Trees turning yellow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberjackboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A few years ago i planted a whole bunch of small fir and spruce i had picked in other places in the wild. The next year i planted a whole bunch more in the same field. The first bunch i planted are still growing find and are green. but starting last spring the 2nd bunch almost every tree has turned a really light green color and some an almost yellowish. I have cedar in another section of the field doing the same thing. Trees arn't dieing but just turning that light green too yellow color and don't seem to do anything. is there anything I can do too help these trees or what could be causing this. Thanks for your help.

I found this great article on the subject. Perhaps it helps explain what's happening. (it's a direct link to a PDF document, so when prompted, open the document.) It's written by a master gardener at Oklahoma State University.

http://bit.ly/7ckv0K

First thing I'd do is to check the soil PH. Sounds like some of your trees are having difficulty utilizing soil minerals, particularly iron.

With a PH above 7 the iron becomes insoluble (sp?), and the yellowing of the foliage is a symptom.

I'm with ddh, check the soil pH. The lightening of the needle color in the spring is not typical needle discoloration and drop...especially since you have a "control" group to compare it to.

Also check the moisture content of the soil. Does this area hold the moisture longer than the first group? Spruces and firs typically don't like to sit in perpetually damp soil, they will like to dry out.

Sylvia

it shouldn't as they are planted farther up the hill so they are on higher ground. would som one dumping salt and water cause them to turn that color?

Enough salt will kill anything. The ancients use to plow it into the ground of concuered people so their crops wouldn't grow to keep them subservient, Joe.

A few years ago i planted a whole bunch of small fir and spruce i had picked in other places in the wild. The next year i planted a whole bunch more in the same field. The first bunch i planted are still growing find and are green. but starting last spring the 2nd bunch almost every tree has turned a really light green color and some an almost yellowish. I have cedar in another section of the field doing the same thing. Trees arn't dieing but just turning that light green too yellow color and don't seem to do anything. is there anything I can do too help these trees or what could be causing this. Thanks for your help.

Any details that you would like to share about how you plant or transplant these trees?

Had you added anything to the soil like organic matter or perlite or anything?

Mulch vs. no mulch?

Is the entire tree changing color or just older foliage along stems?

:)

:agree2: Agree with soil PH I also believe (not positive) but drastic changes in soil/air temperatures can cause browning.
I think fir Ph (depending on type) is between 5.5 and 6.5 and spruce is like 6.5to 7.0

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back