TreeStuff.com Accelerated Rope Wear Testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonner1040

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In an effort to better understand cycles to failure and its effect on climbing and rigging lines used for arborist work, TreeStuff is doing a long term experiment.

The Data:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xKvJXYmYLfNI8x6Fchs0T_dHBk7IL39Bm4jmfUpZo2Q/pubhtml

The Test:
-100,000 cycles at 110lbs
-Each cycle raises and lowers the weight 6"
-The rope is running over a 3/4" arborist rigging block at 90 degrees
-We will test and publish the breaking strength and strength loss of each rope

We will be posting results of this ongoing test as often as possible, and the above link will continually update. Our plans are to test a wide sample of climbing and rigging lines available to the modern arborist.

VIDEO:

I find myself ordering from TreeStuff more than anybody else these days. Have been very happy with TreeStuff, Sherrill, Midwest Arborist Supply, Wesspur, Baileys and would recommend any of them - just seems like TreeStuff has the stuff I am looking for or a better price most of the time. They and Midwest beat Sherrill in shipping by a day (because they are closer - not that others are slow to getting it out the door). Wesspur and Baileys are just too far away for UPS to get things here within a week.

PS: back on topic, looking forward to seeing the results of the rope tests! May help decide which rope I buy next year.

Yeah, well when TreeStuff.com comes up with an official Lardfinger Dropping/cycles to failure test (and broadcasts it live on youtube), I'll be all ears. Beyond that, seems like a nerdy waste of time for promotional purposes to me, but what do I know. Who ever heard of a climbing line breaking from normal use anyway!!?? I mean really,,, what are we really trying to research here?? How many times TreeStuff.com mention themselves in the climbing forum without having to pay extra,,, is that it?? Lol...:laugh:

Stabbing it repeatedly (accidently......cause nobody buys me ropes) with gaffs needs be part of the normal use regimen...

Yep! And I'm not settling for a rope that can't sustain at least 850,000 Lardfinger shock drops. But that's mostly just a personal matter of preference..

Stabbing it repeatedly (accidently......cause nobody buys me ropes) with gaffs needs be part of the normal use regimen...
That and little nicks with the hand saw.
I think the value in the study won't so much be in one individual test, but looking at the list to compare all of them...are there some that wear significantly more than others?

Seems like the experiment with climbing lines would be more realistic if two rings or a micropully is used rather than a big block since we rarely climb from a block.

Back