Treework - Santa clara - Slowmo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't ya get tired of doing those sticks all the time?

Nice vid:clap:

Some footage from a job last week

Watch in HD setting

Thanks

consider putting your chain break on between cuts an putting two hands on the saw at all times , get some formal training, you will live much longer, but at least you have the jam to try, your sawmanship is pretty much non existant

consider putting your chain break on between cuts an putting two hands on the saw at all times , get some formal training, you will live much longer, but at least you have the jam to try, your sawmanship is pretty much non existant

Hey, Juliano, nice to make your acquaintance too.

Ontario ? no $hit. Ever been to Brisbane, Australia ? There's a guy used to post here, forum name was ekka. Something about your words just made me think of him. Weird aye. Probably nothing.

But your post, yeah, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate that.

Problem is ive been climbing near 25 years now and would seem more than likely less years climbing ahead than whats already gone....so it maybe too late for me to learn true sawmanship as you call it. Even though by your suggestion its probably more luck than judgement as to why I've lived this long. Dilemas.

Any suggestions as where to go for the formal training ? Just so I know

While your here i got a few other vids from the last several years also, probably over a hundred actually....and only if you have time you could perhaps skim through and offer a few more pointers.

OK, here they are Juliano, thats a cool name by the way. Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Recoates

a sincere apology, I was just in a bitter mood., its not like me to comment negatively I have not checked out your other videos, though that one is nicely made good videography and music,

In Canada Arborist is a trade like a carpenter or electrician its 6000 hrs on the job and 2 years of climbing trade school, followed by government exams . its also self regulated, they've established best practices and standards called arborist safe work practices, which has cut down injuries and fatalities we don't accept injuries and shrug it off and say oh well its just a dangerous profession these things happen. there is a saying that for every fatality there are a thousand bad attitudes hundreds of dangerous practices and many close calls.
I got sold on using my chainbrake and putting two hands on my saw early in my career

but I cant imagine switching things after climbing for 25 years, its even hard to switch to the way they do things in other provinces

there is a phenomenon in human beings that we tend to believe the thing we were first told we cling to it even when new information and evidence is presented, is it ego? who knows

I cant give you pointers , I just follow literature practices and procedures outlined in arborist safe work practices by men way smarter and experienced than I that were developed over the years

statistically there are way more fatalities and injuries without using the chain brake and using one hand on the saw. ive been a professional climber for only 6 years but logging for 18 years.

I personally know of people killed or injured from one handing it and not using the brake , one guy even injured himself twice, he didn't learn

no matter how much experience we have there may be something unforeseen such as rot pockets, or hangers, that brake might have been redundant the thousands of times before, but completely necessary in one crucial unforeseen moment

Its a work positioning system you don't have to reach way out there with one hand , just re-position your body

a sincere apology, I was just in a bitter mood., its not like me to comment negatively I have not checked out your other videos, though that one is nicely made good videography and music,

In Canada Arborist is a trade like a carpenter or electrician its 6000 hrs on the job and 2 years of climbing trade school, followed by government exams . its also self regulated, they've established best practices and standards called arborist safe work practices, which has cut down injuries and fatalities we don't accept injuries and shrug it off and say oh well its just a dangerous profession these things happen. there is a saying that for every fatality there are a thousand bad attitudes hundreds of dangerous practices and many close calls.
I got sold on using my chainbrake and putting two hands on my saw early in my career

but I cant imagine switching things after climbing for 25 years, its even hard to switch to the way they do things in other provinces

there is a phenomenon in human beings that we tend to believe the thing we were first told we cling to it even when new information and evidence is presented, is it ego? who knows

I cant give you pointers , I just follow literature practices and procedures outlined in arborist safe work practices by men way smarter and experienced than I that were developed over the years

statistically there are way more fatalities and injuries without using the chain brake and using one hand on the saw. ive been a professional climber for only 6 years but logging for 18 years.

I personally know of people killed or injured from one handing it and not using the brake , one guy even injured himself twice, he didn't learn

no matter how much experience we have there may be something unforeseen such as rot pockets, or hangers, that brake might have been redundant the thousands of times before, but completely necessary in one crucial unforeseen moment

Apology accepted, don’t ive it a second thought brother. And I’m sorry too for the sarcasm on my part. Logging is tough and dangerous for sure, props to you in that regard. Arborist work can be both of those things too but perhaps a little more complex at times.

I’ve known and worked with lots of people involved with training and assessment etc, over the years....and while they are often really quick to quote Industry Best Practice and Protocol, on the whole I’ve been frequently under impressed with much of their real-world skills....be it hands-on experience, practical and problem solving attributes. Not saying all of them, but most, unfortunately. To make an analogy in driving terms, ’you first learn to pass your test, and thereafter you learn to drive’.

And my take on that has a little depth to it, rest assured. I’ve been a contract climber for 20 years of my time in treework. Worked several countries throughout....over a hundred tree companies in that time. I’ve been in trade magazines, books and DVDs. I have several products on the market that you can find in the likes of wespur and treestuff etc....just so you know my opinions are not lightly determined or naive.

If you haven’t flicked through the videos (which I meant as a joke really) then perhaps you should, time allowing. Whether it be free-falling, rigging or cranework in the tightest of spots. You might learn a hell of a lot more than what Arboriculture-Canada or whoever else can possibly convey or has experience of for that matter.

My take on one handling etc. If the saw goes down by my side, the chainbrake goes on, look again. The least of my worries day-to -day is whether I think one handleing a saw safe or not. Plenty of situations where I wouldn't, but plenty where I can and do. Quite often it will put me in a safer work position with added stability, offer better ergonomics if you please, and unquestionably speed up productivity. You still need to focus hard, and be very disciplined, but it really is within the scope of my ability to perform without feeling unsafe. And there's thousands of guys like me out there too, doing our job in a way that feels instinctively logical. If it feels the opposite to you then cool, I'm not gonna critisise....and nor should you if someone else's informed preference differs to that of your own.

I take out lots of dead and compromised trees, work in the wind, rain and snow. It’d obviously be much safer to wait for a dry and still day. Allow dead trees to fall over naturally perhaps. Maybe not climb tree’s at all even. Point being this is a business, and a competitive one. It not recreational climbing nor am I a volunteer. Having guidelines and rulebooks are great, but there’s countless times throughout ones career when you may as well stick it up your own arse for what help it is, such is the complexity and risk of certain situations. Drawing the line on what is and isn’t acceptable risk is mostly an intuitive and individual thing when all said and done. You mentioned ego before....I would agree to an extent that may well factor in for some individuals....but more likely not before one’s own sense of well-being and responsibility as well as that to others involved, followed closely by the incentive to make money. Ego may factor in somewhere else down the list.

Dont get me wrong. I would never encourage people to one handle and do stuff that they're not comfortable of. More just to stand on their own two feet and think for themselves.

Latest posts

Back