Tried My New Super Split Today - First Reports

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westernmdlawn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I split and stacked about a cord of wood today with my new super split log splitter. I'm sure most of you have heard of this thing.

All the good things you have heard about it are true, so far it has by far EXCEEDED my expectations. I am super pleased with this product. I split all of my wood today with the engine running just a tad above idle. It was WAY overkill power with the throttle up. It split just as fast as I could hustle the rounds up to it - incredible. I'm gonna say this thing is about 4-5 times faster than a hydraulic splitter with same size engine. My unit has a 6HP Subaru Robin engine which by the way I am also really impressed with the quality of fit and finish as well as performance, noise level, fuel consumption (I have yet to refuel it), ease of starting, and so on.

I do have a few minor grumbles I would like to share. First, when it arrived it did so without any instructions for assembly. I consider myself above average with mechanical capabilities, but I did have to think a few times to guess how this thing was to be assembled properly. I really, really think this is a big shortfall. An instruction manual or leaflet for assembly procedure is a must in my opinion. I don't think that everyone would be able to figure it all out right away. Why should anyone have to sit and guess how this thing goes together? Also, I think it is overpriced for what it is. It is a relatively simple machine, without a whole lot of complex moving parts. I'm not entirely convinced that it is priced fairly at the $3,000 range.

Overall, I give it a big thumbs up for quality of construction, fit and finish, ease of use, productivity, and so far - reliability.

If you are on the fence about which wood splitter to buy, I can say that you won't be dissapointed with the Super Split.

:clap: Congrats,I'm interested to know did you buy it from the factory,or a dealer.
also what model did you get?

Hope it works well for you sure wish I had one!!

Last edited:
I bought it directly from the manufacturer, it took about 3-4 weeks to get it.

I will try to post some pics soon!

By the way, this is definitely not safe to operate with two people (i.e.: one person running controls, the other putting wood / clearing wood from machine). It is too fast, coordination is not good enough.

Glad you like it. Mine came assembled so I don't know about that. The Robin engine is great. It starts easy every time. I get 2-3 cord out of a tank of gas. That's cutting the wood 16"s. I think the same thing about the price. But when you have no direct competitor I guess that happens.

Scott

object>

object>

Very nice unit for production work. I'm impressed that you thought the power was overkill though? I would find it hard too think they'd have the power of a hydraulic unit? What were you splitting? Nice straight knot free stuff maybe so but I wonder about the occasional crotch pieces and such? The Robin Subaru engines are excellent by any score. The equal of Honda's for sure. I also feel like the $3g price tag is a bit much. Good Luck with the unit though and keep us informed.

I do have a few minor grumbles I would like to share. First, when it arrived it did so without any instructions for assembly. ... I really, really think this is a big shortfall. An instruction manual or leaflet for assembly procedure is a must in my opinion. .... Why should anyone have to sit and guess how this thing goes together?

Agreed! That's inexcusable! But maybe it just got overlooked? Still, that shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Also, I think it is overpriced for what it is. It is a relatively simple machine, without a whole lot of complex moving parts. I'm not entirely convinced that it is priced fairly at the $3,000 range.

Value isn't in what it takes to make it, it's in what it does for you. So what if they built it for 2 bucks and sold it for 3000? What's that to you or me as consumers? If it does the work of a $3000 machine, and lasts like a $3000 machine, it's worth that price.

If it costs you $3000, and works like a $1000 machine, then it's not fairly priced.

As long as the market is open and free from artificial restrictions (like monopolies), a manufacturer's profit margin is really none of our business as consumers.

OUR business is what did w PAY, and what did we GET.

If what we GOT was worth (to us) what we PAID, it's fairly priced.

EDIT TO ADD:

Nice vids! Now that I've seen it in action, I am convinced!

No way would that work for the wood I usually get. Very nice for that small stuff, but I don't usually see it that small. I did a pickup load of stuff that size today, though, and that thing would have been slick!

Last edited:
Value isn't in what it takes to make it, it's in what it does for you. So what if they built it for 2 bucks and sold it for 3000? What's that to you or me as consumers? If it does the work of a $3000 machine, and lasts like a $3000 machine, it's worth that price.

If it costs you $3000, and works like a $1000 machine, then it's not fairly priced.

As long as the market is open and free from artificial restrictions (like monopolies), a manufacturer's profit margin is really none of our business as consumers.

OUR business is what did w PAY, and what did we GET.

If what we GOT was worth (to us) what we PAID, it's fairly priced.

:agree2:
Very True

Got an old super split(from the mid 90's)and it is awesome for straight small wood.It will kill 3 men to keep up with it.Bought it from a guy in 97 who was missing a couple of fingers.The machine moved faster than his hand.
:givebeer:

Nice video.I think I would want that table about 6" higher,at around waist high.Much easier on my back.If that thing is as durable as others have said I think you paid a fair price.I don't like to work around a hydraulic splitter with a screaming engine, so I split by hand, but I might consider the SS when I wear out.

Is it possible to split through some really rough stuff? Don't get me wrong, that is super impressive!! But for $3000 will it do everything I want? I see on the 2nd video he hit a piece 2 or 3 times and it went through,but will it split a crotch in half?

Is it possible to split through some really rough stuff? Don't get me wrong, that is super impressive!! But for $3000 will it do everything I want? I see on the 2nd video he hit a piece 2 or 3 times and it went through,but will it split a crotch in half?

Yes it will split the rough stuff. It might take more then one hit but it will do it. Also if you don't want to here an engine they sell an electric model.

Scott

I watch one down in South Carolina at the Sawlex wood show. It was quite impressive and it handled the crotch wood and knarly wood in stride.

Latest posts

Back