Trouble getting a 28" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone else have problems finding larger bars? I checked every dealer and saw shop in my area looking to find a 28" bar for a seven pin sprocket for a small cs mill I am making. The largest bar on the shelf around here was a 20". It just surprised me because we have a lot of logging up here on the Tug Hill. Ended up ordering the bar from Dolmar (ordered the one with replaceable nose sprocket) Tried to cross reference the numbers with Oregon and Dolmar and found I had to go through Dolmar. Woo-hoo, woo-:censored:-hoo

Same here...

Does anyone else have problems finding larger bars? I checked every dealer and saw shop in my area looking to find a 28" bar for a seven pin sprocket for a small cs mill I am making. The largest bar on the shelf around here was a 20". It just surprised me because we have a lot of logging up here on the Tug Hill. Ended up ordering the bar from Dolmar (ordered the one with replaceable nose sprocket) Tried to cross reference the numbers with Oregon and Dolmar and found I had to go through Dolmar. Woo-hoo, woo-:censored:-hoo

Last fall I was trying to find a 28 inch bar for my Mcc....After callin all over central Ky. I found one about a hour and a half drive away...Seems to be the thing too here ,,,all I ever see, not only for Mcc's but other brands,,,20 inch bars are about the longest you can find in shops here too...

Last fall I was trying to find a 28 inch bar for my Mcc....After callin all over central Ky. I found one about a hour and a half drive away...Seems to be the thing too here ,,,all I ever see, not only for Mcc's but other brands,,,20 inch bars are about the longest you can find in shops here too...

I wonder how big the demand really is for larger bars in the eastern part of the country where there isn't much old growth around any more.

Around here-
24" is the typical cut off point for many dealers to keep in stock for multiple brands. Most will have a 36" on hand if they stock 70cc + saws but typically only in the mount for the brand they stock.

Finding any brand of bar for the actual Mcculloch 1-10 series mount over 20" is a bit challenging as some distributors seem to have narrowed the length choice down to 20" x .050.

Some of the multi-mount bars are still availble over 24" and in .050, .058 and .063.

Last edited:
I wonder how big the demand really is for larger bars in the eastern part of the country where there isn't much old growth around any more.

;) The big bars are in stock on the wall of my dealers showroom:laugh:

But we do still have some bigger trees left.

Not tryin to poke at ya.

Bill

My dealers line up is 20", 24", 28" and 32". All those are in 3/8 x .050 btw, but man are they pricey. A 28" ES bar is gonna cost $80+ by the time you get out of there.

I bought a 36" 3/8ths .050 STIHL ES bar last weekend for 76.00 delivered to the door.
I didn't think that was too bad.

Mike

I'm gonna put it on my 056 Super.
That should pull it real nicely.
Not as fast as an 088, but I've got more time than money anyway.

Mike

" It just surprised me because we have a lot of logging up here on the Tug Hill "

I used to spend a lot of time there in "smartville".
and at the old bar there whatever it's name is now..
my friend worked on the windmills for awhile.
where about on the hill you at ?

Huh? There are copious amounts of trees that exceed 36" around here. Go down to the coast and look at some monster bald cypress there too, along with live oaks. I guess you mean areas of old growth to be cut.

Areas like Charlotte have huge oaks all through the city and it's nothing to see them greatly exceed 36".

I have no problems finding longer bars, but usually they don't exceed 32" locally. I look for Husqvarna-type bars.

We Stock 24", 28", 32", 36", and 42" and sell quite a few through the year Plus the regular 12", 14", 16", 18" and 20" as well. My inventory generally covers All Dolmar's and Husky's I dont stock very many of those Odd Ball stihl mounts......

Scott

that's odd. at my dolmar dealer he has all the way up to a 36" and even stocks the 9010! kinda funny though cause here in NM you could cut 90% of the trees with 6400 and 20"er.

Old growth or not my dealer stocks up to 60" and can get bigger ones. In this part of the states there are some pretty big silver maples and elms like 4 and 5 foot being the average big. I have done some insurance work and the sob was 7'3" on the stump(sorry no pics). Baileys is the place that I get most of my toys aside from the power heads because they have the best prices on bars and chain not my dealer, but he's got em.

We Stock 24", 28", 32", 36", and 42" and sell quite a few through the year Plus the regular 12", 14", 16", 18" and 20" as well. My inventory generally covers All Dolmar's and Husky's I dont stock very many of those Odd Ball stihl mounts......
Scott
+1

jimdad07, several of the AS sponsers sell bars, plus you'll probably get a better price than you would get locally.

" It just surprised me because we have a lot of logging up here on the Tug Hill "

I used to spend a lot of time there in "smartville".
and at the old bar there whatever it's name is now..
my friend worked on the windmills for awhile.
where about on the hill you at ?

I grew up in Copenhagen, near Lowville and Barnes Corners. I work on the heating and air conditioning at Maple Ridge wind farm every now and then. I now live up on the St. Lawrence river, just not the same as the hill. Small world.

Huh? There are copious amounts of trees that exceed 36" around here. Go down to the coast and look at some monster bald cypress there too, along with live oaks. I guess you mean areas of old growth to be cut.

Areas like Charlotte have huge oaks all through the city and it's nothing to see them greatly exceed 36".

I have no problems finding longer bars, but usually they don't exceed 32" locally. I look for Husqvarna-type bars.

You hit it right. I should have said in my area. Most of the logging up here seems to be second and third generation. There are some larger trees all over here as well, but I don't think there are many stands of the big ones left.

Are you in the Plattsburgh area? I am curious because I have to go up that way every now and then. My dealer up here carries a limitted amount of parts, he is more of a repair shop than a store/repair shop. I ended up getting the bar for $68.00, no charge for shipping through him from Dolmar.

Old growth or not my dealer stocks up to 60" and can get bigger ones. In this part of the states there are some pretty big silver maples and elms like 4 and 5 foot being the average big. I have done some insurance work and the sob was 7'3" on the stump(sorry no pics). Baileys is the place that I get most of my toys aside from the power heads because they have the best prices on bars and chain not my dealer, but he's got em.

I would love to get my hands on some elm that big up here for milling, but most of them get killed off by the Dutch elm before they get much over 12"-
16" at the base.

Latest posts

Back