Troy Built 27ton spliter needs a little help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ryan_marine

ryan_marine

ArboristSite Guru
I am on the second motor. And now she is starting to slow down. I am thinking about installing a brigs motor on it. I am also thinking about maybe a new filter and oil could be what it needs. It has been a while. (around 200 cords) The motor is not running the best. The motor will paulse around 3300rpm to 3700rpm. I hate to hear it paulse but no carb adjustments on this china made motor. I also have been thinking of replacing the pump. If I do swap out the pump what what pump do you all sugest.

Thanks

Ray

ryan_marine

ryan_marine

ArboristSite Guru
A few other issues that has came up is the handle sticks some on the auto return. So I am looking in to a new filter and a new pump. Any ideas on what the flow rate of the factory pump is?

Thanks

Ray

Somesawguy

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Try running a little sea foam in it. It supposedly works wonders on small engine carbs. Walmart has it in the automotive section. That being said, most of those engines will hunt a little unless under load.

Mine needs a rebuild. The float sticks, and likes to dump gas. A good couple taps with a screwdriver handle usually takes care of it. I also have to keep the choke on a bit to get it to run properly. Then again, it's older than dirt, and has probably never really been serviced. That being said, I can always get it to start, and once it's going, it chugs along. :hmm3grin2orange:

triptester

triptester

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
A few other issues that has came up is the handle sticks some on the auto return. So I am looking in to a new filter and a new pump. Any ideas on what the flow rate of the factory pump is?

Thanks

Ray

If the engine is 5.5-6.5 hp. the pump will be 2-stage 11 gpm.
If the engine is 8-10 hp. the pump will be 2-stage 16 gpm.

kmcinms

kmcinms

ArboristSite Guru
Yup, my 5 horse B&S hunts like that at part throttle, even after a fresh carb job. They are calibrated on the lean side. It runs even with a load on it and when it is at higher throttle settings. Running partial choke will smooth it out at part throttle but it's not necessary. I usually have it loaded down with some knotty wood, so I keep her under a good load :hmm3grin2orange:

indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Just went thru the very same thing with mine, it is on it's second pos motor under warranty. First one dropped a valve, shelled it. Now the second one will not hold steady rpms, the thing has slowed down to a crawl. I had a new 11hp briggs i/c horizontal shaft sitting on the shelf, so I ordered a new 16 gpm speeco pump off fleabay for 125.00 delivered to the door. I'm taking the pos new GC 160 Honda off and changing it to a horizontal set up with the pump mounted toward the hitch side. It should cure it. I change my filters twice a year. Since this last GC motor has only 15/20 hours on it I'm hoping I might get 50.00 bucks for it to help cover the cost of the new pump. If I were you I'd do the same thing, if I didn't already have the Briggs I'd go to Harbor Freight and buy a 8hp, they'll do a good job with a 16 gpm two stage.
I can't hardly beech she's split well over a thousand cord. It's just not half the splitter the Swisher 26 ton is, it runs a 16 gpm pump with an 8hp and just does a hell of a job.
What I really need is a super split, got the DR promo cd in the mail today, they sure look nice.