Truck for hauling firewood/whatever else

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRE1992

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I recently decided I wanted to get a truck to haul the wood I have been getting, splitting. As opposed to abusing my 2008 Silverado. I came across a 1993 Ford F-250 with an inline 6 4.9L 300CI. It has an automatic transmission and is 2wd for $800. The bed was damaged by a rather large tree branch during hurricane Sandy, however the cab, frame, suspension, and axle are fine. However living in NJ trying to find an older truck that is not rusted out or beat up for under $1000 is quite hard. Here are the pictures of the truck, it runs and drives great and has 260,000 miles on it. I do not think the bed is to big of a deal as I could try to bend it back some what with my uncle excavator (yes sounds fun I know) or replace it with a flatbed/dump down the road. I know the 4.9L is a legendary engine known for its house moving torque and longevity. I would assume the rest of the truck is more heavy duty than the F150 both transmission and axle wise is this correct? Please let me know your opinions on it.

Thanks,
Charles

5D52BAD9-1430-474C-A499-121011BD8BC0-696-000000385388CA70_zps2b11b10f.jpg

98CFA5EF-D82E-4E55-83F9-7066B51CCC4B-696-000000384ABA35C8_zpse223f530.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch!! No big deal though, that was a popular body style, and it lasted over many years. You should be able to find a bed in a junkyard easily, and pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure any bed from 1/2 to 1 ton will work. If it were me, I don't think I'd invest in a dump bed for a 2 wheel drive truck. But good luck on whatever you decide.

You can probably find a used flatbed or stake bed for it. They tend to be a little pricey though.

these are great older trucks that can be worked on. that truck looks real solid to, finding a bed should not be to hard if you are not picky. if you are looking for a bed in real nice shape you are probably looking in the 500+ range. these trucks are starting to transition from the run them down stage to people are fixing them back up so good parts are starting to become worth more. with scrappers and cash for clunkers deals older stuff can disappear fast. but like mentioned they made a lot of these trucks. for a firewood truck i would just flatbed it.

the rear should be a sterling axle, keep the pinion nut tight and brakes adjusted and they are tough axles that can last a long time.

take a look at the rear spring mounts and shackles next time you are under. they like to collect water and disappear over time. they are easy to order from any chain parts store though and replace.

Thats a good buy...Ive done some custom body work with a mini ex... unfortunately the body was in perfect shape BEFORE I started...lol

If this was mine I think I would just put a come along on the two sides and tip them back up . then put a hydraulic jack under the lip and make side taller and then call it good ... If that does not work put used box on from Texas or Oklahoma Arizona Nevada .. desert state, no rust .

these are great older trucks that can be worked on. that truck looks real solid to, finding a bed should not be to hard if you are not picky. if you are looking for a bed in real nice shape you are probably looking in the 500+ range. these trucks are starting to transition from the run them down stage to people are fixing them back up so good parts are starting to become worth more. with scrappers and cash for clunkers deals older stuff can disappear fast. but like mentioned they made a lot of these trucks. for a firewood truck i would just flatbed it.

the rear should be a sterling axle, keep the pinion nut tight and brakes adjusted and they are tough axles that can last a long time.

take a look at the rear spring mounts and shackles next time you are under. they like to collect water and disappear over time. they are easy to order from any chain parts store though and replace.

Thanks for the input. The truck is from Georgia, it is rust and rot free, I will hopefully check it out this coming weekend and let you guys know how I make out. I don't think I could go wrong with that price. I will most likely try to bend the bed back, I know it won't ever be perfect, but like I said it is just going to be used to haul things. If I want to go out and look good Ill drive my 2008 Silverado :rock:.

We have a new runner up....

I found this 1994 Chevrolet 1500 4x4 with a 350 v8 and a 4 speed manual transmission. It has some rust, the frame has rust but is not rotted. It has 130,000 miles on it, and had a plow at one time. I can probably get it for $1,200

Let me know your thoughts on this one against the F250

chevytruck_zpse80c8b35.jpg

chevytruck2_zps1b4fa1bd.jpg

The Ford is a 3/4 ton long box and the Chevy is a 1/2 ton with what looks to be a short box. Unless 4WD is a deal breaker for ya', I'd go Ford on this one. Wave five Benji's under the Ford owners nose and drive away laughing hysterically when he takes them.

I'd honestly keep lookin and get an 3/4 or 1 ton. Ur gonna regret not getting 4 wheel drive I would think.

Personally I'd steer clear of the Chev. A used 1/2 ton plow truck with over 100,000 miles is a boat anchor IMO. The added payload of the 3/4 ton will serve you better and a long box is a must IMO. The 300 is a great motor, the auto behind it in that era is probably a E4OD, not bad (although if it's a 4R70W I'd steer clear). Personally I'd wait for a 4x4 F250/350 with either a 300 or a Navistar IDI diesel and a manual tranny, but that's just me... Keep in mind I'm not a Chevy guy so my opinions are admittedly biased...

if'n ya' don't need 4wd, get the ford...if'n ya' do...keep lookin'

a half ton plow truck is gonna have had the dog snot worked outta it...I wouldn't give $500 for it.

on the ford...why replace or straighten the bed...looks like it'd be real easy to unload firewood with the sides lowered ;)

I agree, go for the 3/4 ton. I have a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD with a full size bed. That truck will haul some wood. Twice the loads my brothers half ton will handle with his 6 ft bed. They are not as good on gas as a 1/2 ton but I only need 1/2 the trips to haul the same amount. Not to mention trailer pulling capabilities in the event you end up with one of those too someday.

Back