I got my new wood/chainsaw hauler last night!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mill it. Tops, hollows, yard trees, crooks for firewood, logs for lumber, ties, beams.

Good looking truck, but not for me, I like having a truck that I wouldn't worry about getting scratched or dented.

I'd rather see it milled, but none around me mills. I don't have money to buy a mill, and I am in college. I posted a thread in the Milling section of this forum and got no bites... So it's sad to say its going to be firewood.

Nice woodhauler. As others have stated that 4.9 is a great engine. If I recall it had more torque from the factory than the 5.0 V8. As for the rear axle I would not bother with a locker unless your going way off the beaten path. The 4wd alone will be sufficient for most scrounging operations. If the rust really bothers you throw a set of fender flares on to hide the rust. Good luck with it.

As good as the 300 cu in. engine is and it truely is, it does not put out more torque than the 302 but does make it's max tor. at a lower RPM than the 302 makes it's max tor.at. As for the locker : do it- even in 4WD the truck is still 2 WD- one in front and i in back. Put in the locker and you have 3 WD.

You are better off in those years to have the floor shifter than a switch. A 300 and a stick. You have the curse of the 300 straight six ford, now. You may have it forever, not anything wrong with that curse, though.

Nice truck. The 300 is a horse, great low end torque and almost no weak points with the exception of the diesel-esque powerband. The M5ODR2 trans in those trucks are just fine, keep it full of good Mercon and don't try to powershift it. There is a wafer washer under the pivot ball in the top of the transmission that breaks apart with age and generally damages a gear or two on it's way to the magnet on the drain plug. If the shifter has a lot of play in it you may want to look into it. Enjoy the truck, I've got one as well but unfortunately mine is a 302 crap-o-matic.

nice ride, my 91 ford f250 is a piece of junk, this one looks awesome! if them fellers is sayin buying lockers is expensive, then just weld the spider gears thats all. posi. one time in my 89 dodge ram w250 with a cummins 6bt shakin her I was going up a hill up a mountain trail, I pulled off to the side to take a leak, one rear tire was on ice and the other was on dirt. Well, I went nowhere for awhile, I just set there spinnin my pass rear tire whilst lookin at my drivers side tire tellin it to start turnin. That bugged me. Anyways, I just put her in 4x4 and off I went, luckily both the front wheels were on the dirt. I sure do miss that truck.

Nice truck. The 300 is a horse, great low end torque and almost no weak points with the exception of the diesel-esque powerband. The M5ODR2 trans in those trucks are just fine, keep it full of good Mercon and don't try to powershift it. There is a wafer washer under the pivot ball in the top of the transmission that breaks apart with age and generally damages a gear or two on it's way to the magnet on the drain plug. If the shifter has a lot of play in it you may want to look into it. Enjoy the truck, I've got one as well but unfortunately mine is a 302 crap-o-matic.

I just re read the O/P and saw he has some concerns regarding the "weaker" 5 spd x/mis. Don't worry about that x/mis.I had one and worked the snot out of it.In nearly 200K miles I had "0" problems-not so much as a leak.Still had the original clutch too.Good advice on the no powershift,it's not a drag shift x/mis.I'd still go with a limited slip/posi trac. R/E.of some sort.

Latest posts

Back