True or False??? A cord of rounds...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to read most replies to this. I have always been able to toss loose a truck load of rounds and not be able to fill it after I split it. I hate to take the splitter to the woods. I don't want to hijack this thread but I keep seeing 4'x4'x8' is a cord. But am I right saying and measurement that equals 128 cubic feet is a cord? Say 3'x3'x14'4"? That is 128 cubic feet. I like this web site to measure a cord:
http://metrology.burtini.ca/calc_fire.html

Ray

Last edited:
I tried to read most replies to this. I have always been able to toss loose a truck load of rounds and not be able to fill it after I split it. I hate to take the splitter to the woods. I don't want to hijack this thread but I keep seeing 4'x4'x8' is a cord. But am I right saying and measurement that equals 128 cubic feet is a cord? Say 3'x3'x14'4"? That is 128 cubic feet. I like this web site to measure a cord:
http://metrology.burtini.ca/calc_fire.html

Ray

of course, you are right, anything that equals 128cu.ft. of wood is a cord,
one time when a first time customer said "just so you know, i know a cord is "4by4by8""
i answered (nicely.. kind of jokingly) "a cord of wood is 128 cubic feet of wood, you can stack it any way youd like after i drop it off" :pumpkin2:

Firewood "cords" were taken from the real definition of pulp measure. Firewood cords can be split, round, fractioned split and round, and any other GD way the firewood CORD stacker/piler wants it.

Is it your contention a 4'x4'x8' stack of firewood stacked like this:
firewood-stacking-2.jpg

Is equivalent to a 4'x4'x8' stack of wood stacked like this:
firewood.jpg

Try to sell a cord 4'x4'x8' in the state of Washington stacked like the latter, and you will get a visit by the sheriff, you may get a free trip to jail. Persist and your business will be no more. On the bright side, when they shut down your business, you'll have lots of time to argue. So there really isn't an argument. :cheers:

Au contraire Cerran. The measure called CORD is universally a stack, a pile of round logs, used for pulp, delivered as such to paper mills.

Forget Wiki ( anyone can define anything there), forget "US Weights and Measures Department" (they got bureaucratic hemorroids sitting in those offices). "Clearly" be damned. :chainsawguy:

In the real world (I am not opinionated, I am not opinionated.......) one CANNOT "tightly stack" a pile of logs. How the F wood :biggrinbounce2: you ? Round logs that are piled or stacked weigh enought to stack by themselves. Sorry, "pile".

Firewood "cords" were taken from the real definition of pulp measure. Firewood cords can be split, round, fractioned split and round, and any other GD way the firewood CORD stacker/piler wants it.

Now, wood you please re-read C² 's definition like Mr. Rogers' scientific demo of a cord ?

Whew...................................:blob2:

Odd. In the real world firewood was being measured by the cord way before anyone even heard of pulp wood.

Tightly stacked does _not_ mean with no air spaces. One explanation was "stacked so a mouse can run through it but the cat can't follow". See teh picture of a "tightly stacked' rick just above. That one is stacked even tighter than is really required. Mosst piles will not have all those little sticks in it.

Harry K

How come when I dig a fence post hole, put in a post and refill with the dirt from the hole there is never enough dirt to refill the hole completely???:confused:

Damm I don't belive it, I just switched on the heat pump...

A guy i used to work with told me its because of the moon. Sometimes you will have plenty, or not enough.....

Is it your contention a 4'x4'x8' stack of firewood stacked like this:
firewood-stacking-2.jpg

Is equivalent to a 4'x4'x8' stack of wood stacked like this:
firewood.jpg

Try to sell a cord 4'x4'x8' in the state of Washington stacked like the latter, and you will get a visit by the sheriff, you may get a free trip to jail. Persist and your business will be no more. On the bright side, when they shut down your business, you'll have lots of time to argue. So there really isn't an argument. :cheers:

Now the truth boy: do you actually know a case whereupon this happened ? No heresay, real. The truth.:sucks:

Odd. In the real world firewood was being measured by the cord way before anyone even heard of pulp wood.

Tightly stacked does _not_ mean with no air spaces. One explanation was "stacked so a mouse can run through it but the cat can't follow". See teh picture of a "tightly stacked' rick just above. That one is stacked even tighter than is really required. Mosst piles will not have all those little sticks in it.

Harry K

Now Harry, where were you when this happened ? Was the mouse a fattie ?Odd is right. The truth. You actually know those who had not heard of pulp wood ? :newbie:

So ladies and gentlemen of the jury, here we have two ( "2" ) examples of myth. My case stands. :blob2:

Now the truth boy: do you actually know a case whereupon this happened ? No heresay, real. The truth.:sucks:

Now Harry, where were you when this happened ? Was the mouse a fattie ?Odd is right. The truth. You actually know those who had not heard of pulp wood ? :newbie:

So ladies and gentlemen of the jury, here we have two ( "2" ) examples of myth. My case stands. :blob2:

REad Tom sawyer. That definition is in there. I don't think anyone was cutting pulp wood back in those days (cords also mentioned in that bood) or even back in the original 13 colonies. I have seen historical references to using 20 and more "cords" per winter in those cabins heated with nothing but a big fireplace.

Yes, people cut wood back before modern chainsaws, pulp mills, etc. were ever even dreamed of.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-cord-of-wood.htm

excerpt
-----------------

The concept of a cord of wood emerged in the 17th century, when stacks of wood were literally measured with a cord. The standardized measure was supposed to make it easier for people to buy and sell wood, by creating a unit of measurement which reflected the most common configuration of wood. From the beginning, though, the measurement of a cord of wood fluctuated, as it can be influenced by how the wood is stacked and handled, gaining or losing as much as 10% of its volume.
---------------------------------

I have seen that reference to a standard length of a cord used to measure it with before in other places.

Now when you guys can come up with a creditable cite showing that 'cord' only started after pulpwood came along...

Harry K

Last edited:

yeeess!!!!!

OK OK.
So no fattie mice. Fine.
How about those NW sherrifs that love donuts passing through the stack ? Will that satisfy your cord definition ? :hmm3grin2orange:

Now if you're going to do the "I read it on the internet so it has to be true" thing, then we have a bridge to sell you out there in NeverLand.:blob2:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, who the H is this "Tom Sawyer" ? Some PNW logger ?:hmm3grin2orange: Guess, too many of us are "mentally challenged" Samuel Langhorne Clemens (!). No definition of cord in that tome.

Case rests.

Last edited:

I asked if the pictures are equivalent 4'x4'x8' cords of wood.

You did not answer.

Also, you may take note every state has a Department of Weights and Measures that defines under what unit of measure commodities will be sold. Firewood is a commodity.

Further, if you want to do your research, you will find numerous cases of people selling a 'cord of wood' which is not actually a cord. Check with your state Attorney Generals Office. Happens far to often.

Once again, you don't have an argument.

OK OK.
So no fattie mice. Fine.
How about those NW sherrifs that love donuts passing through the stack ? Will that satisfy your cord definition ? :hmm3grin2orange:

Now if you're going to do the "I read it on the internet so it has to be true" thing, then we have a bridge to sell you out there in NeverLand.:blob2:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, who the H is this "Tom Sawyer" ? Some PNW logger ?:hmm3grin2orange: Guess, too many of us are "mentally challenged" Samuel Langhorne Clemens (!). No definition of cord in that tome.

Case rests.

PS: Tom Sawyer is part of the title of the book. For the mentally challenged like you admit to, the AUTHOR was Samuel Clemens.

"no definition of cord..."

Care to prove that? I may have the wrong story. "cord" is mentioned when he was learning to run a riverboat in reference to buying cordwood to run the boilers. I recall the definition I quoted as being in that. Could be wrong.

So you can't come up with a cite that "cord" started after pulp wood. What a surprise.

Harry K

Harry K

PS: Tom Sawyer is part of the title of the book. For the mentally challenged like you admit to, the AUTHOR was Samuel Clemens.

"no definition of cord..."

Care to prove that? I may have the wrong story. "cord" is mentioned when he was learning to run a riverboat in reference to buying cordwood to run the boilers. I recall the definition I quoted as being in that. Could be wrong.

So you can't come up with a cite that "cord" started after pulp wood. What a surprise.

Harry K

Harry K

#1. Author was "Samuel Langhorne Clemens". Get it right boy.

#2. Repeat ad nauseum : 1 CORD = one pile/stack/ka-ka that measures
4' X 4' X 8' . Or, for the mathematically inclined (on their a$$) ,
a volume of piled/stacked/ka-ka'ed wood that measures 128 CUBIC
FEET.

#3. You want "cite" ? "We don need no stinkin' 'cite' "

#4. Yes, you're wrong.

#5. In the real plane of existence, BOTH of your lovely pics ARE cords. Fattie mouse and all.

The End. Case rests your honors.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the pacific northwest. Here in NC, a legal cord is defined as : Cord. "Cord" when used in connection with purchases of wood is a quantity of wood consisting of any number of sticks, bolts or pieces laid parallel and together so as to form a rick or stack occupying a space four feet wide, four feet high and eight feet long, or such other dimensions that will when multiplied together equal 128 cubic feet by volume, construed as being seventy percent (70%) solid and thirty percent (30%) air space or 90 solid cubic feet.

The crossed drying stack would not be a legal cord in this state. Although mice vs. cats are not defined, it does define how much has to be solid vs air space.

#1. Author was "Samuel Langhorne Clemens". Get it right boy.

Get it right, it was Mark Twain. At least that is how the cover reads.

#2. Repeat ad nauseum : 1 CORD = one pile/stack/ka-ka that measures
4' X 4' X 8' . Or, for the mathematically inclined (on their a$$) ,
a volume of piled/stacked/ka-ka'ed wood that measures 128 CUBIC
FEET.

#3. You want "cite" ? "We don need no stinkin' 'cite' "

#4. Yes, you're wrong.

#5. In the real plane of existence, BOTH of your lovely pics ARE cords. Fattie mouse and all.

Odd, I hadn't said whether #1 or #2 is a cord but if you read the _legal_ definition, #2 doesn't even come close to being a cord.

The End. Case rests your honors.

You didn't need to prove you are mentally challenged.

The point is "where does the measurement "cord" come from. I proved it came into being long before pulp wood was even dreamed of.

If you retards can come up with a cite showing it is only since cord wood I will retract my historical cite.

Harry K

Ran across this:

Word Origin & History
cord
c.1300, from O.Fr. corde , from L. chorda "string, gut," from Gk. khorde "string, catgut, chord, cord," from PIE base *gher- "intestine." As a measure of wood (eight feet long, four feet high and wide) first recorded 1610s, so called because it was measured with a cord of rope.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cord

Ran across this:

Word Origin & History
cord
c.1300, from O.Fr. corde , from L. chorda "string, gut," from Gk. khorde "string, catgut, chord, cord," from PIE base *gher- "intestine." As a measure of wood (eight feet long, four feet high and wide) first recorded 1610s, so called because it was measured with a cord of rope.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cord

That's good factual info Ray, Thanks.
I originally thought the term cord came from the forest industry as in:
'When the woodcutter got injured, it was as though he had struck a cord.'
John

You didn't need to prove you are mentally challenged.
The point is "where does the measurement "cord" come from. I proved it came into being long before pulp wood was even dreamed of.
If you retards can come up with a cite showing it is only since cord wood I will retract my historical cite.
Harry K

Harry Harry Harry, are you having a time out ? Yes, we're all retards at some time, butt you're getting heavy on this "mentally challenged" stuff.:deadhorse:

Sorry you sound like you're being shut out at home, butt we're just poor slobs eaking out a tough life. Easy now on us. Easy. Back off.

Frankly, I could give a rat's a$$ what anyone thinks a cord is, or WTF a "cite" is is. I know. Like ####, you know a cord when you see it. (Mark Twain, or maybe Truman Capote ?) :cheers:

Whatever...........................

LB-

I do believe that this is a good point worth consideration.

Pulp paper technology dates to ...what, ca. 1870 or '80.

The measurement seems to have a half millennium head start. I thought your initial point was a good one. For the sake of discussion, perhaps a slighly more nuanced explanation might be in order.

I do believe that at some point the accepted cord measurement was conjoined in a novel way with the needs of a nascent paper industry in plan]cec like Berlin, NH and Millinockett, Me.

Latest posts

Back