Trying to decide on a 22 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ottercreeks

Reaction score
Hi all, My first post but a long time lurker.

Please help me decide between these 2 splitters

1. 22 ton Tractor Supply Husky. $999.00
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/huskeereg;-22-ton-log-splitter-carb-compliant
OR
2. DR 22 22-Ton Horizontal/Vertical splitter $1499
http://www.drpower.com/power-equipm...ers/wh1-22-ton-horz-vert-log-splitter-new.axd

My big question, IS the DR worth $500.00 more.

The things i like about the DR, is
1. Dealer support, I have a power equiptment supply store that sells DR 15mins from my house and have bought things from them in the past and have always been happy with their service.
2. DR has a nice log cradle
3. DR appears to be built better.

Things I like about the Husky
1. Price
2, gets great reviews

I am solely not driven by price, I want the better 22 ton splitter.

I split around 2-3 cords per year (maybe a little more in the future)

The DR would NOT be worth the 500 more to me! Personally, I think DR wants waaaay to much for their name and that's mostly what you are paying for.

SR

I split 4-5 full cords a year, and have been very happy with my Speeco 22 ton(Tractor Supply). I bought the log table for it($60 I think), and it's held up good for what I do with it. Unless you are always splitting nice straight rounds though, don't bother with the 4 way head. Speed is ok for me too. This is not a business for me, so I didn't need a really fast splitter, just something a little easier than the 6 lb maul, especially on twisted pieces. In four years, I have not had a piece that it would not split.

I looked around at other splitters, but it came back to price, and what I needed, and I couldn't justify a more expensive unit.

NO WAY I'd buy that DR splitter with the 16 second cycle time over the 22-ton Huskee. Some downplay cycle time, but I certainly do not. I've used slower splitters and they can be annoying.

Actually, I'd get the 11 second DHT 22-ton splitter over either of those models:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dirty-Hand-Tools-22-Ton-Gas-Log-Splitter-100171/204642906

If you are willing to spend a little extra, this DHT 28-ton model will still keep you under 11 seconds cycle time:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dirty-Hand-Tools-28-Ton-Gas-Log-Splitter-100342/204642917

Get on Craigslist and pick up a lightly used unit at 1/2-1/3 the price if new.

People jump wallet first into the wood burning lifestyle thinking it's easy free heat and when they find out its miserable back breaking labor they cut and run. Toss some rounds in the truck and give a couple a test run.

The husky has that welded wedge trap that is real nice to "hold" a 24" round from squirreling off, (any round really) and practically works well for a "cradle".

The cheaper price is a bonus, they both will not be super fast, but a flat I beam surface really needs a table, or you spend a lot of energy balancing heavy rounds.

I just bought the Huskee 22 ton at my local Tractor Supply yesterday. They had it on sale for $950. It was ready to go except gas so I filled it up and began to split. 3 hours later my huge pile of logs was all split. It split every piece, didn't even slow down on the gnarly ones. Well satisfied. If you're only splitting 2 - 3 cords a year, this splitter is perfect for you.

Hi all, My first post but a long time lurker.

Please help me decide between these 2 splitters

1. 22 ton Tractor Supply Husky. $999.00
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/huskeereg;-22-ton-log-splitter-carb-compliant
OR
2. DR 22 22-Ton Horizontal/Vertical splitter $1499
http://www.drpower.com/power-equipm...ers/wh1-22-ton-horz-vert-log-splitter-new.axd

My big question, IS the DR worth $500.00 more.

The things i like about the DR, is
1. Dealer support, I have a power equiptment supply store that sells DR 15mins from my house and have bought things from them in the past and have always been happy with their service.
2. DR has a nice log cradle
3. DR appears to be built better.

Things I like about the Husky
1. Price
2, gets great reviews

I am solely not driven by price, I want the better 22 ton splitter.

I split around 2-3 cords per year (maybe a little more in the future)

Unless the DR came with a Honda GX motor to justify the extra $500 (which is doesn't) I would go for the Huskee out of those 2 in a heartbeat. I just picked up a 22 ton DHT that I'm liking so far, includes 13GPM pump, log catcher, hydro fluid etc. I've also used by buddies 22 ton Speeco a lot and it worked great too. So did my old 22ton Swisher. Those are all in the same price range with exception of the DR 22ton. I don't understand the premium price for that one and would therefore skip it personally.

Starting this month you can pick up our 22 ton at Lowes with hyd oils included.
  • Item #: 594051
  • Model #: 101507
Currently 1099, but should be on sale for 999 around labor day.

I purchased a 22 ton huskee yesterday, I of course had to use it today just to satisfy myself that it was going to be worth the price. Split probably 1/2 a cord ( real cord). It was flawless. I split 3 pieces of white oak crotch that were cut last year and left at my neighbors because they would have been more trouble than they were worth to the fella that cut the tree. Grunted through with no trouble, very satisfied so far, makes splitting about as near fun as it can get. Time will tell if it is durable but so far I couldn't be more pleased

Well, I bought the Huskee 22ton, I have about 6 hours on it so far and so far so good. I am very pleased with the splitter, I split all sizes of Oak, ash, and some small pieces of cherry and maple. only one knotty piece of maple gave it a hard time but a quick reposition and it went right through. I lucked out and got a 10% off coupon the day before buying so I got the unit for $900.00

I did first oil change in the Kohler engine and that was pretty easy due to the location of the drain plug and duel fill plugs. I did have to add about 1 gallon to the hydraulic reservoir so be sure to check that after 1st use. Store manager said it comes with the proper amount. (maybe before it gets cycled through)

The engine sips gas and starts on 1st or 2nd pull.

I'll update if anything changes but I am happy so far.

I've had 4 huskees. The 22 ton models. I split roughly 200 ricks per year. With mine. They hold up decent enough under heavy use. The handle (up and down valve) will go out with heavy use and need to be replaced. Other than that just Keep on trucking Along.

I have a few more hours on mine now, I too like the kohler engine, I have noticed that occasionally when running mine it will stutter briefly, it is more of an annoyance than a problem, it does indeed start on the first pull most often, very pleased thus far. 1st oil change done and I also had to add approx 1 gallon of hydraulic oil.

Starting this month you can pick up our 22 ton at Lowes with hyd oils included.
  • Item #: 594051
  • Model #: 101507
Currently 1099, but should be on sale for 999 around labor day.
Wow I got ripped off when I bought mine in may. Over 1200 and I had to buy the oil and assemble it!

That extra $500 goes to all the advertising DR does, the Husky is the way to go. The $500 can got to some other equipment.

Huskee is the best 1,000$ splitter money can buy

Back