Trying To Get Going

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainsteep

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well we got everything down to the job, Got all the cable on (skyline 1150 ft of 3/4) (1450 ft of 5/8 skidline) Than Tracked 2 miles to where we want to get started,ran skyline down the hill (pice of cake cable pushed me down the hill) at this point i was grinning thinking we will start pulling wood now,(dont forget we are newbys at this kind of logging)tail tree and anchor good,sweet i thought. well think again had trouble holding youder boom still kept wanting to swing down the hill, We did get that fixed, tried to move Joe (that the name we gave the youder) up out of the ditch and on to a level spot and broke the right side track chain #$#&$#%%$# spent all day beating a pin out and put it all back together, and we did get done. Know we will try this again, I think we got it right now. also the carriaga i got is a eagle eaglet talkie tooter control, I bought this used from wayne at ACME CARRIAGES man it works sweet, pretty dam neat, great people very helpful there. well i hope to make product to the landing to make some money,running out of money driving back and forth and no loads going out also not making us look good to the mill i just got in with. I will let everyone know what happens.

Hey Capn. its neat to see some cable logging going somewhere else besides the west co.
I have seen yoader mentioned before and am not familiar witht the term. Is it a combo loader and yarder? Like a swing yarder and then you will put on graples to load with?
If its anything like an old Washington TL6 that I worked on it had to be set up pretty level.
Pics when you get time please.

Last edited:
We where using an old madill with an eagle car that belonged to my bosses friend. When that 6-71 opened up you could hear it for miles All though the yarder scene was new to me all the fun was less fun due to the hot heat last summer. I wish i had that job all over again with my mexican buddy. i dont know what kind of eagle the car was but it was about 4' by4', loved eather, and acted different nearly every week. once running it would not die though. even a a 60 foot plunge to the deck or a zip line to the tail tree!

oh i'm located in sheffield just a little ways from u, whats ur name if u don't mind me asking, and was wondering how long u'll be on that job

You might have a twin going out here. Melvin's owner is bidding on a yarding job. Sounds like Melvin's owner is getting the same carriage. It'll be steep nasty ground and we'll all love it. But there's a road at the bottom as well as at the top, or near the top...I better check and see it there is downhill yarding. Seems to be a thing about naming yoders.
I hear there are also 3 drum Yoders.

Just curious why you spend money on that type of equipment? The Alleghenies do have some steep hills, but I am assuming that you are not clear cutting. Couldn't you do just the same with a skidder and be just as productive with less overhead? What mill are you going to? Just curious, NW PA is not known as a high production timber area, more for specialty hard woods. What are you logging, white pine, hemlock, hardwoods?

Here is PNW Melvin. Melvin has been used for bunching logs. Anybody know whether a yoder can use guylines when yarding? You can see one of the drums on the left side of the picture.
attachment.php

Just curious why you spend money on that type of equipment? The Alleghenies do have some steep hills, but I am assuming that you are not clear cutting. Couldn't you do just the same with a skidder and be just as productive with less overhead? What mill are you going to? Just curious, NW PA is not known as a high production timber area, more for specialty hard woods. What are you logging, white pine, hemlock, hardwoods?

WELL, To start with,this area is steep, wet and you cant build roads, the reason i spent time and money on this type of logging is 1 no roads(no envio.impact, no permits needed. no e.n.s. plans,) it is cheaper,and cleaner. We are not clearcutting,thinning for black cherry.as far as production you cant even compare the too. We are cutting hardwoods Logs and paper wood. Also the only thing left here with any good size is hillsides.

Seems like yarding with a shovel without guylines would put a lot of stress on the boom cyls. and pins. I've been thinking about it.

Is that a Young logging front on Melvin? Who installed the drums?

Seems like yarding with a shovel without guylines would put a lot of stress on the boom cyls. and pins. I've been thinking about it.

Is that a Young logging front on Melvin? Who installed the drums?

You'll have to wait for your answers. Melvin was bought second hand and came with the drums on. Melvin will be yarding some good second growth so that's why I was wondering about the guylines. Melvin will be set up on some steep ground and I wouldn't want to see it go over the side. :(

Joe just doesn't seem to want to hold his own weight, while the car is out there a bit, the hydraulics sag and bring the boom down to a very tippy point. So with further digging for info we found that Joe never would, even new, and you have to put a block up top of the stick, with one cable in a y pattern tied off @ 2 points behind you, so you can still swing side to side.

pics r on the way soon, but b patient!

I'm in Sheffield PA.

Joe just doesn't seem to want to hold his own weight, while the car is out there a bit, the hydraulics sag and bring the boom down to a very tippy point. So with further digging for info we found that Joe never would, even new, and you have to put a block up top of the stick, with one cable in a y pattern tied off @ 2 points behind you, so you can still swing side to side.

pics r on the way soon, but b patient!

I'm in Sheffield PA.

We call those guylines out here. You either fasten them around a good solid stump, a piece of equipment, or a stout tree. The tree has to be located where if it pulls, it won't hit the landing. Sometimes deadmen anchors are used but that can get spendy. You might want to reasearch what stumps have the best roots, and are the soundest. Gotta notch them too, so the line won't pull off. That's all I know. Sounds like Melvin will need to be guyed back then. What are you using for a tailhold or tail tree?

Back