TSC bar and chain oil burned up new bar!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjackchef

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought a new 14" GB Titanium quarter tip carving bar for my 346XP right before Christmas. I have been using canola oil in all of my saws for a couple of years with absolutely no problems! While I was at tractor supply the other day I noticed they had some bar & chain oil on sale so I bought a gallon. So the other day i filled up the tank on the 346XP and started carving. I run this saw pretty hard and it revs higher than most stock saws do anyway, but within just a few minutes I noticed that the chain started to tighten up a little. I checked to make sure that the oiler was still working and found it spraying massive amounts of oil on the dry wood as usual. then after a few more minutes smoke started to rolling off the bar and out of the sprocket cover even. I shut it down to find that the chain had been damaged from over heating and the tip of the bar had started to blue.:angry2:

So I decided to start over with a fresh tank of canola just to see if there was any difference. Immediately all of the symptoms went away and I was able to finish my carving. Unfortunately the damage had already been done and the 1/4" chain eventually broke. But it was a learning experience for me no doubt.

Would this have happened if I were running a different brand that wasn't on sale? Who's to say, but I can tell you one thing, I won't be trying to find that out anytime soon. This is one carver who prefers his Canola oil!:msp_wink:

My guess is that there is something else going on here.

The TSC Bar oil is rebadged Husky supplier oil IIRC. and a bunch of us have used the crap out of it with zero problems.

Canola would fling more, and because of a higher water content, flash off as steam removing heat, so maybe the Canola is just hiding the real problem.

Pinched groove maybe?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Something is wrong with your bar, bar tip, or oiler.

I run the TSC bar oil all the time, 4-6 days a week with no problems.

Could there be a problem with mixing the two?

I had a lot of trouble when I mixed some bio/green bar oil with standard bar oil. It turned to gel in the oil tank, what made it out of the tank oxidized any aluminum it touched and stripped the pump drive gears on two saws. I know people have had good luck with the Stihl bio oil but I’ll never touch the Green Earth brand again.

Could there be a problem with mixing the two?

I have been running TSC oil straight or mixed 50/50 with canola for about a year now with no issues. Running 32-36in. bars and still have not had any issues. However, I cut more than most so the oil does not sit to long in the tanks.

We use it summer ans winter ported and stock saws up to 36in bars all kinds of wood never a problem here either

One of those OOP's threads, reading the solution after posting. Gotta be thinking why didn't I turn that screw. It happens to every one, the older you get the more often it happens. Don't ask me how I know.

Yeah, there's something else going on. I run TSC in all my saws with no trouble ever and at $6 gallon I won't be using anything else.

I've used TSC or Farm and Fleet, probably same thing, for decades and have never had any problems with it. As far as I'm concerned its the best or as good as the best out there and cheaper than most.

For cold weather I pour some TSC bar oil into a another jug part full and add some diesel and shake till it is the right thickness. It doesn't take very much to thin it out.

there are a couple of things that have to be taken into consideration here before coming to any conclusion, I think.

How many are running a saws in excess of 14000 rpm-with no issues
How many are running a hard nose bar-with no issues
how many are running a quarter tip radius bar-with no issues
and how many are running all of the above with the TSC and no issues?

Just curious, because..........

I have also ran the TSC stuff in the past on all of my regular bar and chain set ups with no real issues. But the only difference here is that this is a MM Husky 346xp running 1/4" chain, on a quarter tip radius, hard nosed bar, turning 14000+ rpms.

The oiler has always been turned up and it is pulling massive amounts of oil as it always has. Also the bar groove is fine all the way around no pinching.

Never had any problems with the set up before running the tsc oil, and immediately went away as soon as I replaced it with the canola.

I think it may be that this particular set up is creating more heat than the average bar and chain and that the b&C oil is hitting its flash point before the canola which has a higher flash point(approx. 205F)

Just my theory but nothing else seems to be wrong or out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Back