TSP for creosote control

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husabud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody ever hear that if you sprinkle TSP (trisodiumphosphate) on your fire weekly it will keep creosote from forming? I was told that it works the same as a creosote sweeping log.

anything you add to the fire will only have very minor success when it comes ot keeping creosote at bay ,best thing to do is burn hot fires and only use dry seasoned wood .seasoned dry wood is the key .a stainless liner (like teflon nothing sticks well to it ) makes a world of difference along with using a EPA certified heating unit .the chimney sticks and creosote eaters dont really do much of anything and are a waste of money in tests that have been done i n the past.

+1, I was told many years ago "if you melt an aluminum can or burn a whole rolled up newspaper it will get rid of creosote". I questioned this wondering if it were simply the heat needed to melt ally or created by burning a newspaper. I burned hot fires and didn't have any build up.A few weeks ago I took my pipes apart to see how they were after 3 years of not checking and they were totally clean except for some loose ash. I'm not suggesting you go 3 years with out cleaning or checking because I have no idea what you burn or how hot.

TSP is a detergent/cleaner & main ingredient in many chimni clean powders. I thinx it may combine with water produced in combustion & ascend the chimni where it will absorb into creosote. I doubt it will clean the chimni but may turn glazed creo into fluff so brushing will do a better job
Al vaporizes @ 4500*f , liquifies @ 1500*f- dunno how it'll go up the chimni BUT COPPER sulfate is a minor ingredient in some chimni powder i saw- +TSP

I agree with most. Burn Dry, Burn Hot, shouldn't be much of an issue overall. I clean mine 2 times a year. Once at the end of the season, and then check for birds at the beginning.

Latest posts

Back