Tuning a 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tater28

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im pretty new to the world of chainsaws but I tend to pick up on things pretty quick. I recently put together a 372xp with a mildly ported BB kit and a muff mod. I am running 100 LL fuel in the saw with a 40:1 mix. I have been trying to tune the carb in the past few days. I started by trying to listen to it 4 stroke and by reading the plug. Well I had it 4 stroking quiet a bit in and out of the wood. I shut it down in the middle of my cut and the plug was kind of a light grey color. I leaned the carb down and still got the same results with less 4 stroking. Today I hooked up a tach on it, out of the wood It was turning around 10,000 rpms. I turned it up to about 12,500 rpms. I shut it off at w.o.t. and pulled the plug. I had acheived a chocolate milk color. I took the saw out to cut some this evening and to check the rpms in the cut. It was turning roughly 10,000 rpms in the cut. I shut the saw off in the middle of a cut and checked the plug. The color was back to that light sandy greyish color again. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to find that fine line where I will get max performance with out running it too lean. I will try to post pics of the plug after I pulled it this evening.

Set the high speed at 12500 with your tach and forget all that other stuff about the spark plug.

Athens Tn huh? Even more stranger...that makes 4 of us from this little town now :laugh:. Im on the west side of A town.

I'd leave the plug in the saw, set it about 13,000ish if it's close to stock and let it roll....JMO

I've got a ported 372 turning a bit more than 15K, but that's not optimal for a woods saw IMO.

Last edited:
Athens Tn huh? Even more stranger...that makes 4 of us from this little town now :laugh:. Im on the west side of A town.

I'd leave the plug in the saw, set it about 13,000ish if it's close to stock and let it roll....JMO

I've got a ported 372 turning a bit more than 15K, but that's not optimal for a woods saw IMO.

I know a couple other guys from town on here. Im on the outskirts of town in the clearwater community. I have about determined that just setting the rpms around 13000 or 13500 and forgetting the rest is going to be my best option otherwise I am gong to drive myself insane with it

I know a couple other guys from town on here. Im on the outskirts of town in the clearwater community. I have about determined that just setting the rpms around 13000 or 13500 and forgetting the rest is going to be my best option otherwise I am gong to drive myself insane with it

Im just a couple miles directly south of you then..... kinda in the Mouse Creek/ Idle Wild/ Rogers Creek area.

I've been there before brother. Just remember its always better a bit rich than a bit lean. The more your around it you'll get more comfortable.

I don't know much, but if ya ever want a second opinion give me a holler!

My BB 372xp is muff modded and i opened the stock port as big as the deflector and its happy at 13800 and the MM xpdub is happy at 13500.

Last edited:
If you have a blue coil be carefull, you will think you are four stroking around 13.5K +/- 100 rev-limited coil. If using tach I just go 12.5K to 13K stock.

Setting by ear, I just set to 4 stroking and then run it where it clears up when it hits the wood. easy as pie. :msp_tongue::msp_razz:

If you have a blue coil be carefull, you will think you are four stroking around 13.5K +/- 100 rev-limited coil. If using tach I just go 12.5K to 13K stock.

Setting by ear, I just set to 4 stroking and then run it where it clears up when it hits the wood. easy as pie. :msp_tongue::msp_razz:

My coils are blue but i put the ones from my 346's in the 372's so its good for 14100 the 346's are unlimited now

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just going to set it around 13000 and run her till she blows. Like I posted earlier it has had some porting done and a muff mod so surely it can handle running at factory specs

Latest posts

Back