TW3 Timberwolf valve replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am not a hydraulics guru. I am an above average parts replacer. I've rebuilt the prince pto pump and replaced hoses. The previous owner rigged and redid stuff horribly. I need a two spool valve block to control the cylinder and log lift. A simple detent return is all I want for the cylinder. I already have a flow restrictor/adjuster for the log lift side. Any information, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Shea

I'll take a look at that. As much as I would like a new do everything splitter this year it'll be a repair and use what I have year. Between that and my little DR rapid split (rebuilt and strengthened) I should be able to get a lot split. Maybe next year I'll get them sold and upgrade.

Shea

I'll take a look at that. As much as I would like a new do everything splitter this year it'll be a repair and use what I have year. Between that and my little DR rapid split (rebuilt and strengthened) I should be able to get a lot split. Maybe next year I'll get them sold and upgrade.

Shea
The tw3 is a pretty decent splitter, you'll be looking at thousands of dollars to upgrade to something bigger and better, that still has a lift.
I wish I found that valve when I built my splitter, would have made life much easier then my current set up.

Some tractor supply’s have DCVs on the shelf. Might be able to get it quicker then ordering online.

Off topic but, is that Sheas resturant the one located behind MickyD's just off the interstate?
That restaurant pic in the avatar is somewhere in Gatlinburg. Behind McDs used to be Mustard's, just changed owners earlier this year.
The tw3 is a pretty decent splitter, you'll be looking at thousands of dollars to upgrade to something bigger and better, that still has a lift.
I wish I found that valve when I built my splitter, would have made life much easier then my current set up.
I agree that it is. I bought it a couple of years ago from a firewood place near Charlotte. They bought a base model and cheaply added a log lift, wedge lift, and table grate. The wedge lift is being removed. The whole machine looks like it's been in a hatchet fight and lost. Still, fixing it isn't terribly expensive. I would like to have a splitter that could be easier for one person to do everything with as my son is a junior in high school and won't be here forever. Also, I hate not having the tractor available when hooked up to the pump. Going to try the smaller tractor with it to see if it'll perform adequately and free up the other one.

I looked at the TW Alpha 5/6 with a box wedge. I do sell firewood on the side which would be the way to cover part of the cost.

I've looked at lots of splitters and seen the cost. If I wasn't paying for a dump and gooseneck trailer I would have already bought one. I will be going into this with my eyes wide open. As always though I will listen to opinions, ideas, and suggestions. I know I don't know everything that is out there.
Shea

Box wedges make a lot of splinters. Never been a fan, but they are fast at getting wood into small pieces. If your going to be sticking with smaller (24" and under) logs. I'd suggest a 6 way hydraulic wedge over a box wedge. I also seen some interesting modifications of. 6 way, that boxed in the ends, but you were still able to center it on the log with the hydraulics. Just something to consider.
I was speaking with my younger brother this morning, were still set to start building my mini processor/splitter this winter. Among the topic of conversation, a hydraulic wedge thay easily changed from a 4 way to 6 way is a must. We debated a log lift vs making a log ramp, with winch and a saw to pull full logs up, cut on the splitter, then split. Problem with that is I need everything fairly portable and small enough to get on the trailer with the tractor when I go to my dad's place and brothers place to do their logs. I Hate handling the wood more then I have to.

That restaurant pic in the avatar is somewhere in Gatlinburg. Behind McDs used to be Mustard's, just changed owners earlier this year.
Ate many a burger there. I just couldnt remember the name. I can remember when Mustards was located on the opposite side of the interstate. Use to be another good restaurant located downtown straight across the tracks, they sold out and the food when down hill fast.

I already have a 4 way and 6 way wedges for this one. They slip on/off easily. I do like the open top style box wedge I saw. The unsplit portion is pulled back off the top when the push plate retracts and then falls down in front of the splitting wedge. I'm just window shopping at this point, taking in all the information.

It seems like you need a separate log deck to cut on. Not sure how to make it part of the splitter. I can see what you want in my head, but not sure how to scale it down to fit with a tractor on a trailer. If you had my gooseneck trailer it might not be an issue. I try to bring everything home in length and cut beside the splitter. I can pick it up with the tractor and cut it.... having a grapple is handy. Is having an adjustable wedge that handy? I don't mind wood at various sizes, adjusting the wedge would keep it uniform though.

I've rented a processor before. As long as the wood is perfect it pays for itself. Very few options for regular wood so to speak.

Shea

I prefer an adjustable wedge. I can drop the wedge right down to split 2 ways and still have plenty of height. Push plate is 12" tall. 36" long stroke.

Attachments

• 401765-fac96d353ca6751b2c54e3a853224245.jpg
    401765-fac96d353ca6751b2c54e3a853224245.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 401760-0eb11040f2cd828e2b3bcc748d0654a3.jpg
    401760-0eb11040f2cd828e2b3bcc748d0654a3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 401766-75020658881437298d78952a510f3943.jpg
    401766-75020658881437298d78952a510f3943.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Back