twiddling my thumbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frodo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, I have been self-employed in the tree care business for myself for three years. There is nothing going on for me right now here where I live:deadhorse: I am thinking of riding out to Springfield Mo, to see if I could be a part of the storm work. Does anyone have any input. Is there anything going on out there. I live about seven hours away. Any advice would be appreciated:bowdown: Thanks, Frodo

Last edited:
help

Sorry, did't mean to leave footprints in the garden. I am not sure how to get this in the 101 forum :confused:

It's slower than anything in Austin right now, too. Only the city sub-contractors are doing the powerline tree removals. In a few days the big thaw will trickle down to us as people freak out about other freeze-damaged branches drooping down over their homes and yards. Then it'll be non-stop for a month or two. Hang in there.

twid

Thanks Sunriseguy, no ice here in indiana. Did you guys get nailed in Austin too? I here Springfield has been declared a disaster. Thought there might be alot of action there.

I hear you frodo there's not a whole lot going on in Indiana. I get maybe one job a week or something but I'm still a college student currently living at home so I don't have to make much to stay afloat plus I'm that guy with a pick up truck and a trailer that everyone looks down upon but I have been trained properly and i do good work.

Sorry, did't mean to leave footprints in the garden. I am not sure how to get this in the 101 forum :confused:

Actually its cool right here where it is, or in Buisness Management. This is a little over the 'how do I tie a tautline' level that was set for Arbo 101.

for your question, slow in S Ohio as well. I have been working a few days a week, short days. Thankfully I just picked up and started a large view clearing project that I priced a bit on the low side to make sure I got it, plus, its 1/2 mile from my house :)
like another said, if it weren't for my township (city) contracts, things would be too slow. Only gripe there is the 2 weeks between billing cycles, and another 7 days waiting for the check.
With the cold weather setteling in, work will pick up around here.
-Ralph

People just dont think about there trees in the winter when the are huddled inside. Although I am gonna get the prevent storm damage flyer running around here after our near miss with a ice storm.

Michigan area slow?

Family business will likely dictate my relocation to Detroit/Ann Arbor area in the very near future. Any Michigan tree services experiencing these 'slow' times? Is this more cyclical or economical? I can't see doing anything else!

Thanks.

Thanks Begleytree, I kinda freaked after i read your post on forums. I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worth the time to go see about the work in Springfield. FEMA was called, It seems like there should be work to go around. I have neaver tried anything like this before. Maybe rent a hotel room or just sleep in the truck, depends on how much money there is to be made

FRODO
I have a brother and three guys i know that are heading out from Richmond tomorrow to head to Mizzou to see what's going on there. This is what they do most of the year is get a few jobs here in town and then if there's a storm they just take off to make their money

Just checking the weather out in mo. It looks like they are expecting 6in. this weekend. I don't guess it would do any good to go out there and watch it snow.

Trying to get December's clients taken care of. If I can clear out most of my January schedule by the end of of January, I'll be in good shape for when things get busy again at the start of the high season (February).

I'm hiring, but I'm hiring someone skilled in mechanics and maintenence whose main responsibility is in keeping everything fixed. Whenever I hire someone on, things break at a much higher rate and I end up being mechanic/fixit guy for both of us. That just has to change this next time.

I could use a climber if he's OK that Tree Machine gets the really big climbs and he would be OK on climbing the more regular trees.

Hey, Frodo, I've been caving a number of times down in Corydon. The National Speleological Society is holding their National Conference in your town, this Summer. I'll be down there caving for almost a week.

I was really sorry about the F4 tornado that ripped through the Marengo Cave area a little over a year ago. You guys got ripped up pretty good. I'm in Indy, about 3-1/2 hours drive from you.

To apply, send me a picture of the tools you'll be bringing, as well as your tree gear and PPE. You can start tomorrow if you're the guy.

Thanks for the invite TM, Too far for me.Married w/kids About the caves, this whole town seems like it is on a cave. There is always a sink hole popping up somewhere.I would bet there 100 caves around here no one has ever seen.

Then I have a feeling Missouri is going to be too far. Missouri, the southern half of the state, has some excellent caves, as well as northern Arkansas.

Your area is really dense with excellent limestone. I love your part of the state. Mebbe we meet some day.

Best luck to you, Frodo.

Back