Two 10mm wrist pin clips - $4.18 ouch....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lyngdal

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My local independent saw shop didn't have the part I needed, so I had to visit the local Stihl/Husky dealership further down the road to pick up a pair of wrist pin clips to replace the eared clips that came with my last Meteor piston. Last time a bought clips (within the last month) from a different Stihl dealer they charged me a whopping $0.50 a clip.
Not a make or break deal, but I thought their price was a bit on the high side.

John

I guess a shop can charge whatever they want, sounds really high for a 10 cent item but some places that stock feel they have to cover shelf life/storage of these stocked parts including inventory every year they sit there. These days 10 mm pins and clips are in the vintage/collector status, they may have been on the shelf since the late 80`s.

I would have trusted the Meteor clips a whole lot more than anything that dealer was selling. And I've never had a problem with Meteor circlips. Have had two separate instances of bad Stihl circlips where they simply bent/collapsed instead of snapping into place when trying to install them. Bad spring steel pure and simple.

In all the previous Meteor pistons I've install I used the supplied clips. The pair that came with the 40mm FS250 piston just seemed wrong. They wouldn't install with a pair of small needle nose pliers pulling the two wire ears together. I had to bypass the wire ears to get them installed. Slipped on the cylinder and bolted it in place, but by the next day I was uneasy about the fit and pulled the cylinder and removed the piston and went looking for another pair of clips.
I don't think they can claim that 10mm wrist pin clips are a rare item, as they are used on the 026/MS260 and smaller saws.
The new Sthil clips are in place and all is good.

Latest posts

Back