two bits of metal came out of the bar...???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bermie

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ok, good news first...

I have two training courses next week, the clients are newbies and don't have equipment. So...I have access to the equipment I bought when I was teaching at the College. Last time I used them was two years ago, five Stihl 026's.
Whe I was finished I ran them dry, drained the oil, left the gas caps loose, cleaned and sharpened them.

Today, two years later, I went to collect them, I filled them with fresh fuel and oil, cranked them up and BRROOMMM, no problem!! Made me very pleased, I had visions of carb rebuilds etc...

Now the problem...
One saw had been used and returned dirty, the chain and bar were gummed up and siezed with manky oil and sawdust and dirt. It took a bath of varsol to cure it! Luckily the engine and oil pump were ok.
When I went to clean the bar, scraping hard down the groove to shift the cr@p in it, two little lumps of metal came out, down at the end next to the oil holes, one on each side. The bar is otherwise ok.

Do I need to worry? Buy a new bar? I have not come across this problem before...help!

sILlogger

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
not sure..but could they have broken loss during the strenuous process of cleaning the bar groove? they are prolly laminated in...but who knows...i would run the bar and try to have a spare unless something happened...who doesn't have spares...if i had a place to recycle my spare bars and get $5 a peice for them i'd be able to use that money for power bill..or something more usefull like a bunch of beer

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
The oil dams stop oil from draining out the back of the bar. Some bars don't even have them, so I think it should work fine, just run it a bit and see if it's oiling enough.:cheers:

Ditto!

I would use it until it bacame evident that too much oil is lost out the back of the bar. Those dams hasn't allways been there......

Is that bar a E or an ES, or an Oregon made one (just Rollomatic)?

alderman

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Am I missing something here?

Why would oil consumption change whether or not there were dams on the bar? Isn't the pump going to put out the same amount regardless??

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
It makes the oil mound up in front of the dam so it gets pulled forward by the chain (there is a decent gap between the bottom of the chain and a CLEAN groove bottom). Been in stihl bars for a very long time.

Latest posts