Two chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good because I don't know how lol. I may go your route, get a little limbing saw. At least I think you made a thread about finding a nice little saw for limbing.

The 6421 seems pretty simple. I didn't do much to it yet, just pulled off the carb to clean out some paint residue. Some genius in Home Depot thought it was a good idea to spray orange paint on the filter.

Bought one last week I believe. I've been so concerned with finding the elusive four stroke sound I haven't really had a chance to use it.

I love lightweight limbing saws, that's why I've put so many hours on a 41 cc RedMax, and am waiting on delivery of a Tanaka 3351 from Bailey's. If they're still available for $150 on closeout special, it's a no-brainer. I've got huge amounts of work waiting on getting mine broken in (in wood, natch.)

Re 4-stroking, if plug insulator color looks good after sustained full-bore running
, I'd not be concerned. One approach to H adjustment is to richen the H until it 4-strokes in a cut, then lean it to where it just starts to 4-stroke when you lift the bar a bit.

Painting the carb? Que pendejo?

starting your own firewood business is a terrible idea. instead you should sell me that grapple trailer. lol. jk.

my 2 saws are ms460 and ms290. its a good combo for me. my arms get shot if i try limbing with a long bar. its easier for me to bend over. plus i can keep the bar out of the dirt and control a shorter bar if i get down low. its prolly harder for bigger guys to get up and down. i'm 5-10 185. so prolly depends on your size too.

Hmm, do things fly back into exhaust ports regularly? I was planning on removing the spark arrestor screen from my muffler

I doubt it, or we would see hordes of owners approaching corporate hqs with pitchforks. Last I heard, Smokey the bear gives hugs to folks who keep their spark-arrestors. :D It was in place in the 441 that grenaded, so the debris came from inside the muffler.

I love lightweight limbing saws, that's why I've put so many hours on a 41 cc RedMax, and am waiting on delivery of a Tanaka 3351 from Bailey's. If they're still available for $150 on closeout special, it's a no-brainer. I've got huge amounts of work waiting on getting mine broken in (in wood, natch.)

Re 4-stroking, if plug insulator color looks good after sustained full-bore running
, I'd not be concerned. One approach to H adjustment is to richen the H until it 4-strokes in a cut, then lean it to where it just starts to 4-stroke when you lift the bar a bit.

Painting the carb? Que pendejo?

I was planning on using my Homelite as a limbing saw if I can clean out the carb so the jets respond. May not be much benefit though since it feels almost as heavy as the Makita even though the Homelite is 33cc lol. I've only seen a RedMax on Ebay, never heard of them before that. Heard they are durable saws from searching this site. Is Tanaka also the manufacturer of the shrapnel airbags?

Plug is new on this saw so not sure if that will work. Or maybe it has to be new to do that method since an older plug will show the collective indication of the saw. About the 4 stroke in the cut, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing. Figure that's the easiest way. Richen it until there's unmistakable 4 stroking then do small lean adjustments from there until I hit the sweet spot. Then I may richen it just a tad from there to be on the safe side.

Painting the carb, not a bad idea. I want to paint the top cover and the muffler with a high temp spray, all black. This saw needs some flair, not too crazy about the colors.

starting your own firewood business is a terrible idea. instead you should sell me that grapple trailer. lol. jk.

my 2 saws are ms460 and ms290. its a good combo for me. my arms get shot if i try limbing with a long bar. its easier for me to bend over. plus i can keep the bar out of the dirt and control a shorter bar if i get down low. its prolly harder for bigger guys to get up and down. i'm 5-10 185. so prolly depends on your size too.

I don't see how anyone can make money selling firewood near me. Everyone and their brother is out right now trying to sell wood. They all have seasoned firewood too, or so they claim.

No they don't. Minutia ;)

I know lol. Man I can't stop myself from obsessing over this dang chainsaw. I've quickly come to realize the chainsaw part of firewood processing is the fastest and easiest step. Loading, unloading, splitting, and stacking is where the real work comes into play. Much more fun to read about chainsaws though.

I doubt it, or we would see hordes of owners approaching corporate hqs with pitchforks. Last I heard, Smokey the bear gives hugs to folks who keep their spark-arrestors. :D It was in place in the 441 that grenaded, so the debris came from inside the muffler.

Weird how an exhaust port would suck anything in. Figured it would only be pushing out exhaust and not sucking anything back in.

Weird how an exhaust port would suck anything in. Figured it would only be pushing out exhaust and not sucking anything back in.

Think about this. That little piece could have floated around in the muffler for years. Then one time the saw tipped over and it rolled back into the exhaust manifold and at the same stroke of bad luck, the piston was at BDC allowing the piece to roll into the cylinder. Then the guy starts it up and who-la motor is wrecked.

I was planning on using my Homelite as a limbing saw if I can clean out the carb so the jets respond. May not be much benefit though since it feels almost as heavy as the Makita even though the Homelite is 33cc lol. I've only seen a RedMax on Ebay, never heard of them before that. Heard they are durable saws from searching this site. Is Tanaka also the manufacturer of the shrapnel airbags?

Plug is new on this saw so not sure if that will work. Or maybe it has to be new to do that method since an older plug will show the collective indication of the saw. About the 4 stroke in the cut, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing. Figure that's the easiest way. Richen it until there's unmistakable 4 stroking then do small lean adjustments from there until I hit the sweet spot. Then I may richen it just a tad from there to be on the safe side.

Painting the carb, not a bad idea. I want to paint the top cover and the muffler with a high temp spray, all black. This saw needs some flair, not too crazy about the colors.

A. The GZ4000 is a light, nimble, powerful screamer. Great fuel endurance with strato-scavenging, too. Seems to thrive on hard use. Only prob I had was with the rubber fuel line "releasing" the fuel filter, then later splitting at carb. Easy to snip & fix, but originally I could not adjust carb, and dealer geniuses set it uber-uber-rich. Last one in left it so I can adjust it, so now it's spot-on. Question about RedMax saws is whether or not they'll be discontinued.

B. TAKATA made the fragmentation air bag inflators. OTOH, Tanaka has established a reputation for quality. We'll see how that holds up with new owner Hitachi moving Tanaka production to China.

C. Optimum full-load mixture is just that. Leaner or richer than that, not so good. Richer makes for deposits in chamber, ports, muffler, which do no good. Those in chamber flake off and can score piston. Not good. Optimum makes for best power, too.

[Some snippage]

Two-strokes are nothing like 4-strokes, especially in the way they are scavenged. They (the crankcase scavenged ones) rely totally on pulses of exhaust gases driven by pressure waves, not pumping action of piston. After the positive pressure part of the waveform, there is a negative pressure one. Back in the day, when many McCullochs had a totally vestigial "muffler", a tiny square duct with a screen at the end, their docs said something like "don't run without muffler, lest engine suck debris into exhaust port."

About limbing saws, the Tanaka ECS-3351 power head is 7.7 lb dry. Dolmar PS-421 is 3 lb heavier. If that's not an issue, the 421 is a powerful, smooth (like the GZ4000) and nimble saw that is very solidly built. Many pros use them, like for bucket/climbing saws. And, it's at $315 a great value. Like Ron Popeil sez "set it and forget it."

A. The GZ4000 is a light, nimble, powerful screamer. Great fuel endurance with strato-scavenging, too. Seems to thrive on hard use. Only prob I had was with the rubber fuel line "releasing" the fuel filter, then later splitting at carb. Easy to snip & fix, but originally I could not adjust carb, and dealer geniuses set it uber-uber-rich. Last one in left it so I can adjust it, so now it's spot-on. Question about RedMax saws is whether or not they'll be discontinued.

B. TAKATA made the fragmentation air bag inflators. OTOH, Tanaka has established a reputation for quality. We'll see how that holds up with new owner Hitachi moving Tanaka production to China.

C. Optimum full-load mixture is just that. Leaner or richer than that, not so good. Richer makes for deposits in chamber, ports, muffoler, which do no good. Those in chamber flake off and can score piston. Not good. Optimum makes for best power, too.

Well just spent the day trying to set the damn H jet. Found the spot where it 4 strokes continuously in the cut and out. If I go a half turn from there it becomes too lean. I kept flip flopping from 1/4 to 1/8 of a turn lol. Just made a huge mess of noodles and chips in my yard trying to figure out the optimum setting. Finally left it so that it 4 strokes a bit in the cut and cleans up under a full load. I don't think I can do better than that.

Yep you're right, it is Takata. Sounded familiar so figured it was the same company.

Two-strokes are nothing like 4-strokes, especially in the way they are scavenged. They (the crankcase scavenged ones) rely totally on pulses of exhaust gases driven by pressure waves, not pumping action of piston. After the positive pressure part of the waveform, there is a negative pressure one. Back in the day, when many McCullochs had a totally vestigial "muffler", a tiny square duct with a screen at the end, their docs said something like "don't run without muffler, lest engine suck debris into exhaust port."

About limbing saws, the Tanaka ECS-3351 power head is 7.7 lb dry. Dolmar PS-421 is 3 lb heavier. If that's not an issue, the 421 is a powerful, smooth (like the GZ4000) and nimble saw that is very solidly built. Many pros use them, like for bucket/climbing saws. And, it's at $315 a great value. Like Ron Popeil sez "set it and forget it."

Less than 8 pounds, nice! I can carry that all day. Only issue I have with this 6421 is it goes through fuel a bit fast. Of course I can only compare it to my Homelite and I did just mess my whole scrounge pile up by cutting everything into thin cookies and noodling rounds lol. I couldn't stop, the 64cc was intoxicating. I can most definitely see the 79cc kit in the not so distant future.

Well just spent the day trying to set the damn H jet. Found the spot where it 4 strokes continuously in the cut and out. If I go a half turn from there it becomes too lean. I kept flip flopping from 1/4 to 1/8 of a turn lol. Just made a huge mess of noodles and chips in my yard trying to figure out the optimum setting. Finally left it so that it 4 strokes a bit in the cut and cleans up under a full load. I don't think I can do better than that.

Yep you're right, it is Takata. Sounded familiar so figured it was the same company.

So basically, half the wood you scrounged so far is now sawchips and noodles....good for the garden!

So basically, half the wood you scrounged so far is now sawchips and noodles....good for the garden!

Well not quite half lmao. I filled up one of those huge yellow recyclable containers with noodles. Wasn't really my fault, this saw cuts too fast for my ears. By the time I thought I was getting to the sweet spot the saw was all the way through the round.

I picked up my new saw today!! Looked at both the 372XP and 441CM. The 372 they had in stock was the G model with the heated grip and carb, which I honestly didn't think I needed since if it's that cold I likely will find something else to do anyway. I really feel like either saw would have been an excellent choice, just preferred to hold the Stihl, so that's what I went with. Blocked up 3 bigger hardwood logs to start breaking it in, and boy what a sweet running rig!! Too bad none of the cases will fit these bigger saws, I'll just have to make sure it doesn't do too much sliding around in the back of the truck I guess!

16014303382_c1f95cc9b7_c.jpg

Ya, it's weird they don't have saw cases for the larger saws. Just cobjob something, an old plastic cooler with a slot, a big plastic toolbox from home despot, something like that, if you really want a case.

Man that 441 is some tempting..specially now that its on sale in fredericton for 995 with 20 inch bar and chain

Man that 441 is some tempting..specially now that its on sale in fredericton for 995 with 20 inch bar and chain

Yeah that's a good price for sure. Mine was about $80 more than that, but I got the 25" bar on it.

Latest posts

Back