Two Stupid little loops in my chain !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin - These guys are just trying to tease and frustrate you with the "this loop goes over that loop and do the hokey pokey stuff..."

Really the only way to get those loops out is with a cutting torch and then taping the two free ends back together.

Sheesh, everybody knows that.

I was going to say that, But I was afraid he would try it!!:jawdrop:

Kevin - These guys are just trying to tease and frustrate you with the "this loop goes over that loop and do the hokey pokey stuff..."

Really the only way to get those loops out is with a cutting torch and then taping the two free ends back together.

Sheesh, everybody knows that.

Hey,
Thanks Larry,
I wondered when
you were gonna shine in with your splendid Wisdom ???

I often times thought of doing that same thing.
Ain't that weird ???

:cheers:

You know, it would be a fun trick to put a chain loop together inside out and see if the owner tries to turn it around. :greenchainsaw:

You know, it would be a fun trick to put a chain loop together inside out and see if the owner tries to turn it around. :greenchainsaw:

Don't you think us homeowners have already felt that way ??

:angry2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Whoops! My bad!! I forgot who the audience was!

Kevin - Don't do that. You will just have to dispose of those chains. Those loops are "wear indicators" and are unsafe.

Send them to:

LTCG
PO Box 555-1212

Larry the Cable Gut,

I sure hope that is your real address. I just mailed 3 new Stihl RSC chains to you. They are all 32 inchers, so you may have to break and spin 'em to your setup.

Okay, that post is simply not true.

Our parts guy was trying to save a few pennies one day and spliced about 8" of chain from the end of a roll to the beginning of a new roll and made a chain with 2 splice links. Problem was he had the 8" facing opposite the rest of the chain. The operator brought the saw back in and said it was vibrating real bad. The look in the foreman's face when He noticed cutters facing each other-priceless:confused: :jawdrop:

I was going to say that, But I was afraid he would try it!!:jawdrop:

Hey Ty,
Don't you worry my friend...
I may have thought it...
But,

I didn't have a torch at the time... :mad:

My slow typing causes me to respond slowly.

Last edited:
Larry the Cable Gut,

I sure hope that is your real address. I just mailed 3 new Stihl RSC chains to you. They are all 32 inchers, so you may have to break and spin 'em to your setup.

No, that's my phone number. Just send them there and leave 'em on the answering machine if we ain't in the trailer house.

Kevin, don't worry about the slow typing as my seeing eye dog can't read very fast

Ever notice how you never get just one "little loop"?
When you're trying to remove these "little loops" never work on just one at a time, work on them both at once. That's how they get there, that's how they leave.

Andy

Larry Who ???

Larry the Cable Gut,

Okay, that post is simply not true.

Hey Plumber,

Is that a typo, or what ???

Larry the cable GUT ???

:monkey:

Bwahahahahahahaaaaa! No, take the center of the loop and flip it (da whole chain) an' let it hang down, repeat till un-done, sometimes helps to lay it flat on cardboard or kitchen counter :p One of them unexplainable facts of knot.

Yup, laying it flat on somethings seems to help.

Here's how..

ch2.jpg

ch4.jpg

ch1.jpg

ch3.jpg

I made too hard of work untangling chains until I finally one day took a untangled chain and deliberately put the two loops in it. Then I saw how simple it was to untangle them for the first time.

The trick with two loops is to combine them into a single loop and then it goes away. I used to always try to turn the whole chain inside out thinking it was more complicated than it was. But that doesn't really surprise me as I can be a slow learner sometimes.

I made too hard of work untangling chains until I finally one day took a untangled chain and deliberately put the two loops in it. Then I saw how simple it was to untangle them for the first time.

The trick with two loops is to combine them into a single loop and then it goes away. I used to always try to turn the whole chain inside out thinking it was more complicated than it was. But that doesn't really surprise me as I can be a slow learner sometimes.

Bingo!

That's what I did but couldn't word it this well. Take an untangled chain and put some loops in it yourself and it will make sense.

Even knowing the simple way, I have never found a good way to explain it. Very simple to demonstrate, hard to write.

With two loops in the chain, first look to see if they go the same way. If they loop opposite each other, you have to work the chain to get them the same. One simple move does it. Watch closely:

There, that was simple.

Now to remove the loops. Watch again:

Viola!!

Harry K

Back