Tying into the stick Part II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just took another look at the tree actualy it looks like a peice of cake for a good climber/crew though still a bit big for a novice outfit..what you have to think of is worst case senarios who's going to bail you out if the poop hits the fan..can your groundie preform ariel rescue [yeh i know never needed] or apply first aid ..sorry to sound like all doom and gloom but this job does have it's moments

That tree isn't a terribly technical take down. It's going to be a high impact job but they're ripping out the yard anyway. There aren't any electrical lines so he's OK there. No obvious signs of decay/compromise. The fence needs to be considered, but if the homeowner was considering $1400 before (and I assume Anthony's under that) he should still be making enough to cover whatever damage he does to the fence. And I'll bet mediocore money he's going to damage the fence.

He mentions he owns a climbing saw so I assume he's been climbing and removing limbs for a little while. I'm a bit concerned that he didn't know how to tie into a spar, but he's never done a takedown before. He didn't mention, nor specifically respond to queries about a groundman, but I'm assuming he'll use one and will be roping down a few pieces. Sure, he's gonna cut leaders he'll wish he had later for lowering limbs, but that goes with inexperience and it's not the end of the world.

If it were my job would I turn him loose on that tree unsupervised, Hell no. If it were my tree and I knew Anthony had never done a take down before would I let him do it to save a few bucks, Hell no. But it's not about me, it's about a fella whose nickname and signature suggest he fancies himself some sort of tree bull. I think he'd make a great climber candidate if he could get with someone who would tutor him a bit. But my impression is Anthony has decided to do this tree. And if he's been sawing in trees before, he's rigged stuff down, and he takes his time and uses his head more than his saw, he'll be fine. This tree will be a challenge for him. And if he gets it down without incident, he'll gain a lot of confidence and he'll be one step closer to being NY's Saw Boss.

Good Luck,
BAB

thanks brock

thank you for the both realistic and encouraging comments. i figure i may as well lay out who and what will be on the job that saturday to put some minds at ease. my groundman is my best friend who also is a climber. he has never done a TD either however in the event I need a rescue/first aid he will be on the job. he will also be armed with one of the most important tools for this gig.....A fully charged cell phone!! GOD FORBID anything happens we are not cut off from the world. I dont plan on rushing anything...in fact i'm not going to make my cutting plan from the ground. i will be doing that once i enter the top. i've got my gear and i'm ready to have a go.

P.S. can anyone give me any advice on a suitable lowering line.. i was going to use an older climbing line a friend of mine has. any suggestions for something specific to the task.

THANKS AGAIN
tony

so now we have two guys who have no experience doing a take down surely it would make sense to have a guy on the ground who can do a and has done a take down you know an experienced climber??? giving you a bit of guidance..all i can say is best of luck

chunking

not done many sections but got let loose on a large pole the other day, gaffer removed canopy and one stem, he started craning the chunks / limbs into the trailer, i got to chunk down the spar, biggest wood i have chunked down, up to a 72 length chain.

id have to say get someone with experience, as i am ina similar situation (with maybe a bit more viewing experience) it helps to have someone to ask (yell down at) about the silly wee things that make the job easier / safer.

oh and the first times you are on spikes / climbers feels dead odd, im still not a huge fan of them

jamie

Anthony,
I know a few people think this is over your head, but if your heart is set on it and you take in safety first i think you will do a great job. Let all the ' You cant do it's' fuel you to do your best. You can do it!

Best of Luck!

Fred

Cool idea, sort of paint by numbers tree removal. Like those tie in spots but I would double crouch my lowering line like green line to take away some swing impact on that long lead and maybe to switch ends when I get to the back side.

more pics

what do you think so far....cool gimmick with the green and red mike...thank you. that was actually what i had thought myself suprisingly enough. i hope this newer pics help at all.

tony

ps. this pic is the infamous back side of the tree lurking over the neighboors fence...pretty good vantage of what's in store.

Looks like you got a good head on your shoulders. Use, it and take your time, and I'm sure you'll get done fine, especially with all the tech suppourt availible here. Just one small note, you mentioned using an old climbing line as a lowering line. If the line's no longer good enough to suppourt the weight of a human, are you sure it can handle having limbs and wood slammed into it? I'd buy a new lowering line, a three strand makes a great work rope, it's pretty cheap, and will never be mistaken for your climbing line, unless you're WAY old school. Other than that go for it!

Tony, the more I look at this tree, the more I think it's not gonna be simple. But what tha heck, go for it and see what happens. I would take many of the leads out all at once with a buttheavy cut. But that's not a simple thing to do. And as soon as possible I would throw the whole thing.

You need to be real careful. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would call this a 7. Not a good tree for a first TD.

The top could've blown off as Mike says, but this tree looks like it lost its apical dominance at least twice, judging by both the pic Mike showed high in the tree, and the presence of the large limb growing so close to the ground. This indicates to me possibly a White Pine weevil attack. They only eat the terminal buds, thus causing the tree to lose its apical dominance, and the pest is very common, unfortunately, in New York. If this is the case, I woudn't worry too much, as the new leaders are usually structurally sound if the rest of the tree is. I'd follow the advice of Butch's:

Then go slow, and take small pieces. Make sure you have someone that can work your ropes correctly.

Chucky

Tony

Remember what I have been teaching you HOPE !!

Indentify H azards did you not mention power line??

Indentify O bstacles ie fence

Identify P lan discuss w/ Peter exactly what and how you are going to do work

Identify E quipment you will need ie ropes lowering devices etc.

Kevin

PS SLOW AND EASY postpone for a couple of weeks if you can
see you tomorrow!

Tony if you think i am taking my car when we go to do this your nuts!!! unless i get to wrap you in a plastic bag .. dont worry ill poke a hole in there so you can breate and by the looks of it were getting some pretty mixed responses instilling me with so much confidence :eek: ah when did common sense ever stop us anyway :D

besides the lowering line, ppe, and standard equipment is there anything else we might get to make this alittle easier for us and/or any other dangers that wern't mentioned yet last thing i want is to be watching tony hanging 40 ft. high upside down

That would suck

Well I'm pretty sure we've got mostly everything taken care of in the matter of gear. Now we just have to evaluate the photos and the job site and make the plan. I want to thank all of you for the helpful comments, information and critique. It is all always very welcome to me as I am realistic and like to be reassured of that.

TONY

Originally posted by TreeKreaper
besides the lowering line, ppe, and standard equipment is there anything else we might get to make this alittle easier for us and/or any other dangers that wern't mentioned yet last thing i want is to be watching tony hanging 40 ft. high upside down

I haven't heard you fellas mention spurs yet. If you haven't done takedowns before you probably haven't (shouldn't have) used them before. They'll make the job alot easier, even though you'll have to get used to them.

One of the benefits of spurs is that (I'm hoping here but doubtful) you'll have less of a tendency to leave stubs to stand on. You won't want stubs all over this thing because when you start lowering limbs, the brush will hang on every one of them and it starts to be a real pain.

I think everyone agrees this tree is a little goofy and not the best for your initial takedown. One of the reasons is because you'll be up and down this thing all day, and that's gonna make you tired. And when you get tired, you start making mistakes.

Make this job a FUN job. When you get tired, sit in your saddle, throw in a big chew/grab a smoke/call for a cold drink or coffee, relax and enjoy the view. When you start to feel pressured, check yourself.

Good luck,
BAB

FM music in your hearing protection, though grossly under acknowledged, is an essential key to working the high, hard, technical, dangerous ones. Mebbe that's just me;)

i can see how it would help. listening to your favorite toons aloft would proabably be very motivating. i'm sure to some guys they'd consider it too much of a destraction. personally, i think i'm going to hang a radio from a biner in the tree so both my groundmen and i can benefit from good music.

tony

Back