tying the VT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good helper video on tying the VT? I searched VT on AS and didnt come up with much. I have found videos on utube but I thought they werent that great. Mostly goin off the picture in Tree Climbers Companion. I tie it just like the picture but I am having problems with it grabing after I advance. I am using a 32inch 10mm ocean I2I with a DMM pulley and a blue moon rope. And two DMM oval biners I tied climbing line off with a fishermans knot and was wondering if that knot was interfering with the VT. I want to give this system a fair try, esp cuz of what I paid for it. I already had the rope but the rest wasnt cheap. Is my 11.7mm rope alittle to small for 10mm I2I? Any advice? I have been climbing with a closed system w/blakes for a long time. From the way things are goin I may continue to :laugh: But the VT just looks cool so I figured I should check it out. I had to untie it and use a distel the other day cuz the VT was freakn me out. Distel wasnt to bad...maybe I should just go with that. Havent tried a swabish yet.

try using an 8mm cord i found that my 3/8 tenex didnt grab anymore after i switch from 1/2 to 11mm i now use a 8mm beeline and tie an XT, a variation of the VT i seen rec climber moss use stays together better during ascent

Try different combinations of wraps and braids till you get the one that responds correctly. I climb on Samson BRW with an ICE prussik. When the prussik cord is brand new I use 4 wraps, 2 braids. After I break it in, 3 wraps, 2 braids is better. Every rope combination will be different, just play around with what works for you. Throw up a pic if you got a minute.

I'd try a smaller eye to eye or a bigger rope. Also remember that most systems need a bit of wearing in, I find new prussiks are very grabby for the first week or two, then they get smooth and stay that way for a long time.

Shaun

Vt

You just gotta remember alternate your wraps the top line should be on top for the first wrap then alternate. sometimes ill have an extra braid and it will be lockdown quick but will have to pull harder to tend it. too few wraps and it will tend very well but sometimes remain too loose and you will have to tighten it by hand but you have to really be paying attention so you dont go for a ride, sometimes having a half wrap in between is just perfect though it looks a little un-uniform. i just started using as well and is slightly inconsistent because sometimes it gets spun around or whatever. the distal seems easier to tie goign to try it out too. all i can say is i love the responsiveness of the rope hitch over the mechanical and the one handed use and better in sap though if you have to retie in the tree dont drop your micropulley

I can't give you specific recommendations because I don't know.

The VT and it's variant, the XT, are knots that often require customizing to work correctly ...

I kinda expected this might be the case. I guess this means the eye to eye is at a disadvantage compared to tying a buntline.

Thx for the input.

Hey, one more followup, anyone have experience with either of the flavors (5/16" or 3/8") of Bee-Line in a VT on 1/2" rope? I think the 5/16 sounds like better stuff, but Yale sorta weakly suggests 3/8 on 1/2", and the voice of experience would be helpful.

Back