U.K Degree student needs NZ work placement!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slicx

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a student from the U.K currently studying for a foundation degree (FdSc) in Arboriculture and Tree Care at one of our top land-based colleges, Sparsholt College.

The course is two years, though contains one year (starting next summer) where I am expected to get a job in the industry to gain practical experience.

After I qualify, I am planning on emigrating to New Zealand and see this gap year as a perfect chance to visit the country and also gain experience of the native flora that will prove invaluable once qualified and looking for a full-time job there.

I am looking for an arboricultural company that will take me on in a trainee-type position, full time if possible.

Salary is very negotiable.

I will have relevant chainsaw and climbing (aerial rescue) tickets by then, and am very keen to learn.

Please reply if you can help in any way, even if just for advice, I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Many thanks,

Yours faithfully,

Samuel Claxon

NZ Arborist Position

Hi,
Have you carried out any work around power lines? I am a project manager for a company which looks after around 40,000 poles for a central Waikato Utility company.

Wayne

Hi,
Have you carried out any work around power lines? I am a project manager for a company which looks after around 40,000 poles for a central Waikato Utility company.

Wayne

I'm afraid I have very little practical experience, which is what is making this so hard. I will only have basic chainsaw maintenance, usage and climbing qualifications and am so looking for a humble position as a groundsman/junior climber in a firm or as an assistant tree officer.

- Sam.

Treescape NZ and Asplundh NZ are always taking on guys, they are the two biggest companys in New Zealand. They will offer additional training too.

Expect crap wages though...

Good luck, James

Back