Ultrasonic cleaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my cheap plastic one did,nt last long, the cheap stainless steel one is still running good
if a carb is too big i put a taller plastic tub inside it
and i use a strong detergent mix (traffic film remover type stuff)

Yes, don't know the model tag has long since faded. It's made by l&r holds about a half gallon. Works great. Don't think I'd bother to rebuild carbs without one. I use simple green and water in it.

They work really well. You get what you pay for. Get bigger than you think you'll need
Very true, I got mine at a yard sale. so i didn't have a choice and it was dirt cheap, but, Wish it was a gallon size or larger. Can just get a bare holley carb body in mine, and it doesn't hold a lot of brass either. Wife likes to clean her jewelry in it as well. Million uses for them.

They work excellent but beware of causing damage to internal check valves on zama carbs...yup learned to only rinse them the hard way. I use dawn if they are not gummy and simple green aviation if they are gummy...in a mason jar with plain water in the tank. They seem to work very well on fixed jet carbs and I like to put fasteners in as well. They heat up on their own if run long enough so I add hot water and let her wobble.

Pinesol with dishsoap and water is my mix. Start with hot water too. The glass jar is good for small parts.

I've got two, of different sizes. Bought them used on Ebay years ago. Good advice to go larger rather than smaller. I made baskets shaped like the tank from 1/4" wire mesh to keep parts away from the walls and bottom; also easier to remove items - just lift out the basket A Dawn solution is my usual mix. The mason jar idea is good for small parts and will also let you use solvents that you wouldn't want to fill a large tank with indoors. The glass transmits the vibrations well. I find US cleaning very useful for carburetors, bearings, and basically anything dirty.

Anyone cleaned older chains in one?
I have some pretty old chains to some vintage saws that could use new life.
Don't see why it wouldn't work. Ive cleaned all sorts of things in mine, just never thought of chains. Just need to dry them off and get some oil worked into them after you take them out

Vinegar mixed 50/50 with water works good but I use a rinse soak in baking soda to stop (neutralize) the vinegar after doing the US. Only has to be done briefly so as to neutralize the vinegar action, just a brush one application will do. Spoonful of baking soda in a quart of water.
The vinegar is a acid and will cause metal to rust and aluminum or magnesium to feel greasy and turn the aluminum black if not neutralized.
Some of the other cleaners such a purple power acts about same, leaving the aluminum greasy feeling. I suspect that just water would be good because it's the US action that does the break-up of the clogged little particles in the jets.
I bought a large US awhile back from Amazon seller and it's great for the big auto carbs.
Get a bigger unit than you think you need. Also get one that runs at least 30 min and you can also dial adjust the temp.

How would vinegar work on carbs?
I would be extremely careful with anything acidic (i,e vinegar) or caustic (i.e. many other cleaners like Simple Green. Both the idle transition drillings and more importantly mixture screw adjustment seats are base metal and can be pretty easily damaged. Heat will greatly accelerate the etching process.

I generally use solvent based carb cleaner in a capped glass jar with water in the US tank.

Latest posts

Back