Unbelievable Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan-Tor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Look at this:
73381597filoc-549-3.jpg

http://www.filoc.com/

:chainsawguy:

The problems as I see them are that
  1. you would need a separate one for each gauge of chain
  2. difficulty/expense of changing filing surface when it wears

What do you all think?

I have difficulty to believe you can keep your angles with that thing. Looks like a Black&Decker kinda toy to me, but give it to me for two minutes, and I'll confirm it.:rolleyes:
Depth would seem to be the biggest variable to me. The other angles should be consistent.

Interesting, It lists, for .325 at least, at €80, I've forgotten the excahange rate, but it's pricey.

I watched the video, you line it up on the teeth, two at a time, and that sets the depth, run it through, pull the drive rod out and change the rotor for the other side and do it again. Pretty neat. I wonder how the diamonds wear and how often they would need cleaned.
It is a neat idea I must say!!

What I dont understand is if this thing moves the chain along for you, how does it keep enough pressure on the tooth to get it sharp?

What I dont understand is if this thing moves the chain along for you, how does it keep enough pressure on the tooth to get it sharp?

Hard to tell, but it could easily have a slight gripper on it that holds pressure against the rotation--a slight spring clamp of sorts.

Think I'd pass on that one too, wonder what happens when you have a doubled link? Does it start to sharpen the wrong teeth?

:monkey: :chainsawguy: :monkey:

It would have to have two separate rotors, one for each side. it would give the effect of handle high filing which is the opposite of what most recommended. It will give a top cutter shape like a swooping stroke on a hand file and could not be readily touched up with a hand file. The cheap diamond coated tools I have used shed their diamonds pretty quick! gimmick! widget!:buttkick:

Nice picture
I was hoping for a dark haired girl in a two piece swin suit bent over with a file in hand working on a chain.
Don't need anymore tools right now.
But I could sure use some eye candy!
Thanks

http://www.filoc.com/

Look at the rough shape the bar is in that link, I don't think I'd trust that sawyers opinion.

Interesting idea, I suppose, but all that plastic and complexity puts me off. Even if it worked at first, seems like as soon as it quick doing what you want you would have no idea why and what to do.

For now I'll stick to my Silveys. ;)

Last edited:
Hmmmmm

Notice the dates on the website...

Marketing of Filoc .325 Diamond started in Denmark December 2003 by dealers normally dealing with motorchainsaws.

Other areas are expected to be started up in the spring of 2004.

If it was good it would have caught on by now!

Still nice to see someone thinking out of the box.

What really needs to happen is the manufacturers to build this in the saw so it just automatically sharpens as needed. Lots of other cutting systems do this!

Latest posts

Back