Unbelievable wood find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Neighbor and I were heading out to sight in some rifles, and in a few miles we came across the wood find that I still can't believe. Just off the road 3 ~25 foot 14 to 16" logs, bucked of branches, 90% cut at 16" lengths, no rot but a bit green still. We jumped out, verified what our eyes were seeing. Raced back and hooked up the trailer, and raced back to the logs. I felt like we were robbing a bank. We finished the cuts, loaded and were heading back home in 5 or so minutes. In total 30+ logs that we split evenly, and for me that is about a weeks worth of heat in December. What a find. I wish it was this easy all the time.

MontanaResident, are you in a region where the utility company just cuts and leaves wood for 'whoever to take' on their right-of-way land?

I've heard of this, but it typically doesn't work that way around here.

MontanaResident, are you in a region where the utility company just cuts and leaves wood for 'whoever to take' on their right-of-way land?

I've heard of this, but it typically doesn't work that way around here.

Utilities and the Forest Service. All of that gets left behind, and if not bordering on private land, gets taken very fast. I got over a cord this year after the phone or electric company's hired contractors cut trees that were threatening some lines.

Oregon and Washington have been under "extreme fire danger" shutdown conditions for about ten days now. About a week ago we had a pretty good windstorm that took down quite a few trees, including 28 across the road from my sons place down to where to county had cleared the road. He spent half a day bucking out the road so that they could get in and out. In spite of the closure order, all of the wood is now gone! The biggest tree was a 32" Doug Fir - probably a cord of wood in the road!
We didn't get any of it :(

Oregon and Washington have been under "extreme fire danger" shutdown conditions for about ten days now. About a week ago we had a pretty good windstorm that took down quite a few trees, including 28 across the road from my sons place down to where to county had cleared the road. He spent half a day bucking out the road so that they could get in and out. In spite of the closure order, all of the wood is now gone! The biggest tree was a 32" Doug Fir - probably a cord of wood in the road!
We didn't get any of it :(

Yup! Easy wood is for the fast acting. Hesitate and you get nothing.

In my area, most cutting is hazardous, so left over wood is a gift. If I am in the process of taking the wood and someone comes along and says, "Hey that is ours", then I will even help them load it. If nobody comes along, it is MINE.

That sounds naughty to me. Clip round the ear coming your way :buttkick:

I told my neighbor it was like finding money. Seem we have some very honest people on this forum, who would see a twenty and think: "Not mine, better leave it so its owner can find it again". Yeah, right. :laughing:

Nothing about that situation says "free to take" to me.

Unless I knew for sure it was actually free, I wouldn't touch it.

Perhaps it was a deck of logs belonging to someone and that was what remained?

Or maybe it was a deck of logs someone else was stealing wood from and you come around and steal the last bit... and get caught.
Now you're on the hook for 5 cords of wood.

As for the found cash, I'd make a reasonable effort to find the owner.

Nothing about that situation says "free to take" to me.

Unless I knew for sure it was actually free, I wouldn't touch it.

Perhaps it was a deck of logs belonging to someone and that was what remained?

Or maybe it was a deck of logs someone else was stealing wood from and you come around and steal the last bit... and get caught.
Now you're on the hook for 5 cords of wood.

As for the found cash, I'd make a reasonable effort to find the owner.

Let me see if I understand this. In your world it is illegal to take logs laying on the ground, in the forest that are against the side of the road?

If it is like cutting in the Mt. Hood National Forest, where we typically cut, if you leave it, it is up for grabs, there is an undefined limit to what you can "Claim" while in a cutting area. Obviously, I won't cut from the other end of a log someone else is cutting on, but you can't pull over and "Lay Claim" to everything in sight, but some will try.

If that was on public lands open to cutting, sounds like it was fair game to me.

I have passed up a LOT, of Right of way clearings, simply because, I wasn't SURE where the Highway right of way ended, and private property began, there are a lot of power company fallings, that are now Garbage because, I wasn't SURE if it was up for grabs or not, Makes me SICK,:baba: looking at a lot of wood just rotting away.

Doug :cheers:

Back