Under the covers of the MS201T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats true to an extent but a lot of it is deserved. the husky saws are all lighter or the same weight as the saws its replacing with newer features and designs that are slimmer. they are also always faster so they win in innovation. stihl is just doing the same thing with no originality adding more bulk and weight. they just replace models with compliant models. husky is the pioneer is chainsaw tech maybe stihl is just more durable.

Oh Flim whats that ya saying, well lookie here ole boy,

A world first: Electronic fuel injection
STIHL has presented a world first at the start of the 2011/2012 season in the form of the STIHL TS 500i cut-off machine. It is not only the first product of its kind to feature electronic fuel injection but the first handheld power tool ever to make use of this futuristic engine technology. The STIHL computer-mapped fuel injection system continuously and precisely determines fuel mixture, injected quantity, injection and ignition timing. Dr. Kandziora is a firm believer in the new technology: "It ensures really easy starts and optimum engine power at all times with excellent running behavior and throttle response as well as greater fuel economy and lower emissions. With the STIHL TS 500i even the toughest of cutting operations will be performed more easily and efficiently than ever before. As it has no carburetor, this highly innovative power pack is characterized by much more power in the same space and thus has an exceptional power to weight ratio."

Last edited:
Well Rick I should have said "I think I pulled that move?". I had a mate who was an absolute gun with Saturday Night Fever etc.

I doubt stihl would mess too hard with such a successful saw but time will tell on the 201. The spring antivibe should be an improvement but it is really the weight and balance that will make or break the saw. The 200t is well respected amoung tree guys but the design is archaic and most I know would not hesitate to make a switch if something better came along. So far, nothing has come even close.

I'm hoping it's an improvement for sure. Arborists out here seem very hesitant at this stage as all the ones I've dealt with run and love 200T's. A number of Arborists around Melbourne grabbed 200T's off me once they heard the 201T was moving in and another heap are waiting for me to run a 201T and get back to them before they make the plunge. One guy bought 3 :)

A world first: Electronic fuel injection It is not only the first product of its kind to feature electronic fuel injection but the first handheld power tool ever to make use of this futuristic engine technology

That's cool and all, but that statement is a little bogus. "fururistic"???????????? WTF? There ain't nothing futuristic about fuel injection.

That's cool and all, but that statement is a little bogus. "fururistic"???????????? WTF? There ain't nothing futuristic about fuel injection.

Yes and no, its a first for a 2 cycle engine. They were talking about it coming back in 07-08. At that time it was on the drawing board. Looks like its been brought to life. I'm curious to see what it costs and when they're going to install on the chainsaws, should be fun....

Yes and no, its a first for a 2 cycle engine. They were talking about it coming back in 07-08. At that time it was on the drawing board. Looks like its been brought to life. I'm curious to see what it costs and when they're going to install on the chainsaws, should be fun....

Sure, but I don't think its a first on a 2 cycle engine either. Maybe first on a chainsaw, but doughtful its first on a 2 cycle.

Sure, but I don't think its a first on a 2 cycle engine either. Maybe first on a chainsaw, but doughtful its first on a 2 cycle.

I was thinking the samething but when pondering on it I can't think of any such machine. I know there may be some small 4 cycle jobs out there but I can't think of any 2 cycle machines using fuel injection.

I can't wait to see how it works with two year old gummy fuel, that should be interesting,LOL

I was thinking the samething but when pondering on it I can't think of any such machine. I know there may be some small 4 cycle jobs out there but I can't think of any 2 cycle machines using fuel injection.

I can't wait to see how it works with two year old gummy fuel, that should be interesting,LOL

Ya, I'm sure its not very common, but there has been 2cycle fuel injection. Some old Detroit Diesel's are 2 cycle and they are fuel injection, maybe not electronic but fuel injection none the less.

quick google search came up with this. Coming Soon? KTM Fuel Injected Two Stroke :: Two Stroke Motocross

Yes, I can imagine its going to be a service nightmare if people abuse their saws like they normally do.

Goliath GP700 (1950–1957) — two-cylinder, inline, two-stroke, water-cooled, transverse engine (anticipating the Mini and many recent cars). In 1952 introduced Bosch direct fuel injection, around the same time as the Gutbrod Superior 600; they were the first two cars to use this technology.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Look! Flippy caps for dummies! "Line up the marks, fool!"

attachment.php

Ya, I'm sure its not very common, but there has been 2cycle fuel injection. Some old Detroit Diesel's are 2 cycle and they are fuel injection, maybe not electronic but fuel injection none the less.

quick google search came up with this. Coming Soon? KTM Fuel Injected Two Stroke :: Two Stroke Motocross

Yes, I can imagine its going to be a service nightmare if people abuse their saws like they normally do.

I can see it now, your injector is stopped up, I THINK,LOLOL I hope they got the tools to go along with that new system to test it when it goes down, I know I don't...

I can see it now, your injector is stopped up, I THINK,LOLOL I hope they got the tools to go along with that new system to test it when it goes down, I know I don't...

I'm real qurious to see how this system works. I mean it would have to be very compact, what kind of sensors does it use to figure out the fuel map? Must be a small fuel pump? What kind of fuel pressure does it run? The simple auto systems use RPM, MAP, and Intake Air temp.

I'm real qurious to see how this system works. I mean it would have to be very compact, what kind of sensors does it use to figure out the fuel map? Must be a small fuel pump? What kind of fuel pressure does it run? The simple auto systems use RPM, MAP, and Intake Air temp.

I'm as curious as you are. If it works like those on cars and is as relaible it will be awesome, if not, it could be a nitemare, time will tell.....

A world first: Electronic fuel injection
STIHL has presented a world first at the start of the 2011/2012 season in the form of the STIHL TS 500i cut-off machine. It is not only the first product of its kind to feature electronic fuel injection but the first handheld power tool ever to make use of this futuristic engine technology. The STIHL computer-mapped fuel injection system continuously and precisely determines fuel mixture, injected quantity, injection and ignition timing. Dr. Kandziora is a firm believer in the new technology: "It ensures really easy starts and optimum engine power at all times with excellent running behavior and throttle response as well as greater fuel economy and lower emissions. With the STIHL TS 500i even the toughest of cutting operations will be performed more easily and efficiently than ever before. As it has no carburetor, this highly innovative power pack is characterized by much more power in the same space and thus has an exceptional power to weight ratio."
oh my, wonder what all the stihl haters will have to say about this????????

I'm as curious as you are. If it works like those on cars and is as relaible it will be awesome, if not, it could be a nitemare, time will tell.....
i have a 450 dirt bike with battery-less FI and it works awesome. 2-3 kicks max cold, 1/2 a kick warm, and you are off to the races.

Im getting hold of a new one of these to "demo" in the next few weeks,I told the dealer who i spend up to $50k a year with i wouldnt buy one without a demo first,It COULD be a 361 type of thing first model is ok but not great.

Im getting hold of a new one of these to "demo" in the next few weeks,I told the dealer who i spend up to $50k a year with i wouldnt buy one without a demo first,It COULD be a 361 type of thing first model is ok but not great.

Cool. Make sure you post back. I might have a 201T in my mitts by then too.

The first fuel injected 2 stroke snowmobile came out in 1991 FWIW. Polaris 650 RXL

i'm a stihl/husky/dolmar man.... but for topping trees in the forest industry everyone ran stihl because the revved high and have the torque to chew through 2'+ diameter tops...I've heard that these new stihls lack the chain speed and the torque....which would really suck as I missed out on this whole changeover and need a new top handle saw. Are they as bad as I've been told...

they probably hold on tight to the other saw brands and really feel sorry for the stihl owners that are surrendered to the $$$ power of the stihl dealers just to tune their saw....:hmm3grin2orange:.
fuel injection on a stock motor will tune itself. Muffler-modding one will be different story

Latest posts

Back