Uniforms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appearance makes all the difference and sets a good company apart from the rest. Were I work we get green shirts, jackets and sweatshirts. Hard hats, safety glasses and gloves are also supplied. Long pants must be worn and they must be green as well. Most of the guys were the carrharts or arbor wear. The spray guys get polo shirts to wear if they choose to. Also everyone wears there pants were they are supposed to be as well as the shirts tucked in, though it isn't required it looks much better.
Boots and pants are not payed for by the company but there is a $100 allowance a year. As well as the boots must be appropriate for the job either logger boots or a heavy hiking or mountaineering style boot.

I hope all of you realize that all of this free uniform and boot service is a substitute for higher pay.

buff said:
I hope all of you realize that all of this free uniform and boot service is a substitute for higher pay.

I hope that you realize, if you require uniforms, then you must provide them. otherwise I can wear what I see fit. Don't be a hack, take care of your employees, they will thank and respect you more for it.

-Steve

buff said:

No that is just the excuse you get when you ask for the raise you deserve. If you want to run a professional tree service cloth your employers and pay them competative wages.

Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie. I guess you guys all vote democrat too.

John464 said:
where is everyone buying their silk screen T shirts at? my local guy is charging me $10.25 per shirt in quanities of 24 for a front and back logo, double color. Is that a good price?

Thats pretty decent esp if they're 100%cotton, both sides?, quality print?, 2 color?, yep, can't beat that up here even with the exchange. Have to agree on the price as fair even with our megre exchange rate. Though the thread title said 'uniform', the point is don't look like a bum scabbing a day or twos work for a fix. Clean? Well not always eh considering the nature of the profession but not ripped to shreds is good. Its all relative I suppose, if you're working in Beverly Hills maybe a prissy anal outfit would be suitable, but in the real world people should wear what is safe and comfortable. Side note, if you're slashing brush shorts are stupid even if comfortable. Making your crew wear the company colors is an okay idea but if you had an excellent worker who didn't care for it its not a big deal imo as long as their funk doesn't make ya hang outta the windows. its all good.
Just my 0.02$ worth on a stinkin' hot west caost day (and I spent a good part covered in cedar sawdust replacing a house's porch posts, nice (not).

Cheers, :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Serge

buff said:
Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie. I guess you guys all vote democrat too.

NAh, mostly republican. You sound like the type of fella that would be mad at the minimum raise going up. Am I right?

I think you are missing the point here. It isn't GIMMIE at all. Don't give me the stuff, fine, I won't wear it. You're the one that wants to make me buy your uniform. Get real dood. Welcome to the 80's, 90's, oh wait, it is 2006 already, isn't it? :laugh:

:notrolls2:

I like longsleeved shirts, with cert patches. Look knowledgeable and you might fool some of the people...sleeves keep arms clean and evaporate more so i'm actually cooler than in a T.

i remember when a new co. came in town and advertised "uniformed crews". I called the boss and told him about the typo--"Hey man they left the second "n' out of "uninformed"..He did not laugh but I did.:hmm3grin2orange:

Work clothes and boots along with basic hand gear are what fills up your gas tank, pays the rent and purchases food for your family. If you do not own these, what else more important do you own? I do not know about minimum wage. I have never worked for minimum wage. But it is fair enough that people who work the minimum get what they are worth.

A few years back, the company I work for started requiring us to wear shirts and hats with the company logo. I thought it was a good idea since the company was paying for the shirts and I am very rough on my clothing. However, by the end of the first month, after having destroyed almost a dozen shirts (all accidental, caught on stubs, snags, etc) the boss decided I should supply my own shirts since I was cutting too deeply into the profit margin.:biggrinbounce2: My groundies still wear the company shirts but I like jeans and carhartt tshirts-they seem to hold up well.

I agree with the boss. Twelve shirts in twenty work days is enough of a free ride. You were just two shirts a week of "accidently" tearing up a new shirt every day.

are guys get 12 shirt a year. if they can't make them last they have to pay for more. none of are men have ever had to get more!

Must just be me then. Heck I've totally wasted two pairs of jeans within the first couple of hours on the job (shagbark hickory thread.) Just the other day I went through two carhartt shirts-caught one on a broken branch as I was swinging into a tree, and ripped the sleeve on another one as I was rolling a log off my shoulder into the truck. I guess I've got to start working smarter!

By the way Buff, these really were accidents. I thought the company-supplied shirts were a good idea. I go through clothing this fast even when I pay for it.

Last edited:
beowulf343 said:
Must just be me then. Heck I've totally wasted two pairs of jeans within the first couple of hours on the job (shagbark hickory thread.) Just the other day I went through two carhartt shirts-caught one on a broken branch as I was swinging into a tree, and ripped the sleeve on another one as I was rolling a log off my shoulder into the truck. I guess I've got to start working smarter!

or maybe you might want to look into a safer job

Maybe if you took are of your clothes as the same way you took care of your gear it would last longer. In 1 and half years i have had 7 shirts and only 2 of them have gotten ruined. Gone throught 4 pairs of pants but that is what you get for buying $10 pants at Walmart. Got arborwear now and they are a few months old and still look brand new.

Let me ask once more. If you do not own the basic clothing, boots and hand gear necessary to feed your family, what else more important do you own in its place?

Easiest way for an employee to get free fresh shirts is to wear the competitor's shirt to work.

Buff, there is no one making minimum wage who can afford web access, let alone a computer, so who the hell are you talking to?

I have dozens and dozens of shirts, but if you want me to be your billboard they ought to cost me nothing but the effort to sling them over my head and shoulders. If they get worn out to the point that I'm not representing you in a decent way, replace them.

I would not waste any time and effort on a uniform policy until I had a PPE policy in effect.

RedlineIt

RedlineIt said:
Easiest way for an employee to get free fresh shirts is to wear the competitor's shirt to work.

RedlineIt
Awesome idea, I like my old black AC/DC shirt, the Highway to Hell one, devils horns, menacing looks from the band. There is nothing wrong with wearing basically clean but well used clothes to work, people want production and results, thats most important. Concentrate on your equipment, saws, trucks, stuff like that, your guys can probably dress themselves, at least I hope so.

Strong tea makes some old ladies nervous.

It's the ones who still sniff cocaine you need to watch out for.

Just a different perspective, fellas.

RedlineIt

Back