Unscientific 361vs.441vs.660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peacock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Today I was helping a buddy who sells firewood. We were cutting nothing but oak(white, red and chestnut) and hickory. We ran each saw with a 20" bar and sharp RSC chains. In 18-19" hickory the 441 and 660 were almost dead even. The 361 was a good 4-5 seconds slower. The 441 beat the 660 in chainspeed, but you could really lean on the 660.:chainsaw: I was surprised how much slower the 361 was. I figured the 441 would run with the 660 until bigger bars were involved.

That is all.:rock:

The big thing here is the weight you all were swinging around while slicing and dicing the tree up.

5-6 seconds slower , but pounds lighter -- is a fair trade off.
Plus chain - put a sharp full chisel on the 361 and then get back to me.

Bigger isn't always better.

Last edited:
The big thing here is the weight you all were swinging around while slicing and dicing the tree up.

Plus chain - put a sharp full chisel on the 360 and then get back to me.

Chain wasn't going to make up that big of a gap. They were pretty sharp.

Also, even though I've used a 361 quite a bit, I GREATLY prefer the 441 or 660 for almost any type of cutting.

Today I was helping a buddy who sells firewood. We were cutting nothing but oak(white, red and chestnut) and hickory. We ran each saw with a 20" bar and sharp RSC chains. In 18-19" hickory the 441 and 660 were almost dead even. The 361 was a good 4-5 seconds slower. The 441 beat the 660 in chainspeed, but you could really lean on the 660.:chainsaw: I was surprised how much slower the 361 was. I figured the 441 would run with the 660 until bigger bars were involved.

Thanks for the report Peacock. I have been starting to dream of a 660. Sounds like my 441 is plenty ample for what I do.

Plus chain - put a sharp full chisel on the 361 and then get back to me.

Bigger isn't always better.

???? If one was to put a sharp full chisel on the 441 and 660, wouldn't the spread be very similar to having sharp RSC chains on everthing?

Chain wasn't going to make up that big of a gap. They were pretty sharp.

Also, even though I've used a 361 quite a bit, I GREATLY prefer the 441 or 660 for almost any type of cutting.

Great Then that is the saw for you

get back to me in ten years and let me know if you still like swinging all that weight around so you can brag on how big your saw is ?

get back to me in ten years and let me know if you still like swinging all that weight around so you can brag on how big your saw is ?

I'm not bragging one bit. It fits my needs and it's a plus that I like it right?

To be honest with you, my back has gotten stronger since I started running saws a lot more. I work on cars for a living and my back doesn't give me a bit of trouble anymore.

Thanks for the report Peacock. I have been starting to dream of a 660. Sounds like my 441 is plenty ample for what I do.

Yeah, unless you need to run a 32 or longer bar often, I'd just stick with the 441. I was actually a bit disappointed in the 660 at first. It pulls the 28 a bit better and handles the 36 well, but not as well as I had previously thought it would.

I guess an 8 pin sprocket would wake it up a bit. The 441 just screams through the wood.

Last edited:

Shorter time with the saw because it cuts faster, or holding the saw longer because it cuts slower. Are there really any shortcuts up the mountain? Sounds like pure preference to me.

Up the sprocket size on the 660, and things will change.

Mark

Interesting report. Mark is right that if you increased the sprocket pins on the 66 it would start to spread itself from the 441. With your current setup the gap will probably tighten (between the 361 and the 441/660) if you were cutting smaller 12-14" hickory. Once you go up in wood size the combination of having chainspeed and displacement to pull it, play a big part in cut speed.

Here's a pic of some a BIG white oak at my friend's house. This is from Brown County Indiana.
attachment.php

440/660

I use to think the same thing ang I found out a while ago that the 066/660 is made for big wood and can pull a 36" bar no problem. The 044/440/441 what ever your running. Personal I like a 20" bar or 24" bar on them I run 2-440 mag with 20" and 2-044 with 24" bars and love the way they go through any kind of wood like warm butter. This is just what I like.:laugh:

In 18-19" hickory or oak the 361 just doesn't have the jam to keep up with a good 70cc saw.

Now that I'm thinking about oak and hickory, it brings up a question that I have. What do you think is easer to cut, oak or hickory? I personally find it harder to cut hickory.

Latest posts

Back