Unusual ( stupid) stuff that youv've burned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is that time of the year!

The shop stove qualifies as a crematory oven.
Over the years we have burned all sorts of stuff that don't belong in there. Old coat, blown out tennis shoes, plastic of all sorts including but not limited to soda bottles, plastic bags, packaging, packing peanuts, etc. Probably some other stuff that I can't remember at the moment.

Just wood, urban scrounging. Old veggie crates from behind stores, other assorted crates and dunnage, broken up furniture, pallets, construction scrap, rolled up newspapers and cardboard. Had a fireplace for heat, winter, no wood, set off scrounging down alleys and behind stores..surprisingly effective and real easy to get enough to heat with. Just every day when I went out, I came back with something. My entire firewood tools consisted of my hands and boots, I either broke the stuff with my hands or leaned it up against something and stomped it. Carried it all home either tied to my pack frame or in my arms. Usually both.

I guess I should have pulled a homeless guy deal and liberated a shopping cart for a truck, but didnt.

I have heard of people burning animal carcasses in their outdoor wood burners I have one and I am afraid of doin that although I usually bag a couple deer and rabbits in a season.

While not a habit we have, we have burned deer hides before to kill the (thousands) of ticks attached to it...the key is to have a hot fire going.

Speaking of keys, somehow my mother's house keys ended up in their old wood furnace 25 years back...they don't fair well.

My father burnt (but I don't recommend) bad/old ammunition. He ended up with probably 150 rounds of bad reloads, misfires, etc. from a relative that had passed...most of it wasn't salvageable. Our "barrel" stove in the garage is a 48" long, 24" diameter piece of 3/8" walled casing with 1/4 inch plate steel ends and 3/8" plate steel door (completely home built)...so there was no fear of one getting away. Most of them still had the bullet in place, and the casing simply burst. It sort of sounds like popcorn, and it does a real nice job of cleaning the ashes.

My father burnt (but I don't recommend) bad/old ammunition. He ended up with probably 150 rounds of bad reloads, misfires, etc. from a relative that had passed...most of it wasn't salvageable. Our "barrel" stove in the garage is a 48" long, 24" diameter piece of 3/8" walled casing with 1/4 inch plate steel ends and 3/8" plate steel door (completely home built)...so there was no fear of one getting away. Most of them still had the bullet in place, and the casing simply burst. It sort of sounds like popcorn, and it does a real nice job of cleaning the ashes.

:jawdrop:

:jawdrop:

You can imagine my puzzled look as my father flings a grocery bag into the stove, slams the door, and says "don't open the door for a while"...pop, pop pop, pop pop ting!, pop...I was about 13 at the time. We still have that stove...:laugh:

My perspective would have been different!

You can imagine my puzzled look as my father flings a grocery bag into the stove, slams the door, and says "don't open the door for a while"...pop, pop pop, pop pop ting!, pop...I was about 13 at the time. We still have that stove...:laugh:

I would have considered burning that to be quite a waste! I would have tried to wheedle the whole lot and taken them apart. The powder makes a dandy little poof, and the lead would be melted down and cast into something else. The primers... little harder to play with....

my old torn and worn out shirts and jeans is about my worst things.

A honey have you seen the Christmas cards?

What cards?

The ones that were on the floor by the wrapping paper.

I took them and the old wrapping paper out and burned it already, why?

YOU WHAT!!!!!

Did I get close to the actual conversation?

Alot more words were said and if I wrote the words here I would be in banned camp

I live in Ireland, along with wood and coal, we dig up the soil (peat), air dry it for a couple of months, and burn it.. Most beautiful smell of smoke..
I was in a neighbours place the other night, he's a school caretaker, he has an outdoor burner, I asked what he was burning and he showed me the pile of schoolbooks, thousands of them... He took me into the house and the radiators were roasting, from the books alone..
I had a collection of african ebony elephants last year, when I was moving house a couple of them fell and the tusks broke so I chucked them into the wood burner on top of some dry oak.. Well they burned till the next day, and when I opened the stove the next morning the shape of them were still there, that was quality burning.. Incredible heat too.. If only ebony was more readily available..
I was in a friends house last year, he put his dogs turds onto a lit fire to get rid of them.. Wouldn't fancy the smell, but it certainly took care of the turds :laugh:

Potato Chip Containers

I've found that Potato Chip Containers (Pringles and Stax) can be packed with sawdust or shredded paper. Then they make a great fire starter when surrounded by a section or two of newspaper. These little cylinders have cut my kindling requirements in half. :msp_smile:

A sad story about odd things being burnt...

Firefighters reported to a house explosion a couple townships over from where I grew up. The 80+ year old resident was killed in the explosion. As near as they can tell, it was a cold night and and the resident was looking for kindling to start a fire in a wood stove; and found her deceased husband's stash of dynamite. This was probably 30 years ago...I was pretty young at the time. It completely leveled the house.

My grandfather has told me stories of going to the local corner store and buying a few groceries, and couple sticks of dynamite to move a boulder in a field. Its still out there obviously...

Today in my shop stove I burned the spray foam cut offs from 2 doors I installed. Won't do that again. Man that was nasty smelling stuff. I've been burning all the softwood studs and floor plywood in it, might as well get some heat from it. Have 1/2 pail of nails and staples so far from the ashes. I've got a bunch of pieces of tentest too and am awful tempted to throw it in too, sawdust and tar? Oh yeah, I used my magnet to sift out the nails, the ashes had been sitting for 3 days in a 10 gal galvanized pail, melted the plastic coating on my gloves on the hot nails.

Burnt old field corn. Couple years ago, threw a deer hide from my buddies deer in my owb. Sitting in my stand 1/2 mile away, I could smell the burning hair.:bad_smelly:

The first year I had my stove it was installed in January. I had no more money for heating oil and a guy I new said he had a stove for sale. Put the stove in but had no wood. But, I did have a barn with about 50 years worth of collected lumber in the rafters from the previous owner. I heated the house with that stuff for the rest of the winter. I don't know how many square feet of oak flooring I burned but it was a ton. A neighbor stopped by while I was cutting slabs of oak floor and said "what are you crazy, don't you know how much that stuff is worth!". I said yeah but have you seen the price heating oil. When your house is cold fancy wood flooring and lumber don't mean ****.

Back