Upcoming Exercise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of next weekends exercise. These are from a site I pass to and from work, and finally stopped by last week and got the "Take what you want, but don't make a mess" reply. I went on Saturday morning and picked up (2) 22 inch diameter maples (the large ones in the background), (3) 12-18 inch diameter walnuts, (1) 12 inch diamter cherry, and (1) 20 inch diameter ash? or box elder?. I'm not great at figuring out the tree by the bark. Unfortunately all of the tree tops have been chipped and all that's left are 2 big piles of logs. Most are rotten, but I have been searching for any maple that may be spalted or have good grain. I am going to grab another couple of walnut logs and another maple this afternoon/tomorrow evening. There is also a lot of 12-18 inch diameter osage orange in the piles as well, which I may grab to make new cant hook handles.
On a side note to go along with my excitement of fresh logs, was that I stopped at a garage sale on the way home and got an 8 foot logging chain and a cant hook minus the handle for $1. What a good day all around.

I am very excited about getting the walnut milled first. I have been successful in upsetting at least 2 neighbors in the process, but the others are quite impressed with the process. I am spending so much time looking for and acquiring good logs that I'm unable to get anything built from the wood. I may have a local bandmiller cut up the two maples. There may be enough in the two logs to redo the kitchen cabinets.

Good deal... nice little score there, will keep you busy for a while. Do you have a place to sticker and dry this stash of boards you'll be making? Your looking at quite a pile there sliced and stickered.

I have more or less run out of room at the house, but once it is cut, I will run it to the parents property in Michigan to air dry until I'm ready to use it. Also, I get a better deal at the kiln near the property than I do at home in Illinois. Either way, I have my work cut out for me in the next few weeks. I think the biggest decision is to figure out the thickness I should mill. I may just stick with 4/4 on the larger diameter logs and use the smaller logs for the thicker leg stock since width is usually not a necessity.

Here are a couple of pics of the first walnut log to be milled. I will hopefully get a chance to start the cherry tonight. I am alos getting a little backlogged with having to sharpen the chains. I have increased to having four chains on hand, but I now have three dull ones.

Nice Walnut..I am so Jealous as we have no walnut on the Island.

Here are your pics sized smaller...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are some pics of the cherry I milled last night after work. My neighbors love me! I wasn't able to get as many out of the log as I wanted, but I got five 4/4 boards with a few having the figure seen in the close up picture.

Back