ups saw shipping problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havvey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I shipped a saw, ups said its comming back as damaged/partial loss, they might not be liable for it. Have any of you dealt with this before i am hoping just the box is damaged or the bar and chain is missing it was insured. By the way the postal service lost one o me too:mad: :help:

havvey said:
I shipped a saw, ups said its comming back as damaged/partial loss, they might not be liable for it. Have any of you dealt with this before i am hoping just the box is damaged or the bar and chain is missing it was insured. By the way the postal service lost one o me too:mad: :help:
I forgot to add it supposed to be here monday and i have to acess the damage.:angry2:

Unless they are going to say, that it wasn't in a "rigid" enough box for the weight or $ amount insured. I let UPS do all my packaging because I got burned by them saying (and the USPS will too) that if you just use any old box, it isn't covered. Apparently boxes are rated and you must use the proper rated box. Or, if they say oil/gas leaked out and damaged the box causing the damage. Otherwise, haven't heard that one before.

Tom

As thompson said proper rated box, packed their way which is a box for the saw put inside another box with at least 3" of foam all around it. If its not their way they won't pay. I have been making all my shipping boxes from 3/4" pine wood, it weighs a little more and cost a few extra bucks but its safe when it gets there and thats what i need...Bob

UPS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOOOH OOOOOH Crist dont get me started:censored: :censored: :censored: :taped: :bang: :angry: :blob2: :help:

Even with a brand new, properly rated, expertly packaged box you will NEVER be granted a claim. That is if you packaged it yourself. Not by USPS, UPS, or FedEx. I've tried with all 3.

Just be glad you're actually getting the saw back and hope it isn't destroyed.

The great thing about UPS and FedEx is the tracking system so I never really loose packages into thin air :) Like with the mail.

I started using DHL. No problems yet and they are about 2/3's the price of ups and half the cost of usps.

Standard response from UPS for damage is "insufficient packaging". Their theory is that if was sufficiently packaged, it wouldn't have broken. Unless you can see UPS tire tracks over the box, no payout...

UPS will ONLY deal with the shipper, not the recipient. Don't listen to guys that say "I insured it", it''s your problem. The payment goes back to the shipper; it's your problem to collect from the shipper.

I got screwed on the very first saw I ever bought on Ebay. Casing broken in transit, UPS wanted it shipped back to the point of origin for examination and then they refused the claim. The seller wouldn't pay me, ebay wouldn't listen, he wouldn't ship the saw back to me, it went on beyond 90 days so paypal didn't pay, so I ate it and had NO broken saw either.

If you get in a pissing contest with a seller over a package damage, lodge a claim early and force resolution one way or the other before the 90 day window closes.

Tree Sling'r said:
Ship saws all the time and have never had an issue. I just drop off the saw and have UPS package it.

At the Redmond WA UPS depot, they won' t ship a saw that has had gas in it... ever... have had to make a up a few white lies... however, at the local UPS Stores, they don't seen to care and don't ask...

I've shipped a lot of saws by many carriers, and never had one broken. I do pack them well though. Double boxing is the safest bet.

I had one get damaged by fedex, they were ok to deal with, but i had to return the saw to the seller.

I will only use UPS for shipping items that need to be traced. If its heavy I fit another box in side or just reinforce the bottom. Then I will make sure the box fits the item tight, no slideing or moving around in it. In the last 2 mo I have sent out 2 saws and 4 boxes of tractor parts. All six reached there new home just like they left here. The tractor parts all went to Calgary Alberta. Betweeb the 4 they weighted about 225. Oh on a after thought I also use lots of tape. The clear stuff with the string in it for reinforcement. I also veleive in almost comepletely wraping them in tape. I had UPS miss place 1 saw. They dropped it off at the wrong address. It was the church the guy went to any how. Must have been some to go to church on sunday and pick up your saw.
I WILL NOT USE DHL. Their drivers around here do not have a clue. Packages from them are always roughed up too.
Bob

Ups

I can't think of a company I dislike more than UPS. We shipped over 13,000 ebay items with all the shippers and the good old USPS was by far the most reliable and responsive to claims. UPS---forget it. They paid most of the claims but their damage record was terrible and when they switched to an independent insurer for claims there was just to much aggrivation. They were our shipper of last resort. In summer and around holidays when they used temporary dock help the damage was much, much worse.
Phil

shipping

thanks to all that repied. in the past i had good luck with ups, fed ex is a joke in my area. postal is 50/50. And dhl seems to try but are to new to properly rate them. The crux here gentleman is if i ship a saw/object thats say $500 and ups etc screws up then wont go good for it where does it leave me and the customer? With ebay and paypal's terms . I cant stand that kind of loss and don't really feel i should refund the money as it is a shipping error. Wonder if the attorney general or better buisness bureau would be of any help (i have used both in the past to resolve issues.) Also in the last 1-2 years i have never had so many packages damage/lost both comming and going in my life irregardless of the shipping company.:popcorn: :( :buttkick:

havvey said:
thanks to all that repied. in the past i had good luck with ups, fed ex is a joke in my area. postal is 50/50. And dhl seems to try but are to new to properly rate them. The crux here gentleman is if i ship a saw/object thats say $500 and ups etc screws up then wont go good for it where does it leave me and the customer? With ebay and paypal's terms . I cant stand that kind of loss and don't really feel i should refund the money as it is a shipping error. Wonder if the attorney general or better buisness bureau would be of any help (i have used both in the past to resolve issues.) Also in the last 1-2 years i have never had so many packages damage/lost both comming and going in my life irregardless of the shipping company.:popcorn: :( :buttkick:

If UPS screws up, (lost, physical damage to the outside etc) they'll make it right, but you may have to persist. The bottom line is you have to go overboard with packing it, or, let them pack it.

Just a thought ........... As we know when you use your credit card to buy / pay and the service is not as it should be you can reverse the payment and have the card company take care of the issue . Would this not work with UPS / Fed-Ex ect. if a item was damaged and you had insurance covering it and UPS / other didnt take care of it as they should when they damaged the item and the package shipping was paid with a credit card .............? Hummm .

havvey said:
The crux here gentleman is if i ship a saw/object thats say $500 and ups etc screws up then wont go good for it where does it leave me and the customer? With ebay and paypal's terms . I cant stand that kind of loss and don't really feel i should refund the money as it is a shipping error.

??? Are you saying that you should not refund a customer's money because it's a shipping error? So someone buys a saw from you, you pack it, it dies in transit and you think your customer should eat it?

Did I hear that right? Or did I misunderstand?

BlueRidgeMark said:
??? Are you saying that you should not refund a customer's money because it's a shipping error? So someone buys a saw from you, you pack it, it dies in transit and you think your customer should eat it?

Did I hear that right? Or did I misunderstand?
well it looks like i would be eating it, and ups walks away. Looks like the new liberals to me not my fault someone elses. (oh i need a disclaimer not responsible after i put it in shipping and have a tracking number). I just don't know what to do as ups is so big there word would be law, you and i try that we go to jail for theft or deception sorry mark:help:

credit card

Rspike said:
Just a thought ........... As we know when you use your credit card to buy / pay and the service is not as it should be you can reverse the payment and have the card company take care of the issue . Would this not work with UPS / Fed-Ex ect. if a item was damaged and you had insurance covering it and UPS / other didnt take care of it as they should when they damaged the item and the package shipping was paid with a credit card .............? Hummm .
spike you are definatly wise i never thought of that!! But i have never used that side of credit card service so i don't know what would happen its like putting stop pay on a check. I am sure there is some disclaimer that doesn't allow it. But i do know people who use a card for buying because of that protection agreement.:cheers: :dizzy: :help:

havvey said:
well it looks like i would be eating it, and ups walks away.

OK, that sounds better. Not for your pocketbook, of course, but for your integrity.

havvey said:
Looks like the new liberals to me not my fault someone elses. (oh i need a disclaimer not responsible after i put it in shipping and have a tracking number). I just don't know what to do as ups is so big there word would be law, you and i try that we go to jail for theft or deception sorry mark

You got that right!

Latest posts

Back