ups saw shipping problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I have either part of a saw or a whole saw broken in shipping I replace the part or the saw at my cost or refund the customer 100%.

No matter how rough the shipper was with the saw I think as the one who packaged the saw I share equal responsibilty. There is no reason to make the customer wait or bear the burden of the cost.

Fedex/UPS/USPS usually don't step up and make it right so...

The 034 i got from Alaska to Florida was put in a zerox paper box and 4 or 5 small wads of newspaper. The thing would flop around when the box was tilted....i couldn't believe it wasn't trashed. It got here ok, but i guess i owe USPS a thank-you:cheers: luckeeee!

BlueRidgeMark said:
??? Are you saying that you should not refund a customer's money because it's a shipping error? So someone buys a saw from you, you pack it, it dies in transit and you think your customer should eat it?

Did I hear that right? Or did I misunderstand?
I have sold over the net for 5 years now and thats just the way it is . Once i have packed the item and it is shipped we are no longer responsible . I state this when selling and offer insurance . Standard insurance covers up to $100. and more is offered if the buyer wants it . We take full responsibility to do our part to file a claim if needed but we are not an insurance company and can not cover shipping damage . This is what SHIPPING INSURANCE is for . Now on the other end of the story when i pack an item it is a NEW heavy duty box sized to fit the item , full packing peanuts and the item is wrapped in shipping cloth ( inside the box ) Heavy duty packing tape inside and out . The standard for shipping with USP is the item should be able to stand a drop from 4' . Now from what i have seen 80% of shipping damage is poor packing , over sized boxes , no packing filler / lack of filler and or newspaper being used , bad tape or lack of it , used boxes, boxes that are not designed for the item being shipped ect ... We have shipped for 5 years and normally ship items from 28 lbs - 37 lbs and have never had a shipping damaged item that the item being shipped was damaged , many boxes have looked like hell when delivered but nothing ever damaged because the box was packed correct in the first place .

Last edited:
Another point of insurance ...... You have full coverage on your car/truck and somebody t-bones you and they do not have insurance . Your insurance covers the issues with your car/truck and takes care of the problem . Now if your car/truck was t-boned by an uninsured driver should your insurance company tell you "sorry" we wont cover you , you have to "eat it" . Now your setting there with your 10k $$ car / truck that is now totaled . Should you be responsible or is that what insurance is for ?

If it is all taking place within their region I have good luck with SpeeDee and from St. Paul to me they are a full day ahead of UPS. UPS is slooow...it takes them 2 days to get me parts from a wharehouse 20 miles away and they have a fairly important shipping hub 25 miles away from me in the same direction. The DHL boys are animals that should take anger management classes, trashed 2 trimmers on me from the distributor.
Last major item I had come in was a 95 lb. flywheel for a 786 IH diesel. It did OK :rock: Drop that badboy on somebodies saw, it's over.

insurance

Rspike said:
Another point of insurance ...... You have full coverage on your car/truck and somebody t-bones you and they do not have insurance . Your insurance covers the issues with your car/truck and takes care of the problem . Now if your car/truck was t-boned by an uninsured driver should your insurance company tell you "sorry" we wont cover you , you have to "eat it" . Now your setting there with your 10k $$ car / truck that is now totaled . Should you be responsible or is that what insurance is for ?
spike i tend to agree with you on insurance in general, its useless, they collect a premium and wiggle out of a claim. Major problem accross country. I think with a lot of this stuff the government state/federal needs to oversee it nd i know thats not popular or maybe its like the fox watching the chicken coup!!:dizzy: :bowdown:

shipping

Rspike said:
I have sold over the net for 5 years now and thats just the way it is . Once i have packed the item and it is shipped we are no longer responsible . I state this when selling and offer insurance . Standard insurance covers up to $100. and more is offered if the buyer wants it . We take full responsibility to do our part to file a claim if needed but we are not an insurance company and can not cover shipping damage . This is what SHIPPING INSURANCE is for . Now on the other end of the story when i pack an item it is a NEW heavy duty box sized to fit the item , full packing peanuts and the item is wrapped in shipping cloth ( inside the box ) Heavy duty packing tape inside and out . The standard for shipping with USP is the item should be able to stand a drop from 4' . Now from what i have seen 80% of shipping damage is poor packing , over sized boxes , no packing filler / lack of filler and or newspaper being used , bad tape or lack of it , used boxes, boxes that are not designed for the item being shipped ect ... We have shipped for 5 years and normally ship items from 28 lbs - 37 lbs and have never had a shipping damaged item that the item being shipped was damaged , many boxes have looked like hell when delivered but nothing ever damaged because the box was packed correct in the first place .
spike i feel the same that you should not be liable for the shippers screw up.
maybe they need a standard and not accept those poor packages or have the agent inspect them before sealing:bowdown: :cheers:

credit card

Rspike said:
Just a thought ........... As we know when you use your credit card to buy / pay and the service is not as it should be you can reverse the payment and have the card company take care of the issue . Would this not work with UPS / Fed-Ex ect. if a item was damaged and you had insurance covering it and UPS / other didnt take care of it as they should when they damaged the item and the package shipping was paid with a credit card .............? Hummm .
here is why this won't work, around here you do not deal with ups directly but a shipping agent contractor whatever (not a ups store) so the reverse charge would be against that business kind of like me bringing in an item and having you ship it for me. Also the wife has dealt with the reverse at work and its quite a procedure there is an investigation and it does not always stand as reversed. (bet it gets the merchants attention.):rock: :buttkick: :jawdrop:

Back