upside down tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenno

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a customer who has an upside down tree in need of pruning. Is there a special way to prune them? How can I find the advice and information I need?

Thanks,
Glenno

Thanks, Dixie! I've been wondering about this post for a few weeks but didn't want to be an idiot and ask what heck kind of tree this refered to!

If you stare at the tree, it looks like the branches are growing the wrong way. the leaves are dark and a little purple colored. I'll try and get a picture.
Weeping sounds about right, I'm just guessing.

Thanks,
Glenno

I just needed to prune a few limbs up top because they were not taking the right shape or growing the right way. It has that weeping look to it.

thanks

hi again,
i finally got a picture of the tree, the owner thinks the word purple is in the name of it. as soon as i figure out how to, i will send it along.
thanks

Kind of crappy picture, but it looks like a Weeping European Beech. Get a couple differetn angles, and a picture of the base where it meets the ground, AND a picture of the leaves/stems

Sorry, fogot to answer the pruning.

You can prune it the way you like, but be careful. As soon as there will be direct summer sunlight on the bark of the stem it wil burn because the barc is very thin.

The way i see it, don't take to much of it looks like a healty young tree. The normal green and purple beeches are used for hedges. So pruning is no problem, as long as the stem stays in the shade.

Here in Holland they become, together with oaks the biggest trees.:rockn:

Good luck!

i see the limb in question. you could remove that top one to the left if you wish, but i bet with time as the limb gets heavier with foliage it will train itself to weep more? lovely tree. I wish we could grow those here.

Back