Upstate NY GTG 2017 - Sunday April 23rd - Greenwich, NY (Albany)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a place near me that had been in operation long before I moved up in the late 70s, made great home made ice cream, but alas, it closed for good last year. And the place next door that sold home made pies and farm produce, closed the year before. It is the end of an era of places that made and/or grew what they sell.

The end of that era started a long time ago around here, in part when NYC created the watershed, and put numerous dairy farms under, which resulted in Borden relocating their condensed milk processing away from Brewster, then urban sprawl did the rest.

Most of the remaining farms are owned by horse people with very deep pockets.

So what is the itinerary for the day? What have you guys done in the past. Just curious as I have never been before. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish it was a little closer to the Finger Lakes region... I'd be there in a flash. Any out this way?

There was a place near me that had been in operation long before I moved up in the late 70s, made great home made ice cream, but alas, it closed for good last year. And the place next door that sold home made pies and farm produce, closed the year before. It is the end of an era of places that made and/or grew what they sell.

The end of that era started a long time ago around here, in part when NYC created the watershed, and put numerous dairy farms under, which resulted in Borden relocating their condensed milk processing away from Brewster, then urban sprawl did the rest.

Most of the remaining farms are owned by horse people with very deep pockets.

We lived in the large house on Farm To Market Road across from the school. It's surrounded by subdivisions in the old farm fields now. We owned 475 acres there in the 60's.

Wow! I grew up in town of Cortlandt (Westchester), and my Father had a friend on Karlsen Lake Rd. It was very rural back in the 60s.

I'm on South Drive between N Brewster & Brewster Hill, I hear it used to be all Apple Orchards.

Not sure how old you are, but you likely know some of my friends/neighbors who grew up in the area, like the Palmers.

The ice cream shop I was referring to was Heinchon's on Rte 22, had been open since 1923.

Wow! I grew up in town of Cortlandt (Westchester), and my Father had a friend on Karlsen Lake Rd. It was very rural back in the 60s.

I'm on South Drive between N Brewster & Brewster Hill, I hear it used to be all Apple Orchards.

Not sure how old you are, but you likely know some of my friends/neighbors who grew up in the area, like the Palmers.

The ice cream shop I was referring to was Heinchon's on Rte 22, had been open since 1923.

I'm 54. I was three when we moved there, and 6 when we moved upstate. I remember riding my bike to Green Chimney's pre-school when I was 3, the Texaco station where I got my fire hat and truck, and yes - Heinchon's ice cream! I'll ask my parents if they remember the Palmers.

I think there were 6 Palmer boys, operate Palmer Hardware (on Rte 22 just South of 312), Palmer Plumbing, etc. One even works at the chainsaw shop.

The Dad's house is currently across from the Middle School, next to the Deli.

Their family farm was off Peaceable Hill Rd.

That is a beautiful house you were in. I ride by it on my bike often, and next to it is Town land going back to Ice Pond, which is also now publicly owned.

I stopped by there about 15 years ago, and it's now a three-family house.

My father is a licensed master plumber, so I bet he knows the Palmers. He always wanted me to go into the plumbing supply business!

Likely he does. I think the Hardware store used to specialize in plumbing supplies before the one brother broke out into the Plumbing business. When I built this house in the mid 80s, I purchased almost all my plumbing supplies from them. Rec'd good advice with the purchase.

A quick note for guys on this site who might not see this elsewhere,..
If I am supposed to be bringing anything (parts, chain, signs, etc.)for you PLEASE REMIND ME BY PM HERE, my brain is like a steel trap (with lots of big holes in it).
the guys on this list I have ready
Lee - sign
Bob - piston
166 - kms4 i was supposed to ship like two months ago
Dan - silvey and mastermind 2016 shirts
Chad - sign
Jeremy - bar
Bret - race sprockets (and a bag of 084 whoop ass)
Nate - dear god what am I NOT gonna bring for you bro :)

not sure what saws to bring either beyond the 084, i will try to get the new tank on the 394, any requests?

Trade Bait: dolmar black and white 112 needs a piston, new USG Stihl grinder with hedge shear attachment, older USG with brand new motor and cap in box, 4'x5' metal stihl sign nice, 5'x6' lighted Stihl sign panels (2 different ones including mega rare 044 panel), beautiful, all original great running 044 10mm slant fin, metal lawn boy and snapper signs (about 2'x5'), ms200t runners, runner 350, ugly runner 372xp, ported 066, 064, 044, 046, 241, 441, ported MS660 in a box with needed parts, minty gorgeous all original 031 with original print on windsor speed tip bar and original metal hinge Stihl case, Poulan pro NOS hard nose bars for a gorgeous dsiplay, rolls of oddball chain, .058 and 1/4" and other wacky *s-word, so much stuff i dont really need :)

I don't have much time before i leave but if someone has a Solo Twin (i need some parts), BP-1 or pioneer twin or super twin I am open to all kinds of negotiation.

This looks like a great GTG again this year, first timer, just head on out and be amazed at everything to see and do.

Are you wondering if some new chainsaw of almost any brand and size is right for you? Good chance there will be at least one there.
Like to oogle vintage and historical chainsaws? Dozens or more will be on hand.
Curious about ported chainsaws and what all the fuss is about? Yep, more than you can shake a stick at.
Wish you could see a bunch of grown men act like 14 year old lumberjacks with great food and a stout dose of tomfoolery. You get the idea :)

There also might be a few guys there who know a little something about chainsaws they would be willing to share.
Dave

Latest posts

Back