Urban Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Email came in from a friend on Thursday, introducing me to a friend of his who had a line on what was allegedly a black walnut. This guy had heard about it from a woodworker friend of his who had done a project for a guy who knew this lady who knew someone rebuilding a house where the walnut was located. Wow! Six degrees of separation between me and this walnut?

Walnut is not very common here, although it does grow readily, but a lot of what was planted here over the years was white walnut, or butternut I think some of it is also called. Much less interesting wood. The only thing we had to go on was a photo of the tree on facebook.

23471957071_feb71bceb7_k.jpg

The leaves on the ground looked like the shape of walnut leaves, but more importantly, we could also see on the ground the 'leaf stems' (I don't what their real name is) that the leaflets attach to which is pretty dead giveaway of walnut. 'Pinnately compound leaves' is what I have read.

It turns out that due to a communications error my contact had sat on the offer for a week, and the log was now open to any and all on a first come basis. This all got figured out on Friday, so we decided to be safe we would meet at 9 AM on Saturday to mill it up.

Saturday morning arrived absolutely driving rain, windy and generally miserable. We met at the house in New Westminster, a nearby suburb of Vancouver. It was a 1940's bungalow which had been neglected for many years and now with the huge influx of foreign money into the Vancouver housing market was now probably worth a million and was to be torn down and replaced with what our American neighbours disparagingly but appropriately call a McMansion.

23554417775_e0f3ed80d7_o.jpg

There were at least four large trees on the property cut down, including quite a large Doug fir in the backyard along with, what we were able to determine quickly when we got there and saw it, was indeed a black walnut.
22926411524_ec5369ccb9_o.jpg

So we geared up (I had three layers on my legs and five layers on top) and started in on it. The rain was so bad and the humidity so high that the lens on my phone's camera got cloudy and a lot of the pictures I took wound up hazy as a result. Here's my new buddy displaying bad ergonomics and cutting up a short but pretty nice piece.

23554430235_abeac601fa_o.jpg

We cut up a couple crotch pieces and a couple of clear but fairly short sections of some of the branch wood. There just weren't any nice long sections in this tree. I know the pith was off centred and there is likely a lot of reaction wood in there, but to paraphrase the Canadian band The Northern Pikes, "A guy like me doesn't get many walnuts". So we went at it.

23528334886_e765bab541_o.jpg

23445907762_ca84c0dbdc_o.jpg

So by the end of about 3 1/2 hours in the relentless rain we had 15 slabs, most 2.5" thick but a couple at 4". I took 3 and the buddy took the rest. I also lopped off a couple rounds for my bowl making buddy. Without a doubt the wettest and dirtiest time milling I have ever had, I gave up on my glasses they were like looking through an aquarium, I swear my gloves weighed several pounds each from the rainwater they absorbed and my hands were prunes.

We are going to go back on Monday for round two, to get the big crotch and hopefully a few more slabs. Can't let any walnut go to waste! Would be nice to catch a break in the weather though.

Looks very light for walnut, more like butternut but maybe that's normal for your area. Still, you got some nice pieces there. I've found butternut to be just a little softer than walnut - nice for carving. Any thoughts on getting the root? Usually see some nice grain there.

A little lighter than our walnut. Not near as much sapwood as I would have expected for a yard tree. Admire the dedication though.... I would have walked away from a day like that

I checked out the photos and the fact sheets for butternut and walnut at the Hobbithouse and I think you guys are probably correct. Also I expect that the slabs we cut will fade quite a bit as they dry, making them even lighter coloured.

While it is possible that black walnut grows with a lighter colouration in the wood here in our cooler and wetter climate, given the narrower sapwood that Ford correctly observed in his comment above, and that butternut is fairly common here, I'm now strongly leaning in that direction.

The original photo from facebook that I posted above shows a few leaves still on the tree, but it is hard to see how many leaflets are in a leaf as the ones that remain are only partially complete. I can see that there are at least 11 leaflets per leaf but there could be more so that doesn't really help.

On Monday I will take my tree identification book out there and see if I can use the leaves or even a nut still laying on the ground to help with the identification.

Dan

The Black Walnut here has a lot of greenish, yellowish highlights in it when freshly milled but they don't last long. It literally begins darkening within minutes.

Whatever it is (looks like Walnut to me) it was a nice score and I, too, admire your perseverence for gittin' r done on a pretty nasty weather day.

I have both tree's here in my yard... Butternut on the left, walnut on the right,

standard.jpg

SR

So went back to the site today to get some more of this. I took my tree id book with me and I am even more certain now that it is butternut, or perhaps some hybrid/varietal of butternut.

Unfortunately someone had been at it after we left on Saturday and took a couple of nice sections that we had our eyes on. However there was still plenty for us to work on. And the weather was a lot better, just regular rain, not the pelting down psuedo-tropical nightmare we had to work through the first day!

I was planning on taking my 60" bar but discovered that my only chain was damaged and so I was unable to bring it. Also the battery in the car was dead in the morning, I jumped it and then drove around to the back of the house and without thinking turned it off. So then I tried to roll it down the lane to bump start it but for some reason that did not work so I had to jump it again. Not a good way to start the morning, but it got better!

So the plan was to see what we could get from this crotch piece, it was the main crotch for the tree. Since it had been growing in a totally wide open area the trunk was literally only about 4 feet tall!
23487607152_bb00c3e8c8_o.jpg

It was actually a three branch crotch, so the first step was to rip it lengthwise to turn it into a two branch crotch. That went surprisingly well for a freehand effort, but I had not done a good job of aligning my cut to the piths, so all our slabs had a little oval of pith in them. Kind of sucks.
22967987144_c31d2b7ca4_o.jpg

We trimmed a few inches off the width, nailed on the guide board, and started milling.
22968007634_23397eef34_o.jpg

Things went well, we got two or three slabs per tank of gas on the 3120, the saw ran well, the chain stayed sharp, I only had to sharpen it twice the whole day, and there were no nails or rocks or other hidden badness. Rather unusual! Not sure why Flickr decided it would be a good idea to rotate this picture 180 degrees, but it doesn't really matter in this case.
23570145766_37eb4ce5d1_o.jpg

From the other piece of the crotch that I cut off we got a few slabs as well, they were not as nice as the ones from the other piece of crotch but still worthwhile.
23487635562_0d25105d11_o.jpg

We also milled several smaller straight pieces.
22968012934_306353c4c7_o.jpg

All in all we got 7 crotchy pieces and 8 smaller straight pieces. Took us just over 5 hours. With the wood we got on Saturday it was a nice haul for my friend and I.

Butternut is a carvers dream....walnut is maybe more universally 'liked' ....but butternut is something I am missing in my current horde...so please enjoy what you have found!

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

Back