Urgent Stihl Saw Choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth83

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Urgent Stihl Saw Choice - MS361C, MS362, MS381

I own both a Stihl MS290 (2005 year) and 039 (2000 year) which I have had for about a month each which I picked up cheap.

I'm thinking about selling them both and should double my money ideally.

I have the choice of the following saws:

Secondhand MS361C (2009 year) for £300 (roughly $480)
Brand New Stihl MS362 (2010) for £500 but with no warranty ($800)
Brand New Stihl MS381 but with no warranty at a local auction house. What should I pay for this if this would be the better saw?

All I do is cut firewood really and not much at that but want a tough reliable saw as been having problems with my 039 and the MS290 feels gutless compared to it.

Thoughts

Last edited:
Have you looked at the MS 261? Great for cutting firewood. You want more punch. Of those you listed. MS 362.

Imo opinion i would find a nice used 044/ms440, you won't regret it. If you are thinking about the 381 i would do some serious research into fake saws as that model is not sold in the UK and would have had to have been imported. It is highly possible it is a chinese copy and i would want to have a thorough look at it before bidding.

Get a 70cc saw. MS-441, MS-440, 372, 365, or 576. 70cc machines can do everything, and are light enough to cut firewood all day without killing you. I would probably pass on the 381 as a one saw plan. I really like that series, but they are gas-hogs compared to the newer designs. They have been discontinued in several parts of the world. If you plan on keeping the saw for a long time you will want a newer design so the parts are still easily gotten at your local dealer.

I'm thinking an 044 or MS440. Much difference between the two?

I guess an MS460 would be overkill as a firewood saw?

440 has the flippy-caps and the 044 doesn't. Other than that they are basically the same. A 460 is not over-kill IMO. It is a little larger and heavier than a 440 however.

Of the three I would take the 361 and MM it. Mine has went thru three commercial wood seasons, prolly the most used saw of the bunch. It absolutely rips with a 8 pin sprocket and 18" bar. It is no that far behind my stock 044. It prolly has cut in excess of 250 cord itself in the time we've had it without an issue. Hell, if the truth were known 90% of the firewood cut could be done with a 50cc saw.
These guys are all enthusiast, bigger is better.

I assume since you are in Cardiff and mentioned a 381 that you're in Wales and not some random Cardiff in the US? I understand the MS440 is still available there. That would be my first choice in a Stihl. If you do not cut wood often, and it isn't large, that used 361 sounds like a decent deal if you can haggle, is there wiggle room? An MS361 is a fairly light saw for occasional use. If you are not set on Stihl, the 365 and the 372 are still available in the UK. Both are great firewood saws.

I'm thinking an 044 or MS440. Much difference between the two?

I guess an MS460 would be overkill as a firewood saw?

I recently bought a 460 as my firewood saw:)
Not a huge diff between the 440-460 so wouldnt they both be considered overkill? haha :p jus playin

"An MS361 is a fairly light saw for occasional use". wyk

That is one of the funniest things I've read on AS. I would hate to know the hours our 361 has run, how much fuel it has burned, it's on it's third ES bar. It's as rugged as any saw I own, 044,460 and 660, it's been run more than all three of them combined more than likely.
It may be light for the needs in a logging operation in the PNW, but here in the midwest it comes close to being the perfect firewood saw for the commercial cutter.

I have a 261 that is great, and a 290 that I am looking to sell to purchase a 70 cc saw. I have looked at the 441 and the 372.The 372 can be had for a little less money than a 441,at least at my dealers around here. Bigger saws are nice for larger hardwood.

That's because you took it entirely out of context. The OP said he would use the saw occasionally, so I suggested it as a light saw for him for occasional firewood cutting. As you have seen here, some of the occasional users, and firewood hunters, think some _50cc_ saws are 'bulky'. Some might not want to spend an extra 3-500 USD(UK pricing plus 21% tax) on a saw for occasional use that is heavier. Do not confuse Stihl's marketing with what my statement was regarding. I did not, by any sense of the word, imply it was only durable for occasional use. I have owned an MS361. It is the second lightest saw I have ever owned.

Another thing to consider is the fact gasoline is about $10 a gallon in the UK, and oil/mix is considerably more expensive as well. So fuel consumption is a factor more so than here.

"An MS361 is a fairly light saw for occasional use". wyk

That is one of the funniest things I've read on AS. I would hate to know the hours our 361 has run, how much fuel it has burned, it's on it's third ES bar. It's as rugged as any saw I own, 044,460 and 660, it's been run more than all three of them combined more than likely.
It may be light for the needs in a logging operation in the PNW, but here in the midwest it comes close to being the perfect firewood saw for the commercial cutter.

Last edited:
361 - If your looking for a really well liked comfortable 60cc saw. They are easy on gas, lighter and more comfortable than your 039, and a great overall saw.

MS381 - If your looking for a very nostalgic old school saw. It is probably about the same weight as your 039, probably equally comfortable, but has more power. It is harder on gas than the 039, MS361, MS440, and probably on par with the MS460. It is slower reving, but has more torque than the 044/MS440. Think of the MS381 as being a v8 and an 044/MS440 as being a turbo v6.

044/MS440 - If your looking for a very good modern 70cc saw. It is lighter than your 039, has more power with about the same comfort level, but a bit harder on gas than your 039 and the MS361. It is the successor of the 038/MS380/MS381.

046/MS460 - If your looking for a couple of jumps in power from your 039. Very similar in look and construction to the 044/MS440, but has more power, equally comfortable, but is quite a bit harder on gas IMO.

Overall I think the MS361C (as long as its in good physical and mechanical shape) is probably your best value and would suit you the best imo, unless you want to jump up in the power. I would probably say an MS440 would be your best second choice if you can find one within your pricerange.

Back