US Stove 1537G Improvements. Newbie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just for everyones sake the veiw from that drawing is abviously from above and from the front , as the flue is visible in the rear.

just for everyones sake the veiw from that drawing is abviously from above and from the front , as the flue is visible in the rear.
sweet got 12 bricks about a month ago just havent let the fire go out to put them in.Will try it and let you know how it works! thanks j

well, over the past couple weeks ive tried some more expirements inside of my 1557 , including replacing the steel baffle with a complete firebrick baffle and baffle extention . for some reason that did not work at all as i had hoped it would , oh well . so what i am going to stay with , inside of the stove , is what i have described in a previous , sort of lengthy descriptive post , where i described the use of 10 fire bricks , my drawing showed 11 and i would add that either 7,9,or 11 firebricks can be used . i am currently using 9 . i am not currently using the 2 counterweight bricks . i guess it could be configured to only use 7 also , 3 down the center of the baffle , 4 used for the extention . what i usually did was , in the morning with only coals to deal with , is when i would do the firebrick placement or rearrangement , instead of waiting for the fire to go out . just make sure you have long sleves on and wear a pair of gloves to protect your skin from burns . so , has anyone else tried doing this with their stove yet ? and what were the results ? i would be interested in hearing about it .

baffle replace

I replaced mine with 2 pices of steel about 1/2 in thick. It has helped out some. I have been thinking about laying brick on top of them. I also put a manual damper in the pipe coming out of the back helped out alot. I have not played with the plug in the back. I just broke my 3rd shaker grate in 3 years last night. They are crap. How can I see if I have to much draft??? I have a b-34 automatic draft control but I have not put it in dont know if I need it???
I just got a portable infrared thermometer to use for a week or 2. So I am going to take some temps. Will keep you posted.

I am going to try a sliding baffle like they have on the inside of the 1600 models. My plan was to line the top with fire brick. Put a sliding steel plate on the top with a rod out the front. I was going to attach a thin chain to the baffle so when you push it all the way open it picks up the smoke flap too.

One note or ? I measured 18" from the back of the stove to the edge of the metal plate on the top and approx 18" wide.. The fire brick are 9" long and 4.5" wide. 1.25 thick. If I added right were you able to get away with buying 8 bricks to completely cover the top steel plate. I have to get them tonight.

the sliding baffle is one of the things ive tried . it will work , but , once youve extended it out beyond 4 inches it will begin to reduce the draft thru the stove , creating probs with draft control now . to get a good hot fire going you need to open your draft up , and once you do that and the fire is hot , now your draft will increase( because of a hotter fire ) and the fire will be even hotter than you want and it kind of feeds on itself . the hotter the fire , the more draft and the hotter the fire and so on . so to overcome that , once you get a hot fire going , you close down the draft , but now it will begin to choke the fire and it will cool down . so what i have found to work best for me is to just extend the baffle 3.5 to 4 inches , which can be done with the firebrick by overhanging the baffle with the brick lenghtwise, or a steel plate . with that 3.5 to 4 inch extention, you can reliably control the draft for a hot or a smoldering fire , and still get the desired secondary burn , longs you dont have a smoldering fire . this is what i have found to work in my stove . i also began my experiments based upon the 1600 firebox . the way its set up now, is where i get the best performance . i use the feed door draft , approx 1/4 way open , rear plug plugged , ashpan draft is set to how hot you want the fire , i usually have it set at 1 to 2 turns open for daytime fire .

Back