Use of Stihl Flippy Caps for Dummies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any advice for making those flippy caps easier to use especially the one on the chain oil supply. I know there is a little pointer to line up but I seem to have trouble finding it when I have not used the saw for awhile.

The main thing to remember is that the flippy cap swivels..!!

Not like a screw-in cap..(one part)..It's a two part cap that swivels in the middle.

Sometimes removing a cap can rotate the cap...resulting in 'strange' next closure.

One must always check after closure...to confirm the cap is sealed..!!

It's not complicated...just raise lever and try to pull out..!!

If it pulls out..you must swivel the cap's two halves..!! Re-insert and check again..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Any advice for making those flippy caps easier to use especially the one on the chain oil supply. I know there is a little pointer to line up but I seem to have trouble finding it when I have not used the saw for awhile.

You need to buy it dinner first..........

Maybe a movie......

I thought that's who the flippy caps were for........ :eek2:

Don't fill the tank too much and the cap will work much better. (unless you require over-adequate leg lubrication.)

Don't fill the tank too much and the cap will work much better. (unless you require over-adequate leg lubrication.)

Or a boot for that matter!

Yep....I thought all of this flippy cap trouble was .....well....that was until I lubed my boot with bar oil!

Yep....old topic.....but stihl current! :laugh:

I hate those things especially on the oil side where I find it harder to wipe perfectly clean to keep the dirt out before opening. I've had a 026 since the mid nineties and have never flushed the oil tank and it still oils properly simply because it is easy to wipe clean before opening. I now despise that damn flippy cRap on my 261!!

Or a boot for that matter!

Yep....I thought all of this flippy cap trouble was .....well....that was until I lubed my boot with bar oil!

Yep....old topic.....but stihl current! :laugh:

I was running all Stihl until the MS 211 kept oiling my boots and running fuel mix down my pants leg.

Even had my Stihl dealer to tell me that he could not get one to seal that a customer brought back the same day he sold it.

I moved about two miles on down the road to a Husqvarna dealer. Glad now that I did.

I still like the 026 though.:yoyo:

If my biggest issue with stihl was the operational technique to work flippy caps I wouldn't be able to get my shoes tied in the morning to operate a saw anyhow ;).

The main thing to remember is that the flippy cap swivels..!!

Not like a screw-in cap..(one part)..It's a two part cap that swivels in the middle.

Sometimes removing a cap can rotate the cap...resulting in 'strange' next closure.

One must always check after closure...to confirm the cap is sealed..!!

It's not complicated...just raise lever and try to pull out..!!

If it pulls out..you must swivel the cap's two halves..!! Re-insert and check again..!!
:cheers:
J2F
The oil cap flippy on my MS250 always gives me grief but the gas cap goes on like butter .

I don't get all the hate about these caps. I feel like I'm the only one who likes them... I run all Stihls because I sold my 346xp and 372xp due to hatred. Ranging from 200t, 170, 360, 361, 362, 041, 440, 441, 660, and 880. The 041 and 660 are the only ones with "your" glorious screw in caps and the 660 is the only saw I have that has dumped oil on my leg twice. I have new Stihls and old Stihls, NONE of the new style flip caps whether there used and beat up or new have ever pissed me off. I do a lot of carving, so I run through say maybe 10 tanks of gas in a short period of time. I grew a lot of appreciation for the flippy caps and their ease. This topic is almost as popular as Stihl vs. Husky or ford vs. chevy. Just my 2 cents..........

As for the guys talking about the best way to put em in...... I found that putting them in and twisting them counter clockwise until they drop a 1/4 inch or so then clockwise till they stop. Works every time.

As for the guys talking about the best way to put em in...... I found that putting them in and twisting them counter clockwise until they drop a 1/4 inch or so then clockwise till they stop. Works every time.

I like that idea. I've had several spills on my 261; not giving up on it just yet though. I usually give the cap a pull after about a quarter turn to see if it's engaged fully.

recall

did anyone see this on the stihl site?? looks like it doesn't apply to saws but i have to believe that the caps are very similar. Recall

In the past I have been extremely critical of Stihl "flippy caps" due to using my neighbors Stihl pole saw. The caps on this are absolutely awful.:angry: It takes some doing to seat these and I formed judgement based on this exposure.

The other day I picked up a MS261 and the caps were a piece of cake to use. So I conclude that all "flippy caps" are not equal. So when a person despises these things which were Stihl 's answer to a problem that didn't exhist, they probably encountered some like the pole saw I mentioned above. By the same token when someone has never had problems, it doesn't mean that all "flippy caps" made by Stihl are without issue and those who don't like them are cretins.

Latest posts

Back