Used compressed air on carb.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I really wish I knew more about carb's. I need to spend more time on this site reading from people in the know. I took my carb off relatively new 290 and used compressed air at close range. Wouldn't start after socalled cleaning. Spent half day trying to get it to fire, and then on this website I read that compressed air at close range to carb is a no-no.
Gas seems to be going right through to muffler. Spark plug is new and is sparking and it won't fire up a bit. What have I done?

Last edited:
Carb

How old is the saw? Check your metering diaphram for stiffness and also check the height of the inlet needle lever. Also check that the H & l SCREWS ARE 1 TURN OUT FROM LIGHTLY SEAT. How far did you take it apart? You may need a complete carb kit/rebuild. Ultrasonic is the way to go.

Last edited:
This will not help now, but it probably depends on what PSI and jet size you used with your compressed air gun whether you create any problems. I've just successfully cleaned a lawn mower carb but used 10psi to blow it out, which is pretty gentle.

Depending on which ports you blew and in which direction, you might have blown out parts of the carb eg seals or inlet needle seat. Given their small size you might not even realize they were blown out.

Why did you try this procedure in the first place? A relatively new 290 should not have needed such a cleaning. Was it not firing correctly before?

Ignorance.

I took the air filter cover off just to clean it and was surprised at how dirty it was. I started blowing it out gently and I just got into it too much. I intended on soaking it in gas before putting it back on. I wasn't aware I could blow pieces out of it.
If gas is getting into the cylinder, why isn't it firing. I wouldn't expect it to idle, but why won't it even fire up?

Last edited:
I took the air filter cover off just to clean it and was surprised at how dirty it was. I started blowing it out gently and I just got into it too much. I intended on soaking it in gas before putting it back on. I wasn't aware I could blow pieces out of it.
If gas is getting into the cylinder, why isn't it firing. I wouldn't expect it to idle, but why won't it even fire up?

Thats simple. Its flooding, meaning too much gas is getting in which also could mean you bent the inlet needle lever and or your gaskets aren't in the right order and or your H & l screws aren't set properly.

If gas is coming out muffler it is flooded. I would check for spark.If you have spark maybe its flooded bad where you need to pull plug and turn engine over then leave alone to let gas evaporate out. Put plug back in and try again.

Thank you so much.

Because of your responses, it's running like new again.
This website, with people like you that respond to problems is the best asset to my business.
I feel confident taking trees down, but learning the mechanics of a chainsaw is my work in progress. Thanks again.

Because of your responses, it's running like new again.
This website, with people like you that respond to problems is the best asset to my business.
I feel confident taking trees down, but learning the mechanics of a chainsaw is my work in progress. Thanks again.

Ok, thats great, now anti-up and share with us the problem......Please? Its all a big learning curve for most of us.

Last edited:
Ok, thats great, now anti-up and share with us the problem......Please? Its all a big learning curve for most of us.

I`m with you Doc, always like to hear back what the problem was so everyone learns and there is a conclusion to the problem. It also helps others that lookup old threads for answers to their problems only to find dead ends and no results. Please post how the problems are resolved.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back