Used engine oil into B&C oil questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. First off I want to just restate the fact that the company I was referring to does make large quantities of B&C oil from used engine oil. With that being said I don't think that a clean filtered product made from used oil would be anymore damaging to the environment than any other. I do agree that veg oil may be overall better but that is not something that i'm looking for. I am just trying to figure out what the best process would be to clean out as many of the contaminants as possible. If I can figure out a process this would be used for a fairly large amount of oil so the savings would be spread across much more than just a few gallons.

Thanks Again
I burn waste oil in my truck. I filter it through 2 'sock' filters, a 15 micron filter followed by 5 micron one. They're easy to find online for a few bucks. Obviously that wont get water out of there, but if you know theres no water in there to begin with, that doesnt matter. Only use oil that you know exactly where it came from.

I wouldnt go spending wads on a centrifuge especially if its just going on your b&c. The tolerances there arent even in the same league as inside an engine so your oil doesnt need to be as good.

I spray my used motor oil around my well to kill all the weeds. I also spray down the cattails in my ponds to kill them. The fish dont really seem to mind. Some have weird growths on them but so do I. Sometimes I even spray my stone in my driveway and then have the kids run it over with their bikes to pack it down. Oil has so many uses. It's what makes the world go-round.
Seriously, if you want a good use for it, you can put a clean-burn in your shop and get some heat out of it. They're a pain to clean though and must be kept clean to burn well. Very expensive to buy also.
I recycle all of mine..... Except for the amount I use to spray on my trees to keep the squirrels from climbin up em. It's funnier en' h*ll watching them little critters slide back down ;)

I dont run it in my saws but the farm I work on useis used tractor motor oil thined out with diesel in all there saws. Dont even filter it. Works but its not going in my saws...

I have had a couple tree company fellows bring in saws for work. ( They run 395XP Husqvarna ). The company provides them with used oil and STP. What a mess. Told them I would only work on them if they came in with the oil drained and cleaned up. They have not been back.

Like I said don't shoot the messenger but I was sure it would happen within a couple of posts. Now I know why so many of us just lurk. Good bye.

I think your overreacting some, dont you think? He didnt shoot the messenger by any means, just gave his opinion about the matter.

if you want to thicken it up just add some used gear oil to the mix. On the other hand another good way to get rid of all that waste oil is to put in a waste oil furnace in your shop. we have been using one for 20 years it works great

Geeze you can still shower in Calif.? or is that just a pipe dream of yours. Please do something about all the Calif. hogwash as it is infecting the rest of the country.

Funny you say that, my sister camped out at a state park in Maine and soap wasn't allowed to be used. Not for washing the body or even dishes. They ended drivin to town after a few days and finding a campground that let them pay a few bucks for shower and sink use.

Oh, and no chance of just ignoring the signs, the park rangers watch like hawks and the fines were crazy.

As far as used oil.... IF... and I mean IF you filter it, I suppose it wouldn't be super terrible. It will be more messy and stink though.
The saws I see with old engine oil, seems 99% just keep the drain pan in a corner outside so it's full of all sorts of junk. Ends up usually killing the oiling system and somehow that's the fault of the "pos saw".

My processor uses AW32 off the hydraulics to lube the chain. It's pretty messy though 95% of it collects on the chain guard or goes in the sawdust. Not all sorts of small parts for it to get sucked into like on a saw and the b&c is much beefier (.404 .080)

B&c oil likely is recycled oil - filtered and then various tac-i-fiers added. Besides filtering acid nutrilization needs to be accomplished- don't know all the steps in the recycle process though.

I burn waste oil in my truck. I filter it through 2 'sock' filters, a 15 micron filter followed by 5 micron one. They're easy to find online for a few bucks. Obviously that wont get water out of there, but if you know theres no water in there to begin with, that doesnt matter. Only use oil that you know exactly where it came from.

I wouldnt go spending wads on a centrifuge especially if its just going on your b&c. The tolerances there arent even in the same league as inside an engine so your oil doesnt need to be as good.
I have been doing the same thing in a 94 Cummins for six years no smoke and great mileage.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I used to as well until I pulled a set of injectors that had maybe 10k miles on fuel and a few gals of used oil mix per tank and they were way more dirty than the same injectors when pulled with 200k on them. All the carbon from the burning oil coked onto the injectors (and I'd guess on the piston tops, valves, head, etc too)

Back