Used first time my dolmar ps 5105: some questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Today I used for the first time my new dolmar ps 5105. I have to say the dealer has not much changed on the carb.
I have the impression that the saw is not making a lot of RPM's. Maybe to break in?

So my questions:

Is it normal that the saw is using a lot of fuel? I have to refill very fast (twice, when my brother is doing double time with his saw?)
When running idle, my saw is stopping quete a lot, I have set the S-tork a lot higher to keep it running, is that normal?
How much time do I have to run before putting it on higher rpm?

Is it worth to change the muffler to a 5100s muffler?

Thanks,
Floris

I'm in the USA and my 5105 had a catalytic muffler before i changed it out for a 5100 muffler.

My 5105 was set very rich when i got it. I had to lean the mixture screws out before using it.

My 5105 when new would crackle and pop around the muffler when you shut it off

The 5100 muffler weighs half what the 5105 muffler weighs and doesn't crackle and pop when you shut the saw off.

Did that dealer use a tach when he set the carb, and make sure that it ran right afterwards?

Last edited:
guys, thx for the reactions.

@ sawtroll: no, the dealer hasn't used a tag.

Can I do it myself?

If I understand well, it is advised to install a 5100-muffler, because it hasn't a cat.

guys, thx for the reactions.

@ sawtroll: no, the dealer hasn't used a tag.

Can I do it myself?

If I understand well, it is advised to install a 5100-muffler, because it hasn't a cat.

Remember that this is a US site - I don't believe the 5105 usually have a cat muffler in Europe, unless you bought the wrong version....

It does sound too rich. That is certainly better than lean.
I wouldn't mess with it if you bought it new from a dealer. I would have him do it. If you adjust it wrong and burn it up he may not honor the warranty.

To tell if you have a cat muffler it will be a goldish silver color somewhat shiny with the oulet pointing forward only. A non cat is silver color a little dullish and the oulet is pointing backwards as well as forwards.

View attachment 221288

Guys, again thanks for the reply's.

Today used again the saw, I have the feeling it is going better. How long do I have to break in this saw?

I posted a picture of the muffler of my saw, I think I don't have a cat?

Today used again the saw, I have the feeling it is going better. How long do I have to break in this saw?
My dealer said to bring mine back for adjustment after @ 10 tanks.

Is it normal that the saw is using a lot of fuel? I have to refill very fast (twice, when my brother is doing double time with his saw?)

Your brother going twice as long as you between fuelling depends on what saw he is using.

Your photo looks like the 5100S muffler so I think you are okay there. :msp_smile:

This is the 5100 muffler

221288d1328193376-dolmar_mufflet-jpg

Good news it is a 5100 muffler, we don't need that cat :msp_biggrin:

My brother is using a stihl MS250. The saw has already 2 years, and he's doing the double at this time.

As Brian says, I also think the saw is too rich (to break in).
I have turned the S-screw 4 times, if not, is was stopping when running idle.

EDIT: I am using ASPEN 2 fuel

To tell if you have a cat muffler it will be a goldish silver color somewhat shiny with the oulet pointing forward only. A non cat is silver color a little dullish and the oulet is pointing backwards as well as forwards.

I also want to buy a 5105 and i was wondering how can I recognize a cat muffler. You said that on a non-cat the outlet is pointing backwards and forwards; how can you tell from this picture?; I ask because i can't...

Just run it like it is for 6-10 tanks of fuel. The RPM at full throttle should increase as the rings become seated and the engine is broken in. As the engine becomes broken in, idle speed need to be readjusted. Let the dealer check and adjust your saw after about 10 tanks of fuel.

Last edited:
Good news it is a 5100 muffler, we don't need that cat :msp_biggrin:

My brother is using a stihl MS250. The saw has already 2 years, and he's doing the double at this time.

As Brian says, I also think the saw is too rich (to break in).
I have turned the S-screw 4 times, if not, is was stopping when running idle.

EDIT: I am using ASPEN 2 fuel

S-screw???? ...and what do you mean by 4 times????

Aspen is fine, just continue to use that! ;)

S-screw???? ...and what do you mean by 4 times????

Aspen is fine, just continue to use that! ;)

the dealer did tune the saw with regular gas in combination with husqvarna 2T-oil.

When i putted in aspen, the saw stopped at running iddle. So I had to adjust de S-screw by turning it 4 times.

Now, I also run on regular gas in combination with husky 2T oil; the saw is running better.
The dealer also advised me to put in more oil, 1:30 ??

The dealer also advised me to put in more oil, 1:30 ??
I wouldn't. More oil = less gas = leaner = hotter.
Synthetic oils are normally run at 40:1-50:1
Read the label on the oil that you are using. I'm pretty sure it will recommend 50:1

OK guys, we tuned the saw tonight.
For infomation: the saw was drinking a lot of fuel, when gas was empty, the oil for the chain was about 2/3 full.
So we tuned it:

I used a rpm-meter, and at full throttle the saw runned about 9,800/10,000 rpm (running free).

We tuned the L-screw (finding highest rpm), and next adjusting the S-screw (running idle now at about 2300rpm). We had to adjust de L & S screw quite a lot.

Then accelerating, and fune-tuning the L-screw so the saw was "taking up" (accelerating) good. Then adjusted the H-screw, and now the saw is running at about 13,400 rpm. What a difference!!! Now, there is a lot more oil on the chain, because it is running at higher speed I suppose. Sounds much better, tommorow I will test it on wood (it is almost night here, so testing it now isnt' possible :rock:)

Latest posts

Back