Used Husqvarna 357XP and 372. Good deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianblack138

Reaction score
I'm new to this site, and this is my first post, but it has already helped answer a lot of questions for me in my recent quest to purchase the right saw.

I don't cut wood for a living and for a couple of years a Husqvarna 455 has served me well in maintaining my small farm, felling dead trees and cutting up downed branches. Unfortunately, someone stole my saw from my garage along with a substantial amount of other equipment (Echo trimmer, gas blower, stick welder). I knew that I needed a chainsaw but didn't want to just buy another 455 without doing some research. After reading some of the posts on this site, I decided that I should spend the money to buy a good professional saw and be done with it. I have a dead spruce that needs to come down, and for the amount I would pay someone to fell it and cut it up, it was worth it to just buy the saw and do it myself.

I went back and forth on brands and ultimately opted to stick with the one that I was comfortable with (I've owned a few Huskvarnas). I was planning on getting a new 762xp, figuring that it would be more than enough saw for anything I ever needed to do. However, I figured that I could save some money by buying a used 372.

Earlier this week, I did just that. However, I got lucky and found a two-for. I found a local guy selling his 5 year old 372 with a 24" bar AND a 2 year old 357XP with a 20" bar for $500 for both. They both looked to be in good condition (gas looked good, air filter looked good, bar and chain were pretty new and well maintained, little to no front sprocket play) and I had a good feeling about the guy who was selling it (retired military, getting out of the tree business). He even volunteered to help me out if I had any questions in the future. I confirmed that the serial number plates were both on the saws (I explained to the guy that it wasn't that I didn't trust him, but that ever since I got ripped off I make it a point to check to make sure I'm not buying anything that was stolen from someone) and I paid the asking price without haggling.

However, the saws were used and the 357XP had a broken brake. The seller explained that an oak log rolled over on the brake and snapped it off. I figured that for the price, I was still getting a really good deal. Was my assessment correct or did I get raked over the coals? Also, about how much would it cost to have a new brake put on the 357XP? Other than rust on the mufflers, these saws look really good. Should I get the mufflers replaced/modified or should I just use them as is?

If they're both in good mechanical condition then that's a good deal :msp_thumbup:

You got a good deal. Brake handle for the 357 is inexpensive.

I think you done pretty good my self. That`s $250.00 a saw and have seen others pay more than that for those models. I wouldn`t replace the mufflers at all.

What you did was buy the saw that you're fixing to sell to me! I've never had my hands on a Husky and I think that 357 would be a perfect starting piece. How much do you want?

Thanks for the input guys.

As for the mufflers, I am going to keep them the way they are right now strictly due to the fact that I'm tapped out for money. In addition to buying the saws, I also had to buy a new riding mower, the carb on my tractor is acting up AND the A/C evaporator core on my truck just went out. To make matters worse, I just found a nail in one of my brand new truck tires (past the corner of the tire of course, so a patch won't hold).

I'll use the saws as they are (with some synthetic oil in them) and hold off on any modifications until the fall. I will take the smaller saw in to a Husky repair shop to get the brake protector repaired.

Bringing down and cutting up this 40ft spruce should be a good introduction to the saws for me. They should cut through it like butter so if they don't, I'll let you all know.

To make matters worse, I just found a nail in one of my brand new truck tires (past the corner of the tire of course, so a patch won't hold).

Hi
I'v fixed tires all my life,and the spot you are talking about is no problem.A nail is such a minor injury to a tire.Just like chainsaw shops,good tires get tossed all the time.Back when i was starting my trucking business i would salvage good tires from the dump and repair them,at one time all i had on my lowbed was tires from the dump,they get thrashed from loading cats with growsers anyhow.
Find a tire shop with and old guy working it,or a Mom and Pop shop they can fix it.
I would fix it for you but distance is to far.
Or get a plug kit,the kind with the rope plugs,they work great.I'v got a tire on my truck that is pluged in about the same spot,been about 4yrs and no leaks.
Thomas

I think you did great. My best friend loves his 357XP. Now you have a lifetime supply of saws. Congrats.:hmm3grin2orange:

Yes, provided they are mechanically sound.

However, those saws looks older than the seller stated - I would like to know the serial numbers.

Latest posts

Back