used lumber w nails into a chipper ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondnstream

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever put lumber with nails into a chipper.
We have a potential job to remove a tree-house and the suggestion was made to sacrifice a set of chipper blades and run the lumber thru the chipper along with the rest of the tree.
I've never tried that but I know that nails and screws are thin and relatively soft steel.
We have a mid sized 6 cyl gas chipper with a 40" disc and two blades.
Its probably not a good idea but I had to ask .

Thanks.

No worse than the groundies shoveling stuff into it. Invariably stones and such that way. Blade prices have risen quite a bit , like a minimum of 65% so just be aware.

I sharpen a lot of chipper blades, a lot come in looking like dog eared fence tops from stones and such. There is only about 3/8 to 1/2" of material that can be removed before they are too short width wise. Using undersized blades leads to jamming issues. Dull/damaged blades are hard on the machine plus cause increased fuel consumption.

I sharpen a lot of chipper blades, a lot come in looking like dog eared fence tops from stones and such. There is only about 3/8 to 1/2" of material that can be removed before they are too short width wise. Using undersized blades leads to jamming issues. Dull/damaged blades are hard on the machine plus cause increased fuel consumption.
So do I and my rule of thumb is, more than 1/8" divot in a knife and it goes to Omni Source.. Same applies to anvils. Priced new knives or anvils from any manufacturer lately? Sticker shock time. Customer dropped of a set of large 5 hole Bandit knives. Called him and told him to come get them as they were junk.

Back