Used MS460 value ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks

If anyone is interested in the 660, let me know.

Id be glad to check it out & ship it.

I figure i have a better chance at the 460 if I offer a package deal on both of them.

Mike,
I see that you live in Old Monroe, I live in Moscow Mills. Who has the saws that you're talking about? I would be interested in the 660, depending on price of course, plus you wouldn't have to worry about shipping it.

Jason

Jason,

The seller is in Ofallon.

His Sister lives in Winfield. We might be meeting tomorrow or sometime this week.

Speaking of Winfield, do you need any firewood ??

I found a sweet deal in Winfield.

Send me a Pm with your email adress

Mike

They look pretty clean to me. Keep in mind what these sell for new! They should be worth at least 50% of new in the condition pictured...so the 460 should be worth at least $400, the 660 $550.

I don't know guys.

The add says "low usage...from a tree service company." It looks arguable judging from the bar and clutch cover on the 660.

Be careful. If you have the chance to run 'em first, do it.

Good luck.

I am going to look at them this week.

Im not going to buy unless I can pull the muffler cover.

I am also going to bring some fresh mix & my comp tester.

What kind of compression numbers should I be looking for on the 460 ?? (warm & cold)

Id love the 660, but I cant afford both.

The seller said he has been offered $400 on the 660

Update:

I picked up the 460 tonight. Got it for $200

The seller contacted me last night & said he could not get it to start & said he would take it to the shop & have it fixed.

I told him to save his money & I would fix it & we would re-negotiate the price. (I originally offered $300 for the saw if it passed my inspection)

Well, I got there, checked the P & C & it looked good,

Tried to start with the decomp on & it kicked like a mule.

I tried & tried & all it did was about rip my arm off. It kept on kicking back.

It would fire, but not start & run.

Well, I finally figured out that the decomp valve is bad. The spring must be broke or weak. if you push it in, a half a$$ed pull of the starter will re seat it.

I could barely pull it over with the decomp off after trying 50 times & being bit (I was wore out)

I finally got it to start. Sounded good & idled good (on both of its sides as well) carb (or his mix) was a bit rich. Other than that, no obvious issues.

Anyway, it is dirty & needs a good clean up. Bar & chain are well worn (orig bar) & will need replaced soon. Other than that, she looks good.

The 660 is still available. The highest offer on it so far is $475 & its in a little better shape than the 460 that I got.

Turns out that these saws were bought new for katrina clean up. Used hard for several weeks (or more) & then put up & have sat ever since.

I will post some pics once I have it all cleaned up.

What will a decomp cost me ??

Also, the muffler outlet is pathetic. How the hell 76 cc is able to breathe through that tiny hole is beyond me.......So, you know the first thing that will be done....

GAH! Thief! (jk jk) Excellent scoop there! +10!!!!!
Bit of TLC and your new buddy will be near as happy as you :cheers:

:cheers:

Serge

I'd offer him 500 on the 660 and snap it up as well,,,and give him a kiss while youre at it,,,eh?

get that funky old fuel out of it and get some fresh quality synthetic premix in it,,, Ultra is good!!!

yeah u stole the 460 open the hole on the muffler to just under .5 in

and get the ms440 factory dual port cover re-adjust the carb you will have to remove the limiter caps, the new decomp is bout 14-16.00

Great find!!!!

Last edited:
I'm the one that sent the guy the offer on the 660 so don't snath it up. :biggrinbounce2: I have a 046 but could have used another one. I'm just glad someone from here go it.

Scott

Great find Mike. When I get the d*mn bathroom finished, we should get all the StL guys together and find a decent Craigslist "free wood" offer.

Well, I promised a pic, so here it is...

Scott, did you get the 660 yet ??

Did I hear someone say something about cold beer.....

Update:

Tried to start with the decomp on & it kicked like a mule.

I tried & tried & all it did was about rip my arm off. It kept on kicking back.

As I've said a million times before: if you can't start a stock 46 without the decomp, you probably need to either learn how to pull rope, or question whether you're strong enough to be running it. Seriously. There is the odd chance that there is something wrong with the ignition, but that is really slim. Stihl guarantees their coils for life, and for good reason. I can start my 660 without the decomp, and the compression's raised and the ignition's advanced. I see plenty of girls that can't pull rope on a 36 without the decomp, they just can't hold on tight enough or pull hard enough. I really don't mean this to be a personal attack, simply stating the harsh truth that odds are, there isn't anything wrong with the saw that's making it harder to pull over, and that you should have the strength to yard on it without the decomp.

Latest posts

Back