*USED* stihl 361 OR husqvarna 365 special??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cw_wright

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
we've always used stihl chainsaws but my dad recently smashed his ms361 and is looking for a replacement. a guy up the street has a 365 Special with about 20 tanks of fuel ran through it for $300.... so my questions are..

is this a good price for a 365 in pretty good shape? or should he save his money until i find a 361?

which one is more durable? he'll only run an 18" bar on it and we rarely get into too much stuff bigger than 30"...

we cut firewood to heat our own house and deliver around 200-250 loads each yr so our saws get PLENTY of use.

thanks for any help!

doesnt sound like a terrible price for the 365. i suppose its all in preference and you will get all kinds of opinions

I am biased towards the 365 because I own one. Hard to go wrong with this model. It could turn a guy off stihl forever. The ms361 seems to have a good reputation but you do not have one for sale at the moment to make comparison based on used condition. Thats the problem with used saws you often only get to make a decision on one saw at a time.

If you look for a bit, you may be able to find a 372/440/460 for $300....

Have to be in the right place at the right time...

I havent ran a 365 so I won't comment on it. I have a 361 and love it. I would think the 365 would have a tad bit more power, and be heavier.

I would look for a used 440 myself. I can't tell the difference in weight from a 361 and they are great saws. Now that they're back out, people are parting with used ones.

Last edited:
The 365sp has impressed my very much it is not the fastest most nimble saw out there but has tons of torque and power. Like said above it can be made into a 372. The 365sp is my all around saw and if you can pick one up for $300 get on it.

The average price of a used 026 seems to be between 200.00$$ to 300.00$$ so 300.00$$ for a 365 sounds more than fair .
After spending quite a few hours behind a couple of 361's and a 2171 I do know there is a weight difference and prefer the 361 at 16" and down but If I had to replace the 361's I know that the 365 will get the job done and for 300.00$$ on a like "new" is a no brainer .

I would still miss the 361 .

the real world weight difference is more like 1.5lbs in favor of the 361. But as Niko alluded to, in a bucking situation I don't think that weight is as important. The 365 is definitely stronger and will put a smile on your face with an 18" bar.
For $300, I would be on it like stink on a June bug.

Back