Uses for saw dust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rake mine up and use it at the end of the Garden season to keep weeds from growing over the winter, here in SE Virginia weeds grow all year round, and since I hate weeding a garden before I plant my maters and corn I like to keep them from growing, plus I can till it in when spring comes.

You have soil down there? Jeez, when I was stationed there all they had was sand and tourists. ;o)

You have soil down there? Jeez, when I was stationed there all they had was sand and tourists. ;o)

Actually no what we have is sand mixed with fill dirt on top of a swamp, I live in Cardinal Estates, just off of Shipps Corner Road and I had to get 5 tandem. loads of dirt when I first moved in to stop the neighbor kids from fishing in my back yard after a rain LOL

So I use saw dust to help fertilize the fill dirt

It is dirty

Chips from chainsawing are contaminated with bar oil, not to sure I would use that for animal bedding. I do use it for mulch around the raspberry plants, they like acidic soil and saw chips are fairly acidic.

Actually no what we have is sand mixed with fill dirt on top of a swamp, I live in Cardinal Estates, just off of Shipps Corner Road and I had to get 5 tandem. loads of dirt when I first moved in to stop the neighbor kids from fishing in my back yard after a rain LOL

So I use saw dust to help fertilize the fill dirt

I have no clue where that is. I haven't been there in 40+ years. It was ALL sand. I put a fair bit of sawdust and noodles in the composter. They break down fairly quickly. I probably already said that. ;o)

Just bought 5 acres of hunting property and been researching a Sawdust toilet.
But gotta have a compost heap for it to be disposable.

Back