USFS Chainsaw cert to contract in Virginia State Park?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT@bdi

Reaction score
I am looking at doing some felling work and general tree care work as a part of another contract in a Virginia State Park. We are fully insured to do this kind of work. I have experienced Fellers and Sawyers working with me. We have ISA chainsaw safety certs, I have held a Class B USFS saw cert but in typical fashion the USDA USFS can't find a thing.
I have contracted to do work with the BLM and USFS to do fuels reduction work in the past and have never had to produce any saw certification.
Any help on what I should Do? It is dealing with the Commonwealth of Virginia so......

Thanks for any info
JT

Have you tried contacting the USFS unit were you were trained? I would suspect there is a better chance of them having something than any national database. You might also contact some of the units who had hired you in the past...they may have gotten copies of your certifications without you knowing.

I am looking at doing some felling work and general tree care work as a part of another contract in a Virginia State Park. We are fully insured to do this kind of work. I have experienced Fellers and Sawyers working with me. We have ISA chainsaw safety certs, I have held a Class B USFS saw cert but in typical fashion the USDA USFS can't find a thing.
I have contracted to do work with the BLM and USFS to do fuels reduction work in the past and have never had to produce any saw certification.
Any help on what I should Do? It is dealing with the Commonwealth of Virginia so......

Thanks for any info
JT

I'd try what ATH recommended, but I would also not hesitate to call or write your state representative and state senator who represent your district in Richmond and explain your situation. Tell them you want to work, but this paper work request is jamming you up. Constituent service should be their main focus, and usually if those guys can help you they will. You have nothing to lose by calling them and it can't hurt.

I have spoken with my supervisors and my training officer for the USFS. They are not finding the certificate or proof. This only helps with me, I am not aware of any other state or federal land that has required a contractor to comply with this level of chainsaw training. Though I see the benefit of proper training (as a company we have a strong training and safety program), I feel that the requirement is excessive. The head ranger for the park that I am looking at working in is the one stating the requirement and I am working to try to get it all straight.

Latest posts

Back