Using a standard RS sealed bearing instead of a separate crank seal.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me there are two different bearing/seal set ups between the 056 and 056mag series which you had to check via bib number.

I know where there are 7 of these bearings/seals are sitting in eastern iowa but the guys wants $79ea for them!

Sometimes you have to suck it up and pay a few extra bucks to get an old saw running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea how much it would cost to remake one of those bearings. They seem to have the races offset in the housings to accommodate the seal.

Might be possible to use a 17 x 42 x 13 bearing and see if you could find a 17x ?? x thin seal. Maybe surface grind the bearing down in thickness if you needed more room. Turn a housing to fill the gap between the OD of the seal and the 42mm.

Saegenspezi has been reproducing parts for the older Stihl saws for quite some time. I've bought some 090 re-pop parts from him with good results.

"Versand nach:Weltweit" That means he ships worldwide.
yeah i have been using this seller for some time now.. fast cheap shipping. much cheaper shipping from germany that the US.. go figure.

No idea how much it would cost to remake one of those bearings. They seem to have the races offset in the housings to accommodate the seal.

Might be possible to use a 17 x 42 x 13 bearing and see if you could find a 17x ?? x thin seal. Maybe surface grind the bearing down in thickness if you needed more room. Turn a housing to fill the gap between the OD of the seal and the 42mm.
i had my turner at work turn some bearings up for the clutch side stihl 031. as nobody as them; and when stihl did they were over $100. they came up a treat.

I know where there are 7 of these bearings/seals are sitting in eastern iowa but the guys wants $79ea for them!

Sometimes you have to suck it up and pay a few extra bucks to get an old saw running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or suck something...that's insane pricing. I hope he's got those covered in cosmoline & inside/conditioned storage.

Two brand new S056 PTO bearings with seals just sold for $18 each on the popular FeePay auction site.

Installed those new seals yet? :innocent:

Curious on how they fit in & pressure/vacuum tested, as most clutch side NOS seals found these days are clapped out already from poor storage & 20-30 years of old age.

New production seals are the way to go, when you can find them!

Mine have not arrived yet. When they do it will be a little while before I install them. The saw will be torn down for powder coating when I get all the needed bits for the restoration.

Installed those new seals yet? :innocent:

Not yet.
Decided to change the exhaust on my land rover the other day. Only 5 bolts. So 6 hours later I was looking at the inside of the turbo going "bollocks" as there were bits of compressor wheel missing. Just got it back together!
Driving an estate car with no dog guard for a week has been fun, since my 80+lb german shepherd likes to try sit on my lap!

Back