Usps>ups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdius

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new bar and chain for my husky From Bailey's and it shipped on the 4th through UPS ground.

A little while later I bought a Stihl 460 from another AS member, went back to Bailey's and ordered a bar and chain for it. It shipped USPS priority mail on the 9th. This was only $3 more than the UPS ground, and about $10 cheaper than UPS Three day select.

Got the first bar yesterday (shipped UPS on the 4th, received on the 10th around 5PM)
Got the other bar today about 10AM local time (Shipped USPS on the 9th, received on the 11th before lunch.)

I heart the post office, it is like Christmas in March.

Just waiting and drooling for the new saw to arrive!

I despise Fedex. Never had alot of luck getting fast shipments from them. My GF works for their customer service so I have a good idea about how they run things. UPS is the safest for me, while USPS Priority seems pretty good too.

Fedex> all if you have an account.

Fedex is usually pretty good about finding me out in the boonies, though it was one of their drivers that buried a truck up to the axle trying to go down a fence row instead of a driveway down the road from me.

2.5 days from Northen Cali to the middle of Texas is plenty fast for me. (even more so, since the bar beat the saw to me.)

I despise Fedex. Never had alot of luck getting fast shipments from them. My GF works for their customer service so I have a good idea about how they run things. UPS is the safest for me, while USPS Priority seems pretty good too.

UPS cannot even find my house half the time. I'll see them go roaring down the road before I can get to the end of the driveway to stop them, and then the next day I'll get a card in the mail from them stating that my address does not exist (even though it is the same address to which they mailed the card.) This is even with a 2'x4' sign I put up at the mail box with my name and house number. Most of the drivers are too busy looking at the GPS to actually look at where they are really at, and most GPS programs show my house about 1/4 mile farther down the road than I really am.

Shipping from the west coast via UPS ground to my little part of ohio often takes 7 business days. That seems like an eternity to wait for a Bailey's order. Usually USPS priority is no more than 3 days

Shipping from the west coast via UPS ground to my little part of ohio often takes 7 business days. That seems like an eternity to wait for a Bailey's order. Usually USPS priority is no more than 3 days

Yep Priority mail is 2-3 day anywhere in the US, and usually costs the same or less than UPS/FEDEX ground. This is especially useful if you are having something shipped across the country which generally takes about a week for UPS or fedex.

For me, living in North Carolina I always try and get USPS when ordering from Baileys. Just like the OP stated about 3 bucks higher, but so much quicker. Never have liked Fed Ex.

I've had similar luck with Baileys. UPS ground takes all of a week. The USPS rate is always better to my door from Baileys and it only takes 3 days.

As for fedEx...I was shipping about $300,000/yr with them through our company. We ship equipment all over the world for projects. Their rate is good and they ship anywhere. Then they lost a $25k survey control unit on us. The tracking clearly stated that it went to their sort facility and never left. We paid just shy of $300 to insure it for $25k from Massachusetts to Denver. it was also a next day air shipment (about $475 in postage). it never arrived and our guys were delayed but that was beside the point, accidents do happen. What really pissed me off is when I wasted some 30hrs on the phone with FedEx claims. The eventually claimed that they did not owe us the $25k insured price because the unit was not new and we had no invoice to prove it's value even though I had a letter fromt he manufacturer stating replacement cost. We ended up hiring a lawyer for the tune of a few thousand dollars and were able to get the insurance money after about 16 months. All said they lost a $300k/yr account because they hire incompetent idiots (no offense to the guy above GF). I would walk my package to it's destination before i will ever ship with them again.

Last edited:
I've had the best luck with fedex and equally poor experiences with UPS and USPS. I'll choose USPS before UPS ground any day though.

UPS has always worked for me, no incidents, no accidents, no problems, but they may not be the fastest. I can always wait a day or two longer if it means a hassle free delivery. West coast deliveries take 5,or 6 days with UPS. Did have one East coast delivery take 3 days with USPS.

We had too many packages lost for stupid reasons with UPS. We ship mainly USPS (with very little problem), and Fedex for heavier items. Priority Mail is very fast and reliable, but expensive for anything over 4 or 5 lbs.

Edge and Engine gets my business now. Cheaper prices, cheaper shipping and faster shipping.

Edge and Engine gets my business now. Cheaper prices, cheaper shipping and faster shipping.

Absolutely! The service is terrific! They will always be my first option!

My $.02 on the shipping topic: I put a lot of responsibility on the shipper, especially those businesses that ship the same way no matter what the size/weight is. They don't realize how much they can save by shipping USPS First Class when the weight is 13 oz or less.

USPS is good if you do not care about what you are getting. They have virtually nonexistant tracking. FedEX and UPS have been very reliable and very handy for tracking shipments. If you have a FedEX account, overnight shipping is much more affordable. I have dealt with FedEX CS on multiple occasions starting back when I worked as a field engineer and shipped products nearly daily with them - always stellar customer service, and very rarely needed.

USPS is good if you do not care about what you are getting. They have virtually nonexistant tracking. FedEX and UPS have been very reliable and very handy for tracking shipments. If you have a FedEX account, overnight shipping is much more affordable. I have dealt with FedEX CS on multiple occasions starting back when I worked as a field engineer and shipped products nearly daily with them - always stellar customer service, and very rarely needed.

I agree :agree2:

Their tracking is total BS. They won't post nothing for 3 days and then, wen your shipment comes, you look and it says shipped. :laugh:

Whats the use of giving tracking numbers if you're not going to update it? :bang:

USPS tracking is not that bad. it isn't as up to the minute as UPS, but when i see my packages hit jacksonville, i know that i will be getting them in the next day's mail. USPS Priority is the way to go for smaller stuff. when shipping saws, i still use UPS. their distribution center is on my way home.

Latest posts

Back